The Bouncy Castle in Space

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
May I vent here a little please?

Ok, a little backstory. I'm an American expat living in Moscow for my husband's job. Because of the astronomical rent prices in Moscow, we bought an apt about 5 years ago and did a complete tear-out and reno.
Last spring, when the kids and I returned from a short ski trip to Austria, my husband met us at the airport wearing someone else's clothes and stinking of smoke. He handed me 2 sedation pills and then let me know that our apt burned to the bricks and pipes. We salvaged 2 acrylic chairs and a penguin-shaped martini shaker. Everything else we had was gone.
So, fast forward to today. We are back in our apt. We did a beautiful new reno and I'm nearly finished with decorating and all that. But this morning, I saw that someone had tossed, flicked, dropped, or something of the like, a cigarette on our doormat and it was burning the fibers of the doormat! WTH? Who would flick a cigarette, in a building, on someone's doormat and just leave it to burn? I'm furious right now.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Fringle. :Hug2:

You absolutely should be furious. How'd the apartment catch fire the first time? Sounds like you have some very idiotic neighbors.

Congrats on completing the renovations, though! It must be such a good feeling to finally be back in your home. :)

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Smish, and thanks.

We had an aircon unit that had a heat function as well as a cooling function. My husband fell asleep and didn't turn the heat off. He woke up surrounded in flames and got out in only his boxers. The fireman told us that this was about the 20th fire in Moscow from the same reason.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Fringle, that's terrible! I'm glad you have a new reno, but you definitely have my sympathy for your stupid neighbors! Hang in there! :(

Ruth, congratulations on your 500th post! You'll be passing me if I'm not too careful! :D

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Ruth - Congrats on the post count!

Fringle - I'm so sorry for all the horror you've been through. How fortunate, though, that your husband escaped. And I admire your strength for surviving such an ordeal. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like.

Living in the country, in a century old house, I have a fear of fire. And it bothers me to even find a cigarette butt out in my drive, especially since we've been in a drought condition for some time now. I don't know what I'd do if I found one smouldering on my doorstep!

Hope your life settles down soon.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest problem with smoking is that so many people toss the cigarette butts wherever they please. A few years ago, someone threw one into the plants around our apartment building, and the plants caught fire. Luckily, it didn't get out of control, but I was furious.

Fringle, you have every right to be mad. I hope you don't have any more problems with this.

Last edited:

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
May I vent here a little please?

Ok, a little backstory. I'm an American expat living in Moscow for my husband's job. Because of the astronomical rent prices in Moscow, we bought an apt about 5 years ago and did a complete tear-out and reno.
Last spring, when the kids and I returned from a short ski trip to Austria, my husband met us at the airport wearing someone else's clothes and stinking of smoke. He handed me 2 sedation pills and then let me know that our apt burned to the bricks and pipes. We salvaged 2 acrylic chairs and a penguin-shaped martini shaker. Everything else we had was gone.
So, fast forward to today. We are back in our apt. We did a beautiful new reno and I'm nearly finished with decorating and all that. But this morning, I saw that someone had tossed, flicked, dropped, or something of the like, a cigarette on our doormat and it was burning the fibers of the doormat! WTH? Who would flick a cigarette, in a building, on someone's doormat and just leave it to burn? I'm furious right now.

I don't blame you, Fringle! I would be livid! Sadly, there's probably no way to find them and yell at them. What a terrible experience. I'm glad your husband was okay.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Fringle, that's terrible.
oops, i had clements on the brain...

Last summer I came home one afternoon to find my street blocked by 8 firetrucks. Yes, 8. Turns out the park manager's 13-yo daughter wanted to try smoking... She and a friend snuck up the hill and set the brush on fire. At the mouth of my dead-end street, of course.

When I made my way home, I found my then-15-yo plugged into his iPod. Hadn't heard a single one of the sirens... Thank goodness they had the fire under control. My kid never would've known he was in danger.

Last edited:

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Frindle, that's terrible.

Last summer I came home one afternoon to find my street blocked by 8 firetrucks. Yes, 8. Turns out the park manager's 13-yo daughter wanted to try smoking... She and a friend snuck up the hill and set the brush on fire. At the mouth of my dead-end street, of course.

When I made my way home, I found my then-15-yo plugged into his iPod. Hadn't heard a single one of the sirens... Thank goodness they had the fire under control. My kid never would've known he was in danger.

When I was young, I slept through the fire alarm a couple of times. Luckily, they were false alarms. These days I can't seem to sleep through someone whispering a mile away.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
*hands over my ears so I can't hear these awful tales*
La la la la la!

:Jump:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Ruth - congrats on your 500th post!

fringle - wow, that's scary. And it must have been terrible to lose everything in your apt. I can't imagine. So glad your hubby was okay. I think it's really cute that he had no clothes, but managed to bring you some sedation pills.

Judy, your heart must have been racing at the sight of so many firetrucks on your street. I know I'm always on edge when I leave my boys alone.

I'm exhausted. I was so exhausted yesterday that, with hubby gone for the night, I made the kids waffles for dinner. I collapsed in bed at about 9, and was asleep for a second before a live band a few doors down wakes me up. They played til midnight. I'm having trouble focusing this morning.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't be around until late tomorrow or Monday. Have fun, kidlit gang! But save me some cookies. :TheWave:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
cookies? there are cookies? WHERE???? WHAT KIND???

hmm...maybe I need to go eat some breakfast....

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Cookies for breakfast!

(Hey, it's no worse than donuts for breakfast.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
With all this sugar, no wonder you're all so bouncy.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I won't be around until late tomorrow or Monday. Have fun, kidlit gang! But save me some cookies. :TheWave:

23_7_1.gif
Shh... anybody wanna split Smish's share?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahoy! Yesterday I went to Disneyland. I am skeptical of these sorts of things, but it was really freakin fun. Flashbacks to memories of going to Disneyworld with my parents as a little kid. I bought a "Jedi Training Academy" t-shirt there, to wear at school in hopes of imposing some Jedi behavior management on my little Star Wars obsessed student. He likes to shoot everyone in class with imaginary blasters and it's quite disruptive. Friday I pulled him out of class and asked if he thought Padawans in Jedi school went around shooting blasters in class when they're supposed to be learning. We agreed that they do not and so he should not either. Jedi behavior problems demand Jedi discipline!

Soon I am off to a baby birthday party. Ice cream, and a cute 2 year old to dote on, hurray!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Kitty - I think you've got that kid's number, and he's probably wondering what your connections are. Keep him guessing.

I wish you were at our school.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I'll eat some wo-o-orms. :e2cry: