Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Soul, the Hypno Toad rocks.

Hester, I think the pitch would actually work. No joke.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
:D.

Meanwhile, I've been wondering what FSOG bedding would look like...

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
My 9-yr-old son who has suddenly had a burst of testosterone would say the slug was humping her head.

Seriously, he's walking around pretending to hump everything -- the dog, the couch, the chair...sigh

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Tsk Cat you're just jealous you didn't think to have such innovative words to put in your scenery! Like 'the steel sky complimented the steel building that had a steel sign and steel coloured floors which complimented my new steel look jewellery and grey clothes'

*giggles*

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Is this much laughing allowed in the Pit, because I'm on the floor! :roll:

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
LOL at the last 2 pages! Entertaining reading...

BTW, Ink, I'm in love with your signature (Why not my crap?). 'Cause that about sums up how I feel right now. I've decided to adopt the rather-bleak "Expect nothing" philosophy. That way, I won't be disappointed if this final round doesn't pan out, and I'll be absolutely shocked if it does. And, it helps me move on, focus more on my WIP. Onward and upward and all that crap....

BethMac

Saying the Serenity Prayer
Registered
Reaction score
I <3 Snappy's smileys :D.

Red, dating a butcher might be useful--like Fili said, free or discount steaks!

Beth, I'm with you re: converting fan fic into original erotica. I've already come up with a pitch; "Tess of the D'Urbervilles meets the Marquis De Sade in this scintillating tale of virginal innocence, lush moors and riding crops."

Um, could you send this my way when it's ready?? ha ha

And I am dying at that frickin key chain thingy with the tie and the cuffs :crazy:

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Red, details on the butcher! Somehow, M00nstruck is coming to mind....

My 9-yr-old son who has suddenly had a burst of testosterone would say the slug was humping her head.

Um, that's what I thought at first, too.

Dull, grey, flat, repetitive pattern...like the prose

:ROFL:

Guess what I woke up to this a.m.? (Aside from more rejections, a given at this point.) Doggeh vomiting. Like, a lot. I've truly never seen so much. And we can't figure it out. He was fed at 6ish pm (dinner) and was fine, and didn't throw up until 9:00am. So 15 hours later. And he sleeps with us, so it's not like he ate something in the middle of the night. He seems okay now, but I'm a little worried....

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, poor dog, Cricket. Hope he keeps his food down. He's weighs about 60 pounds, I think you once said? Or is he bigger?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Chelsea, expect nothing is pretty much how I survive. *sigh*

(((Cricket and doggy))) I hope you figure it out and can help him.

Agent wrote back at 4 a.m. :Wha: Word of the day: plot-driven. OMG, I thought my story was plot-driven. This is as high concept as I get, people. <insert head explosion here>

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
Hope the pup feels better. Is it hot where you are? It suddenly got very hot here and my animals are all messed up about it.

For all those querying agents, I wanted to share that Query tracker premium is worth every penny. I can see what and how often an agent has requested since 2009. Some agents who look so great on their websites have responded to like 2 queries since then. No joke. Pages and pages on no responses. So I can eliminate them without a care that I'm missing out. Also, other agents at the same agency show up on the side so I can check all their stats quickly and pick which agent to go with.

On the pittish side, seeing all this is what has made me lean further toward the self-pub side of things. It's pretty bleak out there. ( insert a Teri comment a %$# agents here :D)

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
Chelsea, expect nothing is pretty much how I survive. *sigh*

(((Cricket and doggy))) I hope you figure it out and can help him.

Agent wrote back at 4 a.m. :Wha: Word of the day: plot-driven. OMