Tinker while you're waiting for a reply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
If you've sent out a full and you're waiting for a reply, do you tinker with the MS or leave it alone?

(My full got rejected -wah- and while I was in the throes of a self-pity rant, my husband reminded me that while I have been writing for years, I have not been writing novels for years, so I need to view this all as a learning process. Whatever- is he always right?)

Anyway- suddenly I feel I know exactly why I was rejected and plan to fix it, though I do have other queries out. I almost want to be pissed off at me for "wasting" these last 3.5 months not tinkering with it-- quadruple-checking for typos if nothing else.

If you send out a full, do you immediately move on, or do you still get flashes of brilliance and go tinker with it? Of course, I thought it was perfect, but after not thinking about it for nearly 4 months, I have had an aha moment.

Thoughts?

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I put the manuscript on TOTAL quarantine. Just a superstition of mine.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
I'm with Shady...that thing is put into solitary and locked up. More than anything, this is because I will drive myself crazy with the "should I have..." stuff.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually working on something completely new at that point and don't particularly care about the full until I hear back about it.

So, no, I don't tinker.

Dee Carney

Bringing sexy back
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deecarney.com
I totally move on to the next project. I feel like I should not have submitted it yet if it still needed more work. (That's what revisions are for!)

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I don't tinker. I don't even want to think about it, because there's always something you could improve. I try to move onto the next thing.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
I've only tinkered after submitting a partial. But just this ONCE. Other than that, I lock it up and forget about it. Move on to something else. ESPECIALLY if I've submitted a full.

(I guess I can take solace in the fact that I have to withdraw my partial now, anyway....)

Status
Not open for further replies.