Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseywrites

Registered
Reaction score
that would be awesome! But sadly i wanted to stick to regular bows, it fits the whole fantasy place there in.

Haha, I just had to reply to this extremely, extremely late, because I randomly saw it. Versions of crossbows were used as far back as the Classical Period of Ancient Greece. The Greek ones were called "gastraphetes", and diagrams of them have been recorded in ancient journals. Versions of the gastraphetes were continued to be used by the Romans during their conquest.

Long story short: You wanna use a crossbow in a Medieval Fantasy, then you go for it. :D Just remember they shoot bolts, not arrows, and they have more power but usually less distance than bows such as longbows.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever you write, keep this advice in mind.

tumblr_ljhzymdEIc1qil6hqo1_500.gif

emmawhy

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Para, but it's going to be so fucking badass. Even better than TDL, I bet!

-has just reread Covenant-

Hi, Dianna! I want to call you Dianna Agron. (If you don't know who she is, trust me when I say she's awesome.) I'm Tally. I'm kind of the thread little sister, at fifteen. (I used to be the thread baby, but then I grew up and there were younger ones). I write stuff where people die. A lot. Lovely to meet you!

Teehee, that makes me a little sister too :D
I'm 15 too :) It's my birthday in a few weeks *yay*

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
That's happy, Zoom. :) I'm getting jumpy watching VD. Never watched any of it before, and I have to say that Damon scares the crap out of me at this point. Like, mostly his entrances.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Um, yeah. It's not really about age. I came to the thread when I was barely 13, so I've been growing up here. xD

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I always knew we were a family. :')

I want to do character profiles, but weirdly, instead of doing them in OneNote, like I always used to, I want to do them in Word...

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. Not such a good day today. Not feeling well and the weather outside (by that I mean the wind) is horrible. I wanted to go cinema today but .. I don't want to get blown away. lol

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question: If you were calling someone your boy/girlfriend, would it make sense if the relationship was purely sexual? And would one of you have to be a sex maniac (the girlfriend in this case)?

I'm thinking Isaac's relationship with Jenny could be like that, you see. And the later relationship with Stephan would be romantic.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I just had to reply to this extremely, extremely late, because I randomly saw it. Versions of crossbows were used as far back as the Classical Period of Ancient Greece. The Greek ones were called "gastraphetes", and diagrams of them have been recorded in ancient journals. Versions of the gastraphetes were continued to be used by the Romans during their conquest.

Long story short: You wanna use a crossbow in a Medieval Fantasy, then you go for it. :D Just remember they shoot bolts, not arrows, and they have more power but usually less distance than bows such as longbows.

I know they go back pretty far but sadly the problem is they still dont really have the suplies to make one... at least not where they are now. Maybe when they hit the castle they can pick one up... its worth keeping in mind. Another problem is the the fact they do shoot bolts and not arrow, just for weight purposes, they are already carrying alot, and metal bolts are just going to drag them down more.

Thanks though!

I have a question: If you were calling someone your boy/girlfriend, would it make sense if the relationship was purely sexual? And would one of you have to be a sex maniac (the girlfriend in this case)?

I'm thinking Isaac's relationship with Jenny could be like that, you see. And the later relationship with Stephan would be romantic.

That is the kind of relationship abut 50% of teenagers have now adays. (wow kind of sound like an old person) Yeah it makes sense.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I think it also ties in with the fact that Isaac has been secretly insecure about his sexuality for a while...

ETA: I think this has got to be my favourite line in my short story:

Charlie wished he had more than one pair of eyes so that he could see everything that was happening at once.

Last edited:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
They could call themselves boyfriend/girlfriend. They could call themselves each other's hook-up partner, or friend, or friend with benefits, or 'it's complicated'.

Ally, I think there are a lot of teenagers who would say that. A lot of the time, it's not true.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

ETA: Just sent the short story to my tutor. Soon, I will be doing my character profiles (actor pictures with XX as YY and a long biography style thing). Poor OneNote has been abandoned, but thinking about it, Word is easier than OneNote in a way.

Last edited:

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I have the concentration span of a gnat today -.- I can't seem to keep on reading my book (currently re-reading City of Ashes) and I can't write (because my mind keeps wandering) I've just eaten so I'm hoping that'll curve my boredom for a little bit. I wanted to go out but ugh mum took the money she was going to give me because I said I wasn't going out, but obv now I have no money, I've decided I could have gone out. Damned mind. It's so windy outside.. I swear, I'm waiting for our house to lift off to Oz! lol

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I can't decide if I should mention his goals and character arc in the novel in Isaac's bio. I'll probably do his first, because I'm on his second chapter...

Status
Not open for further replies.