So, when you network, what are you, uh, supposed to do?

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.giantrobotinvasion.com
"Networking" has always come off as one of those frightening, mysterious power words to me. For some reason I have a great difficulty understanding it. Whenever I read about networking, it suggests where to go to do it...but what do you DO when you network? How does it lead to making connections and getting jobs? Is there some process I can undertake to make it happen?

I'm in the process of expanding my online presence in my attempt to deliver the value I create, and though I shoot the breeze on several forums and social media sites, it never feels productive, and certainly hasn't lead to any gigs yet :V Is there a certain way to go about it, or a certain mindset to adopt?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a little out of my field since I don't do freelance writing of the type usually discussed in this forum, but at its heart, I believe networking means getting to know others in your field, either those who can hire you, or refer you to leads, or assist you in other ways. In return, you do the same for them. You want others in the field to know you and your work (and have a positive impression).

For example, you might have written several articles on fishing. One of the other freelance writers you've met happens to know of a new hunting and fishing magazine looking for articles on fishing. He tells you about the lead because it's not something he writes (maybe he writes about cars and bowling). You thank him. At some time in the future you comes across a lead for an publication accepting articles on muscle cars of the 60s, you tell him. It becomes a mutually advantageous relationship.

If none of the networking you've done so far has led to anything, it might be you're not making as the close personal connections you need to make. Just knowing that Susie writes probably isn't enough. Someone need to know Susie well enough that her name immediately comes to mind if they come upon a lead for an assignment Susie might be interested in.

I hope that helps a little. Again, this is little out of my normal area of expertise.

Last edited:

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Worry not, alleycat-that certainly clears the field a bit for me. So it's basically a process of forming close relationships where you help each other out with stuff. You get to know the person deeply and what they can do, otherwise it's not as effective.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Matt:

Alley Cat really covered the subject well. I just want to add that it's not necessary to know the person well or even have writing in common.

I recently joined a local women's networking group. Part of my rationale was that I need to get my b--- out of chair and go amongst the "real" people. I coerced my friend into going with me to the first event (hey, there was wine and food!) because I'm not terribly comfortable at these kinds of things. I exchanged biz cards with probably 20 people. Some did their own writing for their business, but some expressed interest in what I write.

I've found that you never know what will come from a casual contact. Many of my magazine article assignments have resulted from them.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Alleycat said it, and you summed it up Matt. Networking IS:

"a process of forming close relationships where you help each other out with stuff. You get to know the person deeply and what they can do, otherwise it's not as effective." (from Matt and Alleycat)

That is purely quotable!! And networking at the heart. You can network with other writers, potential clients. The only thing I'd add is that networking is not selling something to every person you meet. It's getting to know people for the sake of knowing them, because people are cool, and then you discover you can help each other.

Case in point: A few months ago, I discovered a stand up comedian on Twitter lives close to me. He invited me to a local show. (We both got something out of this: I got a great night out with the girls, he got 2 more people at his show.) I had no writing/jobs/etc. in mind... he just seemed like a cool guy.

We followed up this morning after the show, and I suggested writing a review of the show for a local paper. Then I found out he's doing some things with a local politician... which could actually turn into an article, bigger than just a review. We are going to talk on Monday. He may (or may not) actually hire me to do some PR for him. If not, I got at least one article out of it, and he got someone to help publicize his shows. That is basically a textbook case of networking. Because we are both getting something out of the relationship, neither of us feels 'used.'

There are some great books on the subject of networking, too. I highly recommend Jennifer Gniadecki's Non-toxic Networking (I used to be an affiliate selling it but the link seems not to be working), which is an eBook and Keith Ferrazi's Never Eat Alone.

My number one networking tip? Be Interested in People. :)

Dawn

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah! Now I've got a solid idea of what networking entails. I'm already working on expanding my social media presence, so I can put this advice to use right away.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I think my type of networking is a haphazard sort. Cat has railed at me (in the nicest way, of course!) about the method I employ, though it's landed me some gigs. One has been long term.

When I go into networking, it really isn't about making contacts or cultivating possible ways to bring in jobs. It's all about getting to know my fellow writers with no ulterior motive. Writers, editors, PR people, authors, celebs...they're all the same in my book- potential friends.

When you throw 'networking' out the proverbial window, you're bound to make far more contacts than you would if you're hell bent on branding yourself. Now, I'm not saying it is bad or wrong to want to brand yourself or to network by traditional methods. Nope, not bad at all.

I just think that by being honest, open, and friendly, without networking in mind, you'll gather a whole slew of people on your friends/contacts list you would not have otherwise.

For example- Twitter. While I do have quite a few writers on my follower/following list, I also have moms, autism folks, a few gurus of some sort, editors, and I think a pervert or two...if they have a real, honest approach to sharing themselves, I'm all for keeping them on my list. Because of this I landed an decent gig from someone who had no clue they needed a writer, then forgot all about the fact that to sell products- you need descriptions. Good ones if you want the product to sell.

So, they tweet: "Anyone know a writer?" and being the subtle, humble person I am, I answered that they were goofy, didn't they remember me? Not your typical cover letter, I admit. But, because I'd always been forthright about myself, I got the gig.

It's all about being honest, being yourself, and building lifelong relationships with your colleagues. Never spam-share yourself-don't write rude things unless you want that to be your niche-and above all: Look at the person behind the 'contact'.

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I agree with being yourself and add don't underestimate the power of a casual acquaintance, even on Twitter. That's how I got the dental copy writing gig I just started. :)

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Coming in late to the conversation, but JenNipps is right, as are the other folks who have posted so far. I'm on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, all the usual suspects, and have found each to be beneficial in their own way. But, my best results have come from persistence, follow-up and simply getting involved.

When you meet someone who can potentially help you, perhaps they’re an industry vet with a wealth of info, they know others who can grant you gigs or they're in PR and have story ideas for you, get their biz card and email them shortly after your initial introduction. Once the dialogue starts, keep it going – periodically check in, pitch stories and “pay it forward” whenever possible.

The other thing I suggest is find a writer's group, media group, an association, and become a part of it. Two years ago, when I was just starting out, I volunteered to help plan my local Press Club chapter's annual Journalism Awards event. This year, not only was I asked to chair the planning committee, I was asked to be on the Club's Board of Directors.

Has the latter scenario resulted in new jobs or referrals? Yep. Does it bode well for the bigger picture? Absolutely. Yes, networking is about people helping people, but it’s also about staying relevant and keeping your name out there, be you the writer, the editor, the publisher, the PR person, the business-owner, et cetera. If no one knows you, how can anyone help you, or bring more business to your doorstep?
:)

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My plan is to start online and work down to local. Transportation is still an issue for me, but online access is readily available, so I'm going to work on making connections through social media first.

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, overall, I should just seek relationships in the places I'm already at and branch out from there. Keep asking people if they know anyone who does this and so on. I'm trying to get this down to its base core so I know what to do and I can have a solid plan of attack. I'm feeling a bit overwhelemed by all there is to consider, and I want a central starting point that I can begin at and go from there.