Recommend a good read...

neboz

red dwarf by grant naylor. the last human adrift in space on a huge mining ship with only a hologram and the ship's computer for company. very funny.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Dark, funny satire of mid-century suburbia.

Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney. I was stunned at how well he handled 2nd person POV.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini for the second time in a month. It has Afghanistan as a backdrop and isn't an easy read at times. You might want to keep some tissues handy. It's deceptively simply written, very strong on character, and doesn't bottle it in the end by giving an unbelievable ending to all that's gone before.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last Night At The LobsterStewart O'Nan

The book could have been marketed as non-fiction, with no-one the wiser. When the ornament broke, so did my heart.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to second The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I had very modest expectations when I started to read it, and it blew me away. It just got better and better. I kept saying to my family, "Oh my gosh, it's so funny and sad and...and...WONDERFUL." I cannot gush enough about this book. Okay, maybe I can. ::stops gushing before I make a mess::

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
red dwarf by grant naylor. the last human adrift in space on a huge mining ship with only a hologram and the ship's computer for company. very funny.

Sorry, pedant attack coming on...

Grant AND Naylor.( Rob Grant and Doug Naylor) Not as good as the series either.....

'So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet and see the king of the potato people, and you're saying you're completely sane?'

the book works so much better for having been written after the series, and being able to imagine Chris Barrie saying stuff like that.

And ofc lines like 'I can't marry someone who's name sounds like a footballer clearing their nostril' work better when you've heard them said...

Last edited:

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I've just finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini for the second time in a month. It has Afghanistan as a backdrop and isn't an easy read at times. You might want to keep some tissues handy. It's deceptively simply written, very strong on character, and doesn't bottle it in the end by giving an unbelievable ending to all that's gone before.

Me too. And I agree with your analysis. I highly recommend the book as well. I'm off to read his second one.

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. Great book--even better than her Remnant Population. I recommend both.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Sorry, pedant attack coming on...

Grant AND Naylor.( Rob Grant and Doug Naylor) Not as good as the series either.....

To be more pedantic, the first two Red Dwarf books were written under the name of Grant Naylor.

As for my own recommendation, I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. A little hard to get into, but worth it.