zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Morning folks. I know some of talk about what we are working on but I'm curious to hear what everyone is tackling and what they like about it.

I am actively procrastinating from my current novel-in-progress. I'm about 50k into the second draft, and have convinced myself that it sucks, I suck, and everything is stupid. It's set in a scientific lab on the moon that is trying to find a cure for a pandemic that's rapidly decimating the population of Earth, and is also a murder mystery.

Meanwhile I am procrastinating by working on a short story that's a future dystopia that's deeply inimical to women, but whenever I think I've gone over the top of believability, the next day in the news Kansas or Texas has actually gone and done something even more extreme.

Mommy is having complications after surgery
Taking care of Mother has taken on new and disturbing dimensions.

:Hug2: for 10 and Junely. Sending good thoughts your way.

I have not tried Windows 7. I have heard that it is better than Vista.

Definitely. I am not yet convinced it's better than XP, but another service pack in it might make it.

Well, it is nice being treated like a princess every once in a while

Not my thing. But I do like it when someone brings me tea. And no one ever brings me tea. :cry:

WEDDING OF DOOM.

When does this thing finally happen, so you can collapse and sleep for a week and then come back to us?

The Cantina has as much time as you need. If you'd like to collect yourself, please exit through those double doors. I hear it's sunny in the dong garden this time of day.

Has anyone considered the potential for sunburn amongst our tender dongs? Do you suppose we can get little hats for them? Like, find some "costumes of the world" hat-of-the-month for dolls club that'll send us teeny sombreros, then fezzes, and then a stetson or two?

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
The day job just upgraded to XP. Yeah, you heard that right. We're on the cutting edge, people!

Don't worry too much at least it isn't Vista. XP actually works for the most part.

hahahaha!

Well, it is nice being treated like a princess every once in a while

:D
Is this kinda like Big Macs?

You know, once in a while and it's "Wow! This is really good!" but too often and it's "This is bleh."

Morning, all!
Your story sounds very cool. I'm trying to even out pov in a novel that was originally a novella. And the whole process may be driving me a wee bit batty. Or super crazy. Depending on the mood I'm in that second.

Wee bit batty or super crazy. Both are good. Normal is boring.

B) Ther is nothing sexier than a man doing some housework. Cooking a meal to feed all the little rugrats so I don't have to is a close second. Saying, "Why can't you do it?" when I ask you to wipe off the boy while I wash the highchair tray is a sure way to piss me off on Tuesday evening

I'm a lazy shit around the house. But, luckily for me, "Why can't you do it?" was beaten out of me. Current response is "OK" occasionally followed by a "just a sec" but it gets done. Little boys need wiping entirely too often. This has been a hard lesson for Mrs. Debio who grew up in a house with no little boys. She never learned that little boys and little doggies are dirty 2 minutes after you clean them up.

*staggers in*

Guys, if I'm not around over the next few days, it's because I got eaten by the WEDDING OF DOOM.

Now, to work on my WiP.

BEWARE the WEDDING OF DOOM. It shall devour thee.

I'm working mostly on one story, but have four others to fall back on if I get stuck. The main one is a story about a thief who gets turned into a werewolf by a family who want him to use his thieving skillz to rescue parents and sibling from a government lab of some sort. The second is a retelling of Snow White set in 13th century Scotland. The third is a regency era romance... A bit of fun with a smart redhead and an earl down on his luck. The fourth is a modern romance based on Beauty and the Beast crossed with archaeologists. And the last is a time-travel, star-crossed-lovers romance that takes place in the 1500s, the 1800s, and 'today'. Or is it the 17th century pirate romance? Wait, no, the Little Red Riding Hood story! Um. Hmm. Too many WIPs maybe?

Only in the cantina can someone be working on such an eclectic variety of stories and be considered normal. This is cool.

I have fallen in love with all those stories. I wants to reads. Sell! Sell! Sell!

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
In the "what we're working on" vein...

I'm focused on my YA. It's an urban fantasy with heavy doses of mythology, ancient grudges and, yes, kissing. At its core it’s a story of good versus evil and discovering one is more than simply her surroundings.

This is how I've been teasing it, but it rather lacks the dark tone of the book (it's funny, sure, but also has someone jumping off a building, severed limbs and a trip to hell, literally): Kate Winter wishes the powers of goddess came with a user guide. Instead she gets one hot-but-cryptic protector, a snarky imp and a hell goddess turning her friends mad.

As for why I love it? I love watching my heroine fight trust issues to become strong enough to accept help. Plus, she blindly embraces her geek nature. If only I'd been so brave at her age.

Last edited:

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
These are predators who love blood and pain and fear.

YES!!

Magic once flourished in the world but was banned. Now the only people allowed to use any at all are the law enforcement group.

