What is keyboard on a kindle for?

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
I'm considering buying a cheaper kindle without a keyboard.

What would I be missing on if I didn't have the keyboard.

I'm wondering how I would look up books and make notes without one? And how much of a necessity is it?

And can you speed read with a kindle? I like running a pen across the page.

Any Kindle owners out there?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish we lived closer. I would lend you my Kindle Fire; I'm certainly not using it.

I'm going to move this thread to Tech Talk. I think that would be a better fit.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
They all have a keyboard. The Kindle Keyboard was once called the Kindle 3, before they put a cheaper system of a menu operated keyboard and the touch screen feature.

If you go for the cheapest kindle, go for the special offers and you get the special offers removed.

You can speed read, the pages take a half a second to turn.

Kindles are E-readers. You sound like you want a tablet more. And... Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 for that.

Why do you take notes while reading? If you do, get a notebook to write on. The Kindle systems are slow and typing on them a tedious.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The keyboard is mostly used for searching for books, at least by me. I've heard that those without the physical keyboard are a pain to type on.

I have the 2nd generation Kindle with e-ink, a keyboard, no ads, and 3G. There weren't as many options back when I bought mine, but I think I would choose the same options if I was buying one today, even though it's more expensive, but that's me.

ereadergold

Registered
Reaction score
The Kindle Keyboard is really not used all that much, many Kindle's use the 5-way controller or touchscreen to emulate a keyboard.

Primarily you use the keyboard for search, but it can also be used to take notes, assemble collections or to enter your account and configuration information when you first use the Kindle.

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
It sounds like I don't really need a physical keyboard and this is a great relief. So there is a touch screen keyboard then from what I hear. I was worried about it because I didn't want a crippled kindle.

Cost is a big factor for me since I'm currently in financial ruin, but I'll try to squeeze the money for a basic paper white version.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have a keyboard on my Kindle, but hardly ever use it. The virtual keyboard on the non-keyboard models should be fine if you're not a heavy annotator.

I'd strongly recommend the paperwhite if you can swing it. Mine has a pop-out light in the case that I use all the time - getting the lighting actually in the reader is a lot more compact. (And you really need lighting with a ereader -- the non-backlit screen is MUCH easier on the eyes than a computer or tablet (inc. the Kindle Fire), but it has the same external light requirements that real paper does.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I use the keyboard on my kindle for editing novels in progress. I "highlight" things I want to delete, and make footnotes for additions or word changes.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
I started with a Kindle 2, back when they first came out, and my one complaint was the keyboard made the device bigger than it had to be and really didn't offer much practical use.

I bought a PaperWhite and I can't recommend it enough. The size is perfect and I find the touchscreen keyboard to be easier to use than the physical one on the K2. Having the lighting (and it's front lighting, not back lighting which makes it far easier on the eyes) is a real game changer. More than I thought it would be.

I also have a 7" tablet and I find reading on the backlit screen very difficult. Definitely a vote for e-ink from me.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I use my Kindle 3 Keyboard for:
  • Entering Wifi passwords
  • Searching for books on the Amazon store.
  • Making notes on my manuscripts or my critique partner's manuscripts.
But the physical keyboard isn't that great, so these days I've changed from using the Kindle to make notes to using a notebook instead.

I've used a Kindle without a physical keyboard. It's a little slower but it's no big difference if you're going to be using the Kindle purely for reading.