The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
Go Rose! Can't hurt to try. Only thing better from my point of view than knowing someone who had a piece in it would be knowing two people! :)

Thing is, Sean... this is very different from the other writing of mine Sean's seen. *fidgets*
And I won't be able to report it on Duotrope. Why isn't it on Duotrope?
*fidgets some more*

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
So what's the cricket-equivalent for a piece that's not yet been sent out (or send-out-able) because it needs to age & polish? Caterpillars? Teenagers? :rolleyes:

That's the part that's driving me nuts right now.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Thanks, Izz, and no huge rush. Nat's fine, too. It's what I go by in person, actually; I just figured it was too informal to write under.

I've been reading a lot of Beneath Ceaseless Skies lately and thinking about next week's story. I'm thinking a Swords & Sorcery that's slightly longer than most of the work I'm doing now. Of course, it probably wont' get in anywhere, but trying new stuff's always good. Besides, it's using in a weird way pangalactic's prompt.

That prompt in a swords & sorcery story? Interesting...

I'm currently trying to turn that same prompt into sme kind of Chtuluwestern. Not sure how well that will work, but it'll get me a W1S1 story and get me out of slacker's alley.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
My S&S has grown weird. It's now some odd fantasy, western, steampunk mix. It also seems to be longer than I'd intended, which is worrying.

Does anyone have more info on the Mammoth Book of Steampunk? I'm not sure if this would fit, but more markets never hurts. I found the submission guidelines, but they don't say all that much, and it's not on duotrope for some reason.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
My S&S has grown weird. It's now some odd fantasy, western, steampunk mix. It also seems to be longer than I'd intended, which is worrying.

Does anyone have more info on the Mammoth Book of Steampunk? I'm not sure if this would fit, but more markets never hurts. I found the submission guidelines, but they don't say all that much, and it's not on duotrope for some reason.

I reported it to Duo today, so hopefully it will appear.

What kind of info are you looking for?

The story I will submit is also an odd mix of genres. If you don't try, you don't sell.

sisco

Nothing clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsisco.com
Hi everyone. I am officially moved into the new place now so I wanted to stop in and say hi. Although my ISP messed up and I won't have my internet setup until wednesday it seems. Using a friend's at the moment.

Wish I'd heard about the mammoth book of steampunk earlier. I have a steampunk piece but it is pretty rough and I would need more than a week to get it ready. Good luck to those submitting to it. I'll be around more once my internet issues are resolved.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score

I haven't seen anything other than the basic page set up with the submission info. But from the comments seen underneath the editor wants to see pretty much anything that might fit in the category of steampunk. He even said he'd be willing to look at erotica.

The one I'm working on has a pretty high magic quotient to the tech but I figure what the hell. I know it won't get accepted if I don't send it in. :)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I will send if I'm able. Friday's rather soon, and I've another I want to get to an anthology by monday (that I've yet to start), but...well, what's the point if it's not last minute and barely qualifying?

There's nothing else specific I need to know, I just feel antsy if I don't have reassuring empty paragraphs of what they want, average response times, acceptance ratios, etc. And I really hope the responses are under a month, as I want to send this to Sword & Sorceress, too, if it doesn't get in.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi everyone. I am officially moved into the new place now so I wanted to stop in and say hi. Although my ISP messed up and I won't have my internet setup until wednesday it seems. Using a friend's at the moment.

Wish I'd heard about the mammoth book of steampunk earlier. I have a steampunk piece but it is pretty rough and I would need more than a week to get it ready. Good luck to those submitting to it. I'll be around more once my internet issues are resolved.
Glad to hear your move went well, eric! :)

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
There's nothing else specific I need to know, I just feel antsy if I don't have reassuring empty paragraphs of what they want, average response times, acceptance ratios, etc. And I really hope the responses are under a month, as I want to send this to Sword & Sorceress, too, if it doesn't get in.

Sean told me he'll be sending responses out soon after the period closes, FWIW. As for what they want, I strongly suspect they want diversity in voice and theme to combat Mammothfail.

It's all in comments to his entry: http://oldcharliebrown.livejournal.com/347800.html

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I worked on and off all day and got my short story rewritten from a piece of contemporary fantasy flash to almost 2k of steampunk weirdness. Awesome.

Now I just have to polish that turd into gold by Friday. And figure out what else I'm going to write this week.

Overall, I'm pleased with how the day has gone, though. The writing momentum is picking back up (after a slow finish to last week).

:)

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I sent the novelette out. It is 14,818 words!! :Wha: I think, if it sells, I'll try to add another 182 words so it will qualify for awards in the novella category. Damn, I'm proud of this one. I'm damn proud of this one! I love it.

Ok. Dudes and dudettes, thanks to W1S1 I now have 6 stories under consideration. On Jan. 1st, I had 3 stories in circulation (one has since sold). So four stories are new.

Thanks, guys.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Good stuff, Aggy. Polish that turd good!

And that's awesome on all counts, Rose. Really awesome :)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Had a momentary panic this morning. Received an email from ChiZine. I was thinking "What? Already? That's a rejection." Turned out it was just the email acknowledging my submission.

*whew*

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Had a momentary panic this morning. Received an email from ChiZine. I was thinking "What? Already? That's a rejection." Turned out it was just the email acknowledging my submission.

*whew*

I got one of those today too, and I was so confused. Somehow I'd already forgotten I'd subbed to them (This is why I could not live without my Excel spreadsheet).

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 4,700 words into my S&S and maybe three quarters or two thirds through the plot. It's coming out pretty well so far, though it'll need a lot of editing.

Also, I guess I'm going to have to be doing some revisions on Leaving Love next week, as 1/3 people grasping the plot isn't a very good ratio, even if that one person thought he was being hit over the head with it (why can't they all agree!?). Ah well, no big hurry in any event.

MattJ

Publish or Die Trying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
wayofthewriter.blogspot.com
I didn't get the plot either.

There's a school of writing that says you just punch out the first draft and then edit. I like that school of writing. I find that I have no idea what I'm really trying to say until at least draft 2-3.

I'm 4,700 words into my S&S and maybe three quarters or two thirds through the plot. It's coming out pretty well so far, though it'll need a lot of editing.

Also, I guess I'm going to have to be doing some revisions on Leaving Love next week, as 1/3 people grasping the plot isn't a very good ratio, even if that one person thought he was being hit over the head with it (why can't they all agree!?). Ah well, no big hurry in any event.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get the plot either.

There's a school of writing that says you just punch out the first draft and then edit. I like that school of writing. I find that I have no idea what I'm really trying to say until at least draft 2-3.

Thanks for commenting. I usually do do pretty extensive edits, and I did one here, but I did it the night after writing (instead of waiting my usual few days or a week), so I still knew everything perfectly when reading it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
My W1S1 swag arrived today (after it got lost in transit and they sent me another).

Now i'm sitting at work wearing a baseball shirt with the W1S1 logo on it, and the word persperistence! underneath :D

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
My W1S1 swag arrived today (after it got lost in transit and they sent me another).

Now i'm sitting at work wearing a baseball shirt with the W1S1 logo on it, and the word persperistence! underneath :D

:Thumbs: That's awesome.

I'm preparing to add another 6k or so to the steampunk short. >_<

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
OMG! I just sent a really recently completed piece to an anthology call that closes the 31st! Talk about cutting it close! I hope I hear something!!!