Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Octavia)))) You are "winning" for today, but this is a game we'd all rather lose.

It's ONE opinion, and these are early days, my friend.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
If we were really in Hell, this would be the big comfy couch:
big_comfy_couch.jpg

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh *runs from Kellion's hell - couch*

Oh Octavia you're not alone with the opinion of one agent making you crazy. I'd say sit on their notes a few days and think about them. If they really resonate with you, then do the revisions. If not? Keep querying! I decided to knock myself off the query go round to revise based on an agent's detailed notes but also because some of the things she pointed out a few betas had commented on, too.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Also: The Pit's Couch is not "comfy." It's just a giant version of your Great-Aunt Matilda's mid-century Eames sofa with the highly abrasive metallic upholstery that shredded your legs when you were a kid and stupid enough to sit on it while wearing shorts. It has a broken support on the one end where the two cushions are permanently crushed from Matilda's massive buttocks. All it has going for it is that it's built like a bunker and dark underneath.

ETA: Olivia, don't let the ONE opinion change your mind.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Kell, that couch is blinding - in more ways than one.

And... what Red said! I was supposed to leave work 45 minutes ago. My brain has turned to mush.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, that is one scary ass couch!

I know, I know. It is early and it is just one opinion. I thought I would have more time before all the doom and gloom started in. I thought I had built up a thicker skin than this. Silly. I had hoped the previous failed querying attempt would make this round of Rs roll off of me.

I don't agree with agent's comments, but they caught me off guard. I expect form, the "didn't fall in love with it" type stuff. Instead I got a rambling explanation detailing the ways my idea is great but I haven't spent enough time developing it. How my chapters are too short. (!) I wouldn't revise based on it. But it leaves me feeling a little nauseous. It reminds me of that "doesn't live up to full potential" comment on a report card.

So, that will teach me to lament the form reply, that I can brush aside!

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Octavia R'ing someone and having one of the reasons be 'chapters were too short' is lame lame lame.

I say you rake a cue the from that crazy author and give that R a huge Fuck Off! ;0

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
I know, I know. It is early and it is just one opinion. I thought I would have more time before all the doom and gloom started in. I thought I had built up a thicker skin than this. Silly. I had hoped the previous failed querying attempt would make this round of Rs roll off of me.

I don't agree with agent's comments, but they caught me off guard. I expect form, the "didn't fall in love with it" type stuff. Instead I got a rambling explanation detailing the ways my idea is great but I haven't spent enough time developing it. How my chapters are too short. (!) I wouldn't revise based on it. But it leaves me feeling a little nauseous. It reminds me of that "doesn't live up to full potential" comment on a report card.

So, that will teach me to lament the form reply, that I can brush aside!

Octavia, I understand how you feel. Right now, I feel like I'm in the bottom of the barrel. Although I'm awaiting word on a full, everything else has been rejections. Most were forms, and I admit that I did not receive any rambling explanations like you did. Still, I'm sick. It feels like I'm stuck in some weird, uncomfortable Limbo. A Pit of Doom, just like the title of this thread. I wonder whether I'll ever graduate from the pit and have the opportunity to share my words in the threads initiated by successful, published authors with agents, who are sipping on martinis, eating caviar and talking about their recent vacations to exotic locales such as Monte Carlo and Rio while enjoying the warm limelight that comes with book deals, movie contracts and royalties. But as it stands, I'm a denizen of the pit, a place where it is even hopeless to hope.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, JEQ. Yes, you seem to get the Pit.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
And the clowns have been eating beans by the plateload and drinking beer. That, my friends, is a hell couch.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
A Pit of Doom, just like the title of this thread. I wonder whether I'll ever graduate from the pit and have the opportunity to share my words in the threads initiated by successful, published authors with agents, who are sipping on martinis, eating caviar and talking about their recent vacations to exotic locales such as Monte Carlo and Rio while enjoying the warm limelight that comes with book deals, movie contracts and royalties. But as it stands, I'm a denizen of the pit, a place where it is even hopeless to hope.

I know you are kidding, but just :roll:. And Kell, I'd forgotten the Big, Comfy Couch. I used to have to watch that every day with kiddos. The only part of it I liked were the dust bunnies who lived under the couch.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, the show was blessedly canceled while I was still in control enough to be able to cruise by it... I suspect the creators secretly hated kids, parents, or both.

There is a PB series now about dust bunnies. You have to watch the Pit dust bunnies -- they bite and they are no more housetrained than the Hellhounds.

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome, fellow pitsters. I feel much better now after a nap. It will take a few hours for Despair and Desperation to re-establish their stranglehold on me, so I'll try to get my next diatribe out quickly and succinctly before a full possession sets in.

There's a chance. I have a chance. I'm looking up, and there's a small twinkle of light staring down at me. It's there, no doubt. I may make it out of this place. You never know. That rescue rope might just magically appear in front of me, and before the Pit of Doom knows what happened, I'll be outta here. Uh oh ... I better go now. Despair and Desperation must have overheard me because they're now knocking on the door. They're going to place me in solitary confinement until I am cleansed of all thoughts of hope.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
*waves to JEQ* Sorry you're here, but welcome.

I wish I was a crafty person. I would like to recreate the Pit in miniature style...with that large couch and our avatars as heads poking from underneath it. "A Study in Pittishness."

Actual email conversation today:
Her: How's it going?
Me: I've pretty much shelved my MG--just working on my WIP, so nada.
Her: Yay for your WIP. (No mention of my shelving my project.) I'm just waiting...so I'm doing revisions on my R/R and still have nine or 10 partials and fulls out there. I should know this-haha!
Me: *virtual bitch slap* *slinks off to the Pit*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) I still say keep querying while you write!
*shakes head at your friend*

(wait, not strong enough)
*shakes fist at friend*

(still not strong enough)
*shakes friend*

JEQ

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa! What's that thing swinging back and forth above this pit? Is that a pendulum?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
haha, JEQ! I never noticed. I try not to look up for fear of being punished by the overlords.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I'll just snort a line of maggots off this sticky floor, thank you very much.

Two Rs while I was on vacation in Hawaii. Sumpin' worse yesterday.

I remember watching the Comfy Couch with my son. I still use the "Who made this big mess?!" line occasionally. It freaks him out. He said those dust bunnies traumatized him.

Commiseration to all. And welcome, JEQ. Here huff a few maggots. Makes everything feel a little bit better.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* Cricket. I'm sure your friend isn't trying to be so insensitive. *bites thumb at friend*

Looking up from here would be an act of hope.

I sent revenge Qs this morning. I feel better now.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Figures there'd be a pendulum around here.

*shakes fist at Poe*

*helps Kellion shake Cricket's friend*

(((Madder))) That sumpin' doesn't sound good.

Octavia, go with the RQs! I need to send some this weekend if I can muster the hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.