How do i know what to charge?

storylady

Registered
Reaction score
I am super excited because I just got my very 1st freelance writing gig. I will be writing 4 articles per month - 500-700 words each? I do have a little problem because I have no clue what to charge?? Like I said it's my 1st writing job so I do not want to charge to much but then again I do not want to sell myself sort either. Can anyone give me a good start out range on what I should be charging for blog & articles? Thanks

storylady

Registered
Reaction score
5 cents a word is very, very low...don't forget about the time you'll spend researching, editing, etc, you need to charge more to compensate for that.

Thanks. I am new to this world so I am trying to be reasonable. Everywhere I read, it just says ask for what you are worth but does not give an average on what people charge per word. I want to start low so I can learn as I go but also do not want to start 2 low because that shows I am new & not confident in my skills. May I ask what you charge? I know I will not be able to ask as much as you because I see you have much more experience but it would give me a good idea on where I should start. Thank you so much!

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sheena,

What you will be paid will probably be based on a few things such as, is it online or print? Is it a well-established publication and does it have a large readership? Have you already been assigned the articles or are they waiting for you to cite a price first?

Congratulations, by the way!:)

Last edited:

storylady

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sheena,

What you will be paid will probably be based on a few things such as, is it online or print? Is it a well-established publication and does it have a large readership? Have you already been assigned the articles or are they waiting for you to cite a price first?

Congratulations, by the way!:)

It's a small website all about animals & I got the email saying they wanted me to write 500-700 articles and wanted to know what I charged because they would love to have me on their team. After responding 10cents per word I have not heard back from them. That was what I was afraid would happen & that's why I wanted an average of what people charge. I guess I asked for 2 much cause I don't think I have the job anymore :(!

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
It's a small website all about animals & I got the email saying they wanted me to write 500-700 articles and wanted to know what I charged because they would love to have me on their team. After responding 10cents per word I have not heard back from them. That was what I was afraid would happen & that's why I wanted an average of what people charge. I guess I asked for 2 much cause I don't think I have the job anymore :(!

How long ago did you email them? If it's been a little while, it might be worth your while to send them a follow-up email just in case they missed your original email in their inbox. Don't panic just yet!;)

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
I think it's hard to recommend rates. Each writer has different experience, a different living situation and different types of clients. It also depends on how much work is involved - research, interviews, etc.

Each individual knows what his or her time is worth. I wouldn't go so low it's a joke - do make sure the end justifies the means. Also, just because one person doesn't like your rates, doesn't mean another won't accept them. I think if more writers stuck to their guns, rate wise, there wouldn't be so many low payers out there.

Figure out what rate works best for you (ten cents per word seems fair to me) and go for the jobs that will pay that much.

storylady

Registered
Reaction score
Update.. I got the job doing 5 articles a month. 500 words. Thanks for all the advice. I am charging 10cents a word. Once I get my name out there I will bump up my rates. Thanks again!