• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nelson Literary Agency, LLC (Kristin Nelson)

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
I got my Rejection, too.

Kristin is a nice lady, and I have to admit being discouraged. But I still have a bunch of queries out on the query-go-round, so I'm not done quite yet.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Hi Alex,

With most (all?) agents, a no is a no. Agents do not want you to resubmit unless you have been specifically invited to do so (or unless it's a completely new project). They WILL remember your query and WILL get very, very irritated if you try to re-query something they have already rejected. Hence, the reason folks stress having your manuscript absolutely perfect before querying. I would suggest polishing your ms and querying a new batch of agents.

Good luck!

Kendra Kilbourn

Triple Ripple Thespian
Registered
Reaction score
I recieved my rejection within 36 hours. It stung but I don't blame her. This e-quering business sucks. Nothing ever gets sent the way you intend. I have a steller manuscript (at least, that is what my non- literary friends say! LOL) but my query to Kristin was *shudder*.....

AlexShepherd

Registered
Reaction score
I recieved my rejection within 36 hours. It stung but I don't blame her. This e-quering business sucks. Nothing ever gets sent the way you intend. I have a steller manuscript (at least, that is what my non- literary friends say! LOL) but my query to Kristin was *shudder*.....

You have to take your friends' verdict with a grain of salt. After all, they are your friends, and they are inclined to be positive about what they read. If manuscript really is stellar give it to someone who you know will be neutral to read. If they like it too, just chalk it up to it not being a match from Kristin. I was bummed Kristin rejected my work, but a few weeks later I found a match. That's the way it goes I guess.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection in my inbox this morning, only I couldn't remember subbing to the Nelson agency.:e2shrug: I had to go in search of the original email. (Sometimes I think my email likes to send my "drafts" off without permission.) :e2hammer:

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I got a rejection in my inbox this morning, only I couldn't remember subbing to the Nelson agency.:e2shrug: I had to go in search of the original email. (Sometimes I think my email likes to send my "drafts" off without permission.) :e2hammer:

Bad email! Are you sleep-walking querying? :D

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Queried on the 28th, got a request for a partial 13 hours ago. I'm looking over my first chapter and sending it off in an hour or so.

*fingers crossed*

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still sticking with NY-based agents for now, though I don't know why. Considering how slowly everything in publishing works, it probably makes no difference if an agent is in Denver or San Francisco or wherever.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Serious writers query agents based on their sales performance and representation preferences, not their locations.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
I received a partial from Kristin today. I'm so excited! I know it's going to take around a month to hear back, and I know it will probably be a rejection, but just the fact one of my dream agents is going to read some of my work makes it worthwhile. Of course, the getting an agent bit is great as well. Lol

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I just received a rejection to a query I sent yesterday. So, she is fast. I respect that and am very sad that the option is now closed for me. : (

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I'm still sticking with NY-based agents for now, though I don't know why. Considering how slowly everything in publishing works, it probably makes no difference if an agent is in Denver or San Francisco or wherever.

Considering she recently posted on her blog that she sells nearly 100% of the books she takes on (and I know she makes plenty of six-figure deals, too), it would be foolish to not query her only because of her location.

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! For what it's worth, Kristin is one of the nicest people I've met--let alone that she's a super agent (she was my first rejection). She came to talk to my writers' group in 2006 (for free! on a Sunday!) when I lived in Colorado, and she was extremely informative.

Alex - MissKris is correct about not being able to re-submit the same story to the same agent. In fact, Kristin Nelson reiterated this exact point in her talk with my writers' group. However, you are free to submit a different story to any agent who has rejected you. (And, I suppose, depending on how much you change your first story, maybe it will turn out to be a whole, different story...?)

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Kuzminski, et al - I didn't say it was rational of me to stick with NY-based agents. I believe I conceded, in a roundabout sort of way, that it was irrational of me. Like Kant said in his Critique of Pure Reason, "Reality is over-rated."

Obviously, I just made that up. I've never read Kant. I don't think I've ever met anyone who's read Kant. I'm sure someone has, though.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Kuzminski, et al - I didn't say it was rational of me to stick with NY-based agents. I believe I conceded, in a roundabout sort of way, that it was irrational of me. Like Kant said in his Critique of Pure Reason, "Reality is over-rated."

Obviously, I just made that up. I've never read Kant. I don't think I've ever met anyone who's read Kant. I'm sure someone has, though.

I read Kant when I was an undergrad studying philosophy lol
Wish I could remember some of it now ;)

I queried Sara Megibow at Nelson yesterday. As per usual I will update further if/when I get a response. Anyone else queried Sara recently? Have an idea of general response times?

[UPDATE] - Agh! It's the big R delivered via the Dear Author form letter. Quick TAT tho, only took about 24 hours...

Last edited:

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com

*waves hand* :D

Also, I'm curious, which agent are you all querying? Sara Megibow still reads the queries for the entire agency, right? And they're both looking for similar genres. So, pretty much you have to pick one or the other.

It strikes me as an interesting dilemma. Do you go for the more experienced agent, with a stellar reputation/sales record, but who is highly selective? Or do you pick the brand new agent, with no sales who is actively building her client list? (Of course, Sara might have sales by now, but her Publishers Marketplace profile still lists none.)

In the end, though, they both sound fantastic, and they are probably both amazing to work with. So I guess it's win-win.

P.S. Sorry about the R, Chrry. :Hug2:

Last edited:

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing, Renee. Since all agents are competitive, even within the same firm, how much help and direction will a senior agent, who has loads of contacts among editors, give to that younger agent? Is that like giving away the keys to the crown jewels? A younger, hungrier agent presumably would be more willing to take a chance on a new, unpublished writer, but if they don't have the knowledge needed to sell the book, what good is that? I'm sure agents all same the right things -- "Oh, of course we all help each other out" -- but one wonders.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
That's "all say the right things"...

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably why I found a typo today in chapter one, even though I was going through it for the twelfth time.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Since all agents are competitive, even within the same firm, how much help and direction will a senior agent, who has loads of contacts among editors, give to that younger agent? Is that like giving away the keys to the crown jewels?

A lot. And no. And remember, in this case, KN is also the agency's owner.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and explain things more accurately, but as I understand it, agents usually split their commissions with their agency. Regardless, it financially and professionally behooves all agents to see their agency and its agents sell successfully. Not saying undermining doesn't happen, but it doesn't behoove'em.

Last edited:

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
The the question arises, is there any reason NOT to hit up agents who are just building their list? I suppose one could be that being less experience, they think your book is marketable when it's not, or they think it's not marketable when it is.

BTW, I wasn't talking about the Nelson Agency -- just agencies/agents in general.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
...less "experienced" ... I should really proofread these things before posting them.

Spring

Little Miss Sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who have recently queried, did you just send the Q letter as their website requests or did you tack on 5-10 pages of your WIP at the end?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who have recently queried, did you just send the Q letter as their website requests or did you tack on 5-10 pages of your WIP at the end?

I have queried them twice (just a query) and gotten prompt rejections both times. I would definitely NOT recommend tacking on a few pages of the manuscript. Stick with their submission requirements and prove to them you did your research and know how to follow instructions.

foreverstamp

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
My query was rejected in less than 1 hour. I do appreciate that they didnt keep me waiting but I'm thinking there must be something strikingly obvious about my query that I need to get checked... perhaps it's time for SYW