The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HapiSofi

Re: Jenna, being one of the "Big Eight"...

I look dreadful in yellow spandex. I'll stick with the revised black-leather version.

CWGranny

Re: For just pure comedic pleasure...

I doubt it's the same "Carl" -- the one in the PW thread doesn't seem to be nearly so conversant with English grammar. But he is comical.

DeePower

It's the publishing company not the authors!

If you're a PA author it's not you, it's your publisher. I can't speak for the others but I wish the best for every author, PA authors included.

I have personally invited several of you to come to this board and post your questions. You will get the truth. Whether you can handle the truth (apologies to Jack N.) is up to you.

There is no hidden agenda on my part. I do not want to destroy PublishAmerica. I simply want three things.

1. PublishAmerica tells how they really operate.

2. Any author who wants the rights back to their book, gets them, no questions asked, no strings.

3. An audit of royalties paid and owed for all authors.

I want the truth, my rights and my royalties.

Dee Power
www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

Dhewco

Re: More from note to PublishAmerica

>My book " invisible Ink" is in cover design and should be released within the next two months.I am a New Yorker and the book is based on my 26 years as a journalist working for eight daily newspaper, three in the New York City area and three in nearby New Jersey. I am now living ouside of Philadelphia and plan to promote the book in the New York City area soon.<

Ummm, where are the other two newspapers?

David

aka eraser

Getting newshounds sniffing

I'm excited by the prospect of journalists getting involved with this story. I'd hoped it would happen shortly after Kevin Y's "30-pages" escapade.

The Publishers Weekly stuff was all well and good but its audience is comprised primarily of folks who are already in the unlikely-to-be-converted-by-PA camp.

If/when the mainstream media starts turning the light on Meiners et al they'll have to run far and fast to find a rock to hide under.

This is gonna be good.

PS - To any Publish America authors visiting this board for the first time: Our beef is not with you. You have our understanding, and where warranted, our sympathy. We think your publisher is a major league rotten apple who does not have your best interests at heart. Please stick around and get a feel for the place. We're all writers here and supportive of each other. You're welcome to join us.

DeePower

I was once excited about our PA book.

This Carl is in the honeymoon phase with PA. I was once there myself in September of 2003 when our PA book was released. I honestly thought if I worked hard on the publicity - we hired a PR firm for three months - and personally invited bookstores to stock our book in the three cities where it took place, and got good reviews. It would work. I had no idea that there were corporate policies at the chains which effectively prohibited stocking PA or other POD books. I didn't know that newspapers, as a matter of course, don't review PA or POD books. We sent out over 60 copies for reviews. I couldn't even get our hometown newspaper to review our book. And the setting for our book was in our hometown.

Borders had agreed to a book signing. We ordered the books ourselves from PA to make sure they arrived in time. We sent a copy of our book to the Borders regional manager and she cancelled the book signing the day before it was to take place. Why? Because the book was published by PA and they didn't do signings for POD books.

You know PA draws the letter below like a gun. I would really like to see the original letter and to know which executive in Barnes and Noble it is from.

From a Publish America email:

"This confirms what a Vice President at Barnes and Noble wrote us a letter, saying, "We very much believe in print-on-demand (POD) technology as a cost-effective tool available for publishers to extend the range of their title offerings to Barnes & Noble... We believe that POD represents an opportunity to increase the range of titles we offer... We will continue to stock every title that you publish, which enables us to rapidly replenish our stores..."

So don't be hard on Carl or on the other PA authors that haven't yet had the experience of door's slamming in their face.

Dee
www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

James D Macdonald

Re: I was once excited about our PA book.

You know PA draws the letter below like a gun. I would really like to see the original letter and to know which executive in Barnes and Noble it is from.

Me, I'd like to see the text in that letter hidden by those three little dots.

Gravity

Yowza

I heard the Washington Post recently interviewed a PA author for about thirty minutes, and the paper is *very* interested in knowing more about the infamous "thirty pages repeated and accepted" fiasco. The Post, hmmm? Those are some very big tunas indeed. Could this be it....?

John

ProandCon

Quotes:
"Isn't Dee Powers a PublishAmerica best seller author?"

"This (Jenna) person below must be partners with Dee Powers. She wants a New York PA author to interview too. Here's your chance at 15 minutes of fame."

"No wait!"

"I think they are part of the Big Eight who are part of the conspiracy against PublishAmerica."

