What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCDavis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently about 60% through with Susan Ee's ANGELFALL. Which is just as well, since the second book is due out soon-ish. It's definitely holding my attention. I didn't think I'd like it this much.

EmilyBrooke

Queen of Gallifrey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just finished THE BITTER KINGDOM and goodness gracious did I love it.

Getting ready to start CODE NAME VERITY. I know, I'm so behind the times!

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING by Robyn Schneider. I've been dying to read this one for awhile. I have high hopes. Though, I loved the old cover and title; SEVERED HEADS, BROKEN HEARTS stands out way more than the new title.

You should give it a chance! It took me 50 or so pages to really appreciate the voice, but once I got into it, I flew through it.
I finished The Beginning of Everything! I want to hear what someone else thinks when you get finished! :)

I'll go ahead and put Dairy Queen on my list. I've got a ton of things to finish before I get to it, but I'll give it a try. Have you read the other two books?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've almost finished THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN by Holly Black and it's okay but it just hasn't done it for me and I think it's because the story is so predictable - you can see every event that's going to happen - so much so that I got to wondering why the MC couldn't tell that certain things were going to happen. The male MC is also not doing it for me because he's got the whole mannered crazy thing going on that's supposed to be exciting but leaves me meh. I do love the description of the antagonist's parties though and I did believe in Coldtown as a concept but all in all, it wasn't all that for me.

Moving onto some grown up fiction for a bit.

MM

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I finished THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE by Jennifer E. Smith the other day. Cute, and I had fun reading it, but I'm already starting to forget it.

Now reading THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US by Kasie West, which may have been a mistake because it has some weird similarities to THIS IS WHAT HAPPY LOOKS LIKE. Girl with single mother whose mom owns a shop, girl works in shop with her mother, mysteries surrounding girl's absent father, uber-rich love interest, beach town... it's uncanny :p

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Started FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell earlier today. So far so good.

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm horribly late but I just finished DIVERGENT and INSURGENT this past weekend. Yeah, two days.

I was told I'd like Roth's writing style, and while it certainly wasn't the worst thing ever, it didn't knock my socks off. The world is cool though, but I'm probably still used to Cormac McCarthy's 'poetic aura' from THE ROAD, which I read before these two.

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm horribly late but I just finished DIVERGENT and INSURGENT this past weekend. Yeah, two days.

I was told I'd like Roth's writing style, and while it certainly wasn't the worst thing ever, it didn't knock my socks off. The world is cool though, but I'm probably still used to Cormac McCarthy's 'poetic aura' from THE ROAD, which I read before these two.

The Road sets the bar pretty high, both style- and content-wise. Any dystopia/post-apocalyptic/hell setting would seem like weaksauce after that book.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US by Kasie West. It was definitely cute, and for once the best part of it was the MC, Caymen -- she's freaking hilarious. She made me laugh out loud too many times to count.

Now I'm not sure what to read next. Should I let myself read FANGIRL? Or should I clear out my huge, enormous, towering TBR pile a little? :(

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Dream Thieves and loving it. Part of me is annoyed that it's focused mostly on one character, but he's a great character.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I dove into my TBR pile and resurfaced with Arclight by our own Cyia in my clutches :) The first 50 pages are very promising and creepy as heck!

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Mother of GOD. Did you guys read GONE GIRL? Wish there was a YA version? Then get your hands on DANGEROUS GIRLS by Abigail Haas. I just finished today and WOW. Destructive girl-friendships, non-linear timelines and murder. Think Amanda Knox case meets Natalie Holloway meets the friendshipish of the movie Thirteen. o_O

jkl102106

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished THE 5th WAVE and ... eh, it was okay. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. I don't know if I will read the sequel.

Reading ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis ... I started it but stopped to read THE 5th WAVE because I wasn't loving it. Starting again, so we shall see ...

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just started FANGIRL. I hadn't even read the blurb before buying it, so I wasn't at all sure what it would be about.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started THE FALLEN by Charlie Higson, which is the 6th in his Sickos series. I love zombies. I love children killed adults. I love post apocalyptic cities and survival tales. I love emotional trauma. I've really enjoyed this series to date but I'm getting frustrated that the overall story arc just isn't going anywhere. It's all zombie skirmish, a bit of politics and satire and groups of kids chasing after each other. The time jumps between books also makes it difficult for me to keep track of who's who and who's doing what (THE FALLEN takes place immediately after book 4 and runs simultaneously with Book 5).

I'll keep reading it but I'm beginning to wonder if Higson's actually got a plan for this or if he's just stretching it out for as long as possible.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.