YA books being made into films

colebooks

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
So happy about the adaption of 'Tiger Eyes' can't wait to see it.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been said already or not, but Vampire Academy is being adapted into a movie called Vampire Academy: Blood Sisters. It's suppose to be released in 2014. They already have everyone for the cast and for the most part, I am kind of not impressed.

However, I will withhold judgement until I see the movie considering I've read the first three books of the series a few years ago.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a paranormal romance girl normally, but I will champion SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater for as long as it takes! It's in the vein of Twilight etc in that there's a gorgeous pnr guy in love with an ordinary girl, but Sam is anything but Patch-the-sex-pest or Edward-the-virgin-but-still-a-pest .

I think it would work more as a melancholy love story, with lots of focus on character and setting in addition to the action (like Jane Austen's PERSUASION in terms of the aesthetics).

I totally know this is thread talking about movies actually coming out, but I couldn't resist ;)

P.S. Plus, yay 1,500th post!

tiger19447

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
This super swank corner of the universe called Ear
I don't know if this has been said already but they're making a Divergent movie, and they're also planning to make a movie of The Fault in Our Stars, both starring Shailene Woodley :) As for me, I think I'd like to see my current WIP being filmed as a TV show, because I feel like a lot more detail could go into it. A movie would be fun too though c:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
The film of Meg Rosoff's How I Live Now is out in the UK on 18 October.

The BBFC have just given it a 15 certificate, and I'm glad to see that not every older-end YA novel gets toned down to 12A/PG-13 levels when they get filmed. The 15 is for "strong language, once very strong, strong sex, violence and threat".

Diminishingmirage

Registered
Reaction score
Im excited to see the mortal instruments come to theatres it was a let for me when I saw the Host, I loved the book but the movie fell way short. Im a little biased but if my book series made it to publishing I would love to see it come to movies it is a series about reincarnation and past lives so it would be cool to see the characters immersed in the lives on the big screen, it would be difficult too as I hate when they stray too far from the book, I know it must be done at times but it must be done gently!

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Rudy looked entirely too young. He looks seven in some of the pictures, not 12 or 13.

Hopefully the trailer will be released soon as well.

AdamR85

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrossbooks.com
I'm sure somebody's mentioned this way back in the thick weeds of the thread, but . . . Orson Scott Card's YA classic Ender's Game is also due out in November.

As one of my friends put it, "I'm super excited this is finally getting made, and I'm going to be super disappointed when it inevitably fails to live up to its promise."

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
Aw man, I'm gonna cry so hard at The Book Thief movie. I hope the movie is as good the stills make it look! It also seems like the type of thing that could definitely draw in people unfamiliar with the book, which is always good for sales!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Rudy looked entirely too young. He looks seven in some of the pictures, not 12 or 13.

Hopefully the trailer will be released soon as well.

I think it'll work. A LOT of boys, when they're 12 or 13, are well behind the "norm" as far as puberty and growth. There were plenty who hadn't hit 5'0" when I was that age. And girls are often early developers. So I think it's fine. Plus it's cute to have Rudy seem a little younger than Liesel :p

I absolutely cannot wait for a trailer. I'm most excited about the score -- I hope it's breathtaking!

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I just imagined him looking around the same age as her, if not older.

Still, I think it looks great and I hope they can do the book justice. It sounds like people have more faith in it if they're going to release it in November with all of the Oscar-contenders and blockbusters. I can't wait to see it! I figure I'll just take a whole box of tissues with me. :)

I hope they'll have really good imagery. Markus, the author, was wonderful at describing the sky and the town that I hope they do that justice. It kind of concerns me that Death is not mentioned in the cast. I see how that could have taken away from the film, but I also think it could have added to it. If they had Death in the typical wraith robes and whatnot, then I think it would have been silly, but if they had him wearing black 1940s attire and just sort of blending in with everyone, I think that could have been interesting to see.

Last edited:

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to Ender's Game in November, and I just saw the preview for Mortal Instruments last night! I freaked a little...

It's crazy to me... when I was a kid, it seemed like no one had even heard of the YA/YA fantasy I read... and now they're all movies!!

Not completely sure how I feel about it... I always love the book more than the movie, but it is exciting seeing pages of a beloved novel on screen :)

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Beautiful Creatures and absolutely loved it. Although I haven't read the books. I feel like reading them will just make me angry (oh they missed this detail, they completely changed this, etc. etc.). But might give it a go still.

Also they have photos of the Maze Runner cast now! Eeep!

I actually think Beautiful Creatures is the rare case where I might enjoy the movie over the book. The book was... long... the only reason I finished it was because I'd already purchased it. It has its good qualities, but I really felt I would have enjoyed it more if it was pretty much chopped in half. (IMO!!!) Movies aren't usually upwards of 3 hours, so I'm thinking the movie might be an improvement :D

Taylor Kowalski

professional mountain troll
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mostlytaylor.com
I had no idea that The Book Thief is being made into a movie! God, those stills alone look incredible. I can't wait to see it.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I didn't read all of Beautiful Creatures (about 100 pages of nothing) but I watched the movie hoping it would make me pick the book back up... it didn't. Not impressed. I think mostly because the ending didn't make much sense to me, felt like you had to read the book.

Divergent finished up filming this month, and The Fault In Our Stars starts. Apparently shailene is playing the lead in both and Ansel Egort is in both as well. He's jumping from Caleb, Shailene's (Tris) brother to Agustus... her love interest. Awkward :)

OctoberLee

Registered
Reaction score
Good to know Tromboli... I was thinking Beautiful Creatures The Movie's saving grace might be that at least it had pretty pictures? But I suppose you could throw pretty pictures into any bleh book and it wouldn't do too much help...

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a film, but Michael Grant's 'GONE' series has been bought by Sony and will be turned into a television series. Will be interesting to see how it goes as it features an entirely underage set of characters and places them in truly disturbing and violent scenarios.

Will definitely be post-watershed.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Divergent finished up filming this month, and The Fault In Our Stars starts. Apparently shailene is playing the lead in both and Ansel Egort is in both as well. He's jumping from Caleb, Shailene's (Tris) brother to Agustus... her love interest. Awkward :)

That's... weird. I wasn't aware Ansel Elgort was in both, as well. I'm wayyy more excited for the TFIOS movie than I am for Divergent :p but then, I'm a contemporary girl through and through.

one_trick

Registered
Reaction score
The funny thing is that I had quite high expectations from the HG movie (being written by a screenwriter and all) and it turned out to be a disappointment. The flashback scene with Katniss and Peeta is still giving me nightmares. So I don't have any hopes for Divergent.