Rather like the idea of an once open world, now closed again.

I also have a dwarf story, it's your basic dwarf does a deal with the devil kind of thing.

You say that like there's a dwarf trope. Wait?! Is there a dwarf trope? Am I missing out?

Also, CM, you are not Admiral Ackbar. I know a trap when I see one!

So, CM isn't Admiral Ackbar? For realz?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for folks who enjoy their characters :)

I am off to bed, but first-

Suz', I have some fresh brewed red tea for you. Would you like lemon or sugar with that? I know it's not the same. My coworker made tea one day and it was nice. My non-date gets tea from me. I need to reverse that ;)

And hallo stranger without Shoes. Whats new?

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I'm going to make pizza from scratch tonight for dinner. Husband will be disappointed, though. Whenever I make pizza from scratch that means gluten-free crust. And he *thinks* he misses the wheat. He'll eat it quietly though, and I will devour mine whilst reveling in deliciousness.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
And hallo stranger without Shoes. Whats new?

Hey Fenika. Not much, the Wife and I now find ourselves having to prep for the move into our first owned home, so I guess this means having to buy things like rakes and street shovels.

Other than that, just trying to finish the conclusion on my own WIP. Nearly there, then I'll have to let it stew, go over it a bit, and see if anyone here is interested in ex-rock stars turned half-angels and being hunted down by real ones.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: for 10, Junely and anyone else who needs them.

Keep in mind that I have a birthday next month. I'll be 43. It's a moving target.

Huh, youngster. I'll be 48 in October. How did that happen?

Morning folks. I know some of talk about what we are working on but I'm curious to hear what everyone is tackling and what they like about it.

Still working on the Plague Years rewrite. While I will have enough to submit to the Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry open fortnight next month (they only want 10-15k plus synopsis at first), I'm almost certainly not going to have a completely rewritten novel by then. Especially as it's going to need to expand by about 20,000 words. Maybe this story is fated to be a novella and I should accept that.

After that, I have rewrites that I need to do on my other novel in progress, Partings and Greetings. And would like to write some more short stories, but finding that difficult too.

Things are moving VERY slowly, as I'm struggling with a sense that all I'm doing is writing stuff that no-one wants to read, let alone publish, and I can't even sell short stories at the moment (and that comes from someone who has sold forty of them over the years). I had a rejection the other day from an anthology I was invited to submit to. Well, those are the breaks, but IT DID NOT HELP. *headdesk*

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the potential for sunburn amongst our tender dongs? Do you suppose we can get little hats for them? Like, find some "costumes of the world" hat-of-the-month for dolls club that'll send us teeny sombreros, then fezzes, and then a stetson or two?

I can't seem to move past this to read the rest of the thread. :Wha:

Oh the images. They're very clear. Too. Clear. :cool:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
We're talking about WIP's? Is it too late to join in?

I have two WIP's going. I'm committed to writing some audio drama, and I only have two scripts left to go. They're steampunk, set in the 1860s. My other project, I was originally considering making it into a series of scripts as well, but then again, maybe not. It's about SPACE PIRATES and has a bizarre cast of characters on the ship.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score

Now, I'm having problems here. I've been in my mc's mind too long. It's worse since this morning I have taken Fenika's advice and gotten more into his skin. This is making me a bad person.

The problem comes with Mason's imagination. He reads the above, he thinks, "Oh, yeah, I got some cream for that burn." I need to finish the story and get rid of this guy, I feel ... dirty.

second problem, I've been reading Scalzi's Whatever blog too long. Second thought was, Cool band name. Dongs With Hats.

We're talking about WIP's? Is it too late to join in?

I have two WIP's going. I'm committed to writing some audio drama, and I only have two scripts left to go. They're steampunk, set in the 1860s. My other project, I was originally considering making it into a series of scripts as well, but then again, maybe not. It's about SPACE PIRATES and has a bizarre cast of characters on the ship.

The cool thing about SPACE PIRATES is that you would have to really write bad to make them uninteresting. If you do it well, you get the AWESOME award.

Now to go do that edit thing in nasty MPC skin.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Since no one else is around, Debio pulls out his laptop, grabs a plate of smibbles and a cup of coffee.

Must finish this rewrite today.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing fine. I got too many "I"s in my MS. Good thing I brought this box cutter. You wanna coffee?

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I'm doing fine. I got too many "I"s in my MS. Good thing I brought this box cutter. You wanna coffee?

Filtering words/phrases. Find and destroy. Gets rid of so many extraneous I's (ten years of this nonsense and I still need to remind myself to do this. heh.)

Also, hihi everyone. :)

*GLOMPS*

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Is that a Cat dressed as dog? ;)

Lovely Borzoi you've got there.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy recently arrived folks. Hey tif I gots a nice comfy easy chair. you need?

