Craziest cyber-bullying case ever?

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
See, having been bullied in ways that seem ridiculous and over-dramatic to people who hear them out of context, I have a tendency to believe the people claiming they are being bullied.

And this does not ring true to me. Reading about it in her blog made that even clearer. Seeing it all laid out like that made it seem very, very unlikely to me.

I would hate to be disbelieving a victim, but this whole thing seems suspicious.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
See, having been bullied in ways that seem ridiculous and over-dramatic to people who hear them out of context, I have a tendency to believe the people claiming they are being bullied.

And this does not ring true to me. Reading about it in her blog made that even clearer. Seeing it all laid out like that made it seem very, very unlikely to me.

I would hate to be disbelieving a victim, but this whole thing seems suspicious.

There is bullying that looks ridiculous and overdramatic and is nevertheless real.

In those cases the human behavior of those involved makes sense on examination, or at least can be accounted for in real spacetime.

This case, however, does not make sense. It seems to fall apart the closer one looks.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
There is bullying that looks ridiculous and overdramatic and is nevertheless real.

In those cases the human behavior of those involved makes sense on examination, or at least can be accounted for in real spacetime.

This case, however, does not make sense. It seems to fall apart the closer one looks.

Yes, that's how I would describe it, too.

Most bullying is ridiculous. You would usually want to ask yourself, "Why would someone do that?" But this is different.

One thing that seems to stick out in everyone's mind is the bit about "Danielle" telling the girls what they were wearing, and adding, "Don't flip him off, it's rude." It seems that most of the time, when bullies send threatening messages like, "I'm watching you," they're not. They're doing it to scare the person. If they are watching the person, they don't say so. They're doing it so that they can do harm in some way.

I was also put off by what the mom was saying. Because if I were talking to a kid about this, I would be trying to diffuse the tension, and remind her that this is just a girl in her class. She is right to be upset, but this is a kid, like her.