"Let's see you have Anne Crispin, Victoria Strauss, James Macdonald, Becca Easton, Ed Williams. Some guy whose name starts with a "D""

That totals eight if you include the Big "D"

Now, JD Russell could have called such a pretty lady (Jenna) by her full name.

DaveKuzminski

Re: PA in the Media

Interestingly enough, some of the PA authors don't realize that we, both within and outside of the Big 8, are more interested in helping them. In fact, if they analyzed our actions, they'd find that we've actually done plenty for them whether they're happy or not with PA.

Absolute Write provides a forum for both kinds of PA authors to use. Those who are happy with PA are welcome to post in this forum that they are. Similarly, those who are not are equally welcome to post about their experience. All that's asked is that they post according to the forum's rules.

Writer Beware has provided endless support for PA writers by providing information about good and bad agents, publishers, promoters, and others so that the PA writers can avoid pitfalls.

James Macdonald has provided much in the way of how publishers provide marketing and promotion to writers based upon what he's received for his many published books. As well, his own website provides more information about publishing scams.

Rebecca and Dee have each provided personal accounts of how they were misled by PA in the hopes of letting others see that PA's manipulations can ensnare just about anyone.

Ed established his own site as an additional warning to writers on what's taking place because he recognizes that the only way to protect others from being misled is to provide accurate information.

Speaking for myself, P&E not only provides warnings and recommendations about agencies and publishers, promoters, resources, and editing services. P&E even gives free promotion to all first time authors and has given that to any author who asked to be featured. In over eight years, that's included numerous authors from PA regardless of their public statements in support of or against PA. If I remember correctly, one PA author's website was awarded P&E's Author's Site of Excellence.

And speaking for countless others on this site, they have frequently reminded others that we're trying to support other writers and not put them down because of their publisher unless they're openly acting as trolls intent upon obscuring the truth.

So yes, I hope that more PA writers come over to visit this forum where they'll discover that they can post much more freely than they can at PA.

Whachawant

They still don't get it!

It's really too bad these people don't see that you're all trying to help them.

Quote " ....all they do is bash P.A. authors ...."

Incorrect! If you read most of the posts its a criticism of P.A. ..the company. Not the authors. 'They' also forget, when they make such statements, they're also the people who post questions to the beloved P.A., with no response or explanations sidestepped from the truth.

When I posted a simple question of the poor man's copyright, I received answers. Informative answers! These people received encouragement to go forth with the action, from people who lack the experience and the knowledge.

It's amazing how you can be helpful and be a jerk at the same time!

James D Macdonald

Dave ... in all fairnesss ... I think you've been a little hard on one or two PA authors in the past.

Well, so have I, but not so much, I think.

DaveKuzminski

I'll even admit I've been hard on some of the other regulars here as well as one or two PA authors.

Like I stated, there are those here who, very importantly, have reminded some of us that we shouldn't forget what we're trying to do and that how we're going about it at that moment might not be the best way (even if I haven't always taken their advice).

James D Macdonald

The whole flies/honey thing.

Respect engenders respect.

vstrauss

I feel SO included.

Signed,

Number Two (tee hee)

James D Macdonald

Re: Gawd if you two hug I'm gonna puke

Anybody have any ideas about how one goes about getting an attorney for a class action suit?

Call one on the phone and ask?

I'm not a lawyer -- but I think I recall hearing that the minimum number of people you need for a class-action is 30.

Kate St Amour

Re: Gawd if you two hug I'm gonna puke

I'm not a lawyer -- but I think I recall hearing that the minimum number of people you need for a class-action is 30

Considering the number of signatures on the document that went to the MD AG, I would say getting participants won't be a problem.
Isn't there a group of attorneys that act as advocates for authors? I recall someone posting a website or email addy recently. Hmm...

Ed Williams 3

Victoria, it is...

...a moment of pride for us of the immortal eight, isn't it?

Sincerely,

Number 5

Gravity

You see, that's the problem

From a monetary viewpoint, there's simply not enough in the PA pot to interest any kind of class-action lawsuit. What's called for is some young, hungry barrister looking to make his nut--and name--in the trenches. And I don't see one on the horizon.

Yet.

John

James D Macdonald

Re: You see, that's the problem

I don't know about that, John -- (I'm not a lawyer, but)... if the charge of copyright violation can be proved, between statutory and punitive damages the judgment could run into the millions.

Someone with some standing might want to talk to a real lawyer about what's possible. Pay the guy's time, ask his advice, take his advice.

