If your SO didn't approve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
When I got word about my first fiction acceptance about 9 years ago, I was so excited. When I told my husband, he looked at me for a few seconds, said, "oh," and went on with whatever he was doing.

I've never needed encouragement, support or permission from anyone else to write or do anything, for that matter. I made the switch to full-time freelancing in 2008. Every few weeks, my father still asks how that's going, and a few months ago expressed pleasure that all was going well. Because, quote, "I was sure you weren't going to be able to make that work."

If I needed encouragement or any kind of validation from others to do something, I'd pretty much be limited to sitting in a corner, weeping into a dishtowel.

Though it's not because of the husband's reaction (it is, but not just that), I sent him on his way in 2005, after 13 years. Unlike his distinterest in my "hobby," I took an active interest in his hobby of drinking and screwing around, and showed him all kinds of support by sending him out the door to pursue it all he wanted. Do I have to explain what a great fecking decision that turned out to be? Didn't think so! ;)

Shelley

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Much as I love cowboy goodness, I think this thread has run it's course. I'm locking, but feel free to bookmark this thread and return to the last four pages whenever necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.