dvd or vcr

vigeo

# + ! = ?
Registered
Reaction score
Is the VCR still used to record TV programs or has that been replaced by the DVD? From what I gather the DVD requires more steps to record. Which of the devices would be the best choice in a story where someone needs a quick recording from the TV?

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
DVR. Unless they need to take it with them. I had DVD recorder for a while and all I had to do to record something was hit record. But then you need to finalize it to be able to play it on anything other than your DVD recorder. But then you'd have to rewind the tape so...

VCRs are kind of archaic. But if you're story isn't for children or teens then you can use it if you want.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Raised by Depression-era parents, Mr. Maryn and I still use the VCR to record programs to watch at another time. When it breaks, we'll upgrade to new technology.

I think if someone needs a quick recording, the DVR would be the way to go--although do your readers care? Maybe your character just hits REC on an unnamed device to save the show for later.

Maryn, knowing anything tech is quickly dated

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
VCRs are still being sold, but the majority of new purchases are PVRs - Personal Video Recorders - a cross between a hard disk and a DVD recorder. You record TV shows on the hard disk, then elect to burn a DVD from the hard disk contents, thus be able to bundle a bunch of TV shows on a single DVD disk.

Most cable operators have their own 'virtual' PVRs (ex: Tivo) that let you record scheduled TV shows and films for later viewing.

-cb

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a VHS VCR - but I also have a Beta (which I prefer). I move very slowly into the future...

vigeo

# + ! = ?
Registered
Reaction score
which would the feds use?

Which of the two would the FBI director use if he needed to bring a copy to the White House?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not going to be a VCR, that's for sure.

I'd think he might well load it on a laptop or notebook and carry that, so he has the instrument needed to play it at hand.

Maryn, who sees that on TV (and we all know how real that is!)

vigeo

# + ! = ?
Registered
Reaction score
answer given

"It's not going to be a VCR, that's for sure.
I'd think he might well load it on a laptop or notebook and carry that, so he has the instrument needed to play it at hand."
I have my answer, thank you. I never would have considered bringing the laptop.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I believe the FBI Director has a team that interfaces with the President's aids. For the President to meet face-to-face with the FBI Director, he would have to be briefed thoroughly about the matter at hand. Both of those guys have their agendas full so the time they spend together better be about making policy decisions rather than checking out a video and going through a lenghty Q&A.

-cb