Hello from Mexico

Reaction score
Hello, hola and hi. My name is Felipe Fernandez, I'm a retired paramedic/firefighter from Texas but I now live in Mexico.I currently live in Playa Del Carmen but will soon move to the Sierra Madre Mountains. I came with the intention of owning half of a dive shop with my friend John in Paamul but legal issue of ownership take a very long time here. So, in the meantime I met an amazing woman named Gloria, a Mexican National, fell in love and married her.

She kept talking about how beautiful the mountains are so we began looking and found a wonderful place. 1.5 hectares (150 acres) of prime farmland 6 kilometers outside of Cordoba, Veracruz. As we speak the well is being dug, septic system is going in and the electricity is being run. In early January we will pull my trailer there and begin on the house.

I was a member of a ponding forum, koi ponds. I made up a short story about two regulars of the forum using their personalities. The members really liked it and encouraged me to go on, which I did. This went on for days, weeks, then months. With a lot of help editing and encouragement, I finished a 70,000 word novel. I never thought it would go anywhere. I only have a ninth grade education, we were born extremely poor so I had to get a job as soon as I was of legal age. "Vengeance, a Pirate's Tale" was full of typos, poor grammar and syntax. Still, it was mine.

I stumbled upon the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. They would choose from the thousands of free entries and the winner got their book published and a $40,000.00 advance. Having nothing to lose, I entered my book.They chose 2000 of the entries. I was amazed when I made the first cut. Then they chose 1000, I was still in. At 500, my baby was still in the running. Then they chose 100 and I was stunned to see it still there. The 50 semi finalists were announced and I was floored to see my book still there. The finalists were announced and I was cut, really disappointed but still amazed to have made it that far.

I have finished three more of the series and am working on two others. I look forward to learning from this community and will keep you updated on the farm.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Congratulations Philipe, on your writing, marriage, and move to the mountains. Sounds like a wonderful life. Plus a successful career in a satisfying profession. I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up on your writing. Have a wonderful life, and visit my Blog sometime.