Embarrassing event for the day.

1:40 pm, I decide I want a can of that sweet crap called canned coffee that they sell here. So I stroll down the hall to the vending machine. On my way I pass a classroom with no teacher in it. The students stare at me as I pass. I wonder where there teacher is. I didn't remember anyone making emergency copies in the teacher's room.

I buy my coffee and am strolling back, they are staring at me again. I poke my head in the door and ask where there teacher is. They tell me I am the teacher. I was supposed to be teaching their class.

Sheesh. I hate when they change the schedule on me. I had three classes in the morning that I wasn't scheduled for, this one is a regular. I forgot my regular, but remembered the special. How does that work?

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
She never learned that little boys and little doggies are dirty 2 minutes after you clean them up.

From experience, it isn't always just little boys. I remember spending 2-3 hours cleaning house and 5 minutes after dad got home, it was a mess with muddy (? Dad is a plumber. You don't always want to ask) boots and clods of earth everywhere. Then my brother would get home and stinky tennies (trainers) chucked in the middle of the living room. Backpack in the kitchen hallway and crumpled homework papers that never got done strewn across half the house. An hour after that, empty Big Gulp cups or soda bottles, candy wrappers, dirty plates and cutlery. I had a whole new respect for the 'just a housewife' my mom had been after that. :)

Only in the cantina can someone be working on such an eclectic variety of stories and be considered normal. This is cool.

I have fallen in love with all those stories. I wants to reads. Sell! Sell! Sell!

heh. Thanks, Debio - that makes me feel like maybe I oughta finish at least some of them! :) I did promise myself I'd finish the UF story by next January... At least the first draft.

So, CM isn't Admiral Ackbar? For realz?

Nope. I know for a fact he's a tiny green dragon that hangs out with pink ponies.

Nearly there, then I'll have to let it stew, go over it a bit, and see if anyone here is interested in ex-rock stars turned half-angels and being hunted down by real ones.

That sounds like FUN! :)

I had a rejection the other day from an anthology I was invited to submit to. Well, those are the breaks, but IT DID NOT HELP. *headdesk*

That is ebil. But your stories sound interesting! :Hug2:

I am actively procrastinating from my current novel-in-progress. I'm about 50k into the second draft, and have convinced myself that it sucks, I suck, and everything is stupid. It's set in a scientific lab on the moon that is trying to find a cure for a pandemic that's rapidly decimating the population of Earth, and is also a murder mystery.

:Wha: That doesn't sound suck, that sounds win! I like pandemics (er... In fiction. I like them in fiction!) and in space, no one can hear you scream! Yay! :)

Not my thing. But I do like it when someone brings me tea. And no one ever brings me tea. :cry:

*offers tea* I've got Darjeeling, a smoky Russian one that's quite good, and a decent English breakfast. And a decaf, since I think it must be going on the middle of the night for you! heh :)

I can't seem to move past this to read the rest of the thread. :Wha:

Oh the images. They're very clear. Too. Clear. :cool:

I love your avi, Tiffers!

Well, one of the benefits of making soap as a hobby is that I also make lots of other stuff, including mild sunscreen and after sun care and sun burn spray. Don't worry, I had the garden gnomes SPF 5 the sunburn prone ones earlier in the year and they're all developing a healthy tan for protection. Little hats couldn't hurt, though....

Oh... Well. Doesn't the Internet just have everything. (And don't click that if you're under 18 or don't like chocolate...)

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Normally I would make some comment about how awesome chocolate is, but this time, I'll pass. I want to eat my chocolate, not wear it, and in this case, I'm too far on the other end of the spectrum for eating.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Is that a Cat dressed as dog? ;)

Lovely Borzoi you've got there.

Yep. First fell in love with them close on 20 years ago when I met my then-boyfriend's dog, Stazi. Such an utterly gorgeous animal (they totally snuck into WtSiRR as the dragon dogs, because I'm predictable like that.)

So finally I think, ok, my life is fairly stable now, my kids are good with animals, let's look into living the dream.

And there are no borzoi breeders in Cape Town, as far as I can tell. *sigh*

I'll keep looking, and maybe talk to the Pretoria breeders, but seriously, I'm kinda down about this. :p

Embarrassing event for the day.

I buy my coffee and am strolling back, they are staring at me again. I poke my head in the door and ask where there teacher is. They tell me I am the teacher. I was supposed to be teaching their class.

I'm not laughing at you, not really. But I am incredibly amused.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, you can laugh if you want. They did. It's not like it was an important class. Finals are over, grades are in, report cards have been handed out. Tomorrow is the closing ceremony for the school year. I didn't even have papers to hand back.

But for anyone who needs a laugh, go for it. I'll even cry if it makes it better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.