Virus Protection for WIFI & Tablet

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
My better half finally dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st century this weekend with the purchase of a NetGear WIFI box and an Asus TF300T tablet.

I want to have the best protection possible but have become confused by the many recommendations provided across the Internet. I've loaded AVG's free app on the tablet and the WIFI is password protected with guest access disabled.

Should I purchase AVG's pro package for the tablet (or some other virus protection service) and is there more I should do to protect my WIFI?

~brianm~

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Kaspersky Security software for my computer. They make a tablet version but I don't have any first-hand experience with it (it's relatively cheap). I've found Kaspersky to be better than Norton, McAfee, and some of the other security packages.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The Asus runs Android, and opinion is divided as to whether some kind of AV or security app might be worth having for Android phones or tablets (here's a discussion.) My feeling would be that it can't hurt, especially as the software ecosystem for Android is much wilder and woolier than, say, iOS; there's plenty of malware out there to fall foul of if you're not careful enough about what you d/l.

On the wifi side, if it is password protected with WPA (not WEP) you'll be fine.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> is there more I should do to protect my WIFI?

Besides using the highest level of access protection you can get, no.

WPA / PSK / etc only protect your Internet access from outsiders. Routers do not protect you from viruses you can get from downloading an infected page. That's the job of Anti-virus software.

-cb

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Thank you all for your input.

My router is password protected with WPA. I'm leaning towards installing AVG Pro on the tablet as I rather like the find/locate feature should I misplace the tablet, as well as the lock and wipe feature.

~brianm~

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
The Asus runs Android, and opinion is divided as to whether some kind of AV or security app might be worth having for Android phones or tablets (here's a discussion.) My feeling would be that it can't hurt, especially as the software ecosystem for Android is much wilder and woolier than, say, iOS; there's plenty of malware out there to fall foul of if you're not careful enough about what you d/l.

Virus software for Linux-variants like Android tend to be about protecting windows users by not spreading Windows-based viruses. Like, if you send emails and such you can have infected attachments. They won't affect your computer because you actually have to give explicit instruction to it to install viruses, so it's not considered such a big threat. However, if you send the attachment on to a windows user they're at risk.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Virus software for Linux-variants like Android tend to be about protecting windows users by not spreading Windows-based viruses. Like, if you send emails and such you can have infected attachments. They won't affect your computer because you actually have to give explicit instruction to it to install viruses, so it's not considered such a big threat. However, if you send the attachment on to a windows user they're at risk.

Ah, I see. I can see that still being worthwhile now that a lot of docs are in the cloud - I share stuff between my tablet and my PC all the time, that way.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Yeah, it's worthwile to have AV on Linux-boxes for this reason. One more link in the chain to stop it.

That said, linux isn't without risk. Malware writers can always try to mask the virus or trojan as a legitimate program and trick the end user to enter the root password so that it can install.

I won't say if this gives the malware root access to the system. I don't think so. But people more knowledgeable than me should answer that. Still, if someone is tricked into giving the malware permission to install, that person can get keyloggers and spyware and all sorts of crap even if the malware doesn't have system administrative rights. So nothing is 100% safe.

Deleted member 42

Thank you all for your input.

My router is password protected with WPA. I'm leaning towards installing AVG Pro on the tablet as I rather like the find/locate feature should I misplace the tablet, as well as the lock and wipe feature.

~brianm~

Use a strong password, as long as the Router will take, and make sure it includes numbers, upper-and-lower-case letters, and punctuation marks.

Write It Down On Paper. Put the paper /write it somewhere where'll you'll where it is. On a home router where only people you trust use the router, I'm actually OK with it being taped to the bottom of the router.

JHUK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingalchemy.wordpress.com
My better half finally dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st century this weekend with the purchase of a NetGear WIFI box and an Asus TF300T tablet.....Should I purchase AVG's pro package for the tablet (or some other virus protection service) and is there more I should do to protect my WIFI?....

I have the same tablet. You'll love it. I got a free app for antivirus and it's fine. I don't leave mine on all the time as I use my PC or laptop mostly at home. I take the tablet when I go out and want to use the public wifi, such as that at McDonald's, Starbuck's, restaurants, etc. so I do need some protection.

Good luck and enjoy.