ProandCon

Dee - Class Action Lawsuit

"Anybody have any ideas about how one goes about getting an attorney for a class action suit?"

Thought you already had an attorney?

If your attorney won't answer that question for you, he / she should have been fired like yesterday!

Timothy W Johnson

Dee - Class Action Lawsuit

Thought all of you would enjoy this. Unfortunately, I messed up my html before posting it on the PW MB.

BTW, James, is what you’re saying really a possibility? Could PA be in copyright violation?

If anyone does find an attorney, let me know? I’d like in on the Class Action Suit.

<hr />
Submitted by: Tim Johnson ([email protected])
12/16/2004 4:20:38 PM PT

Carl: Kat and others, excuse me but I fail to see any evil or false claims here.

Tim: My work was published (excuse me, deceptively stolen) by PublishAmerica in June of 2003. Here’s the info:

Author: Tim Johnson
Book: Twisted oak: Eyes of Discernment
ISBN: 1-59286-679-4
Pages: 252

I did research on Publish America prior to submitting my manuscript to them. I checked with the BBB in 2002, and searched other places on the Internet to see if PA was legit, but found nothing. I scrutinized their Web site for quite a while before submitting my work to them. They claimed that the majority of their books could be found in physical brick & mortar stores. Unfortunately, they lied. Two years have gone by and I still haven’t found a single PA book in any bookstore except for when I had my first—and only, I might add—signing at the local bookstore in my hometown.

(Once more) Carl: Kat and others, excuse me but I fail to see any evil or false claims here.

Tim: Publish America lied back then, and they still lie today. What happens to someone when they lie to a judge that wants the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Carl: If you and those who had books published via PA don't like the job they have done. Simply ask for your rights back or wait for the contract to end and place the book somewhere else.

Tim: PublishAmerica didn’t do their job as far as I’m concerned. I did the plotting, I did the writing (which took 7 years at least), I worked on the interior art (including the map and photos), and I designed the book’s front and back cover. Here’s the work PA did: They transformed the format of my work with the click of a button, and then printed it. Wow, how tedious. I suppose PA deserves a standing ovation.

(Once more) Carl: If you and those who had books published via PA don't like the job they have done. Simply ask for your rights back or wait for the contract to end and place the book somewhere else.

Tim: I’ve asked…many times, in fact. But they provoked me one too many times, and this is the result: another angry author joining hundreds more in exposing PublishAmerica for what it really is.

Carl: What have any of you lost?

Tim: I lost at least 7 years. Some have lost their entire life, especially if they signed the old contract.

Carl: You guys make it sound like other publishers were breaking down your door trying to sign you and you opt for PA instead. Kat, never believe hype or ads? Always investigate. But really what is there to investigate you are either publish by a major or you're not. The major is the route to go even if you are midlist but we all know that they reject most manuscripts and queries they receive. The only other options are presses like PA, Winterwolf (just an example) and other more known small houses. The point is all of the "other" is practically the same. The author will still have to be the point man in promo and sales will still be dismal. If you get an advance from these "others" chances are you'll never see a royalty check. But, this is true even with the majors. You people still fail to understand that being author SUCKS for everybody but a small percentage of chosen people who get fabulous promotion. That Kat is the reality of the situation. All this other bullcrap about editing, don't market, books not in bookstores (name a house outside of a major entity in bookstores to any great degree?), rude to me, etc. is all B.S. and sour grapes.

Tim: No comment. All of that was garbage, undeserving of a comment.

Carl: The other point is most of the whiners and complainers here will be unhappy whoever they're with cause nobody is ever going to put any real money behind any of your projects. Why should they when virtually none of you are willing to invest in yourselfs and those of you who do get upset when the investment doesn't pan out.

Tim: What about J.K. Rowling? She was an unknown until revealing her Harry Potter masterpiece. And she obviously didn’t have any money to start with. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, she was living on welfare due to circumstances beyond her control before becoming famous. Did that stop a major publisher from seeing merit in her work? No. They still took the chance, and I’m sure they’re glad they did.

Carl: You people are the definitive definition of "LOSERS." Personally, I wouldn't contract with any of you to even pick up my trash.

Tim: And I’m certain that no one would even consider the offer.

Carl: So don't send me no damn queries...and I remember names.

Tim: Thanks for the warning, Willem…uh, I mean, Carl. I don’t believe that any of us ex-PA authors would even consider that, either. I’m sure I vouch for my fellow writers when I say, “We’ve all had our fill of PublishAmerica.”
<hr />

Status
Not open for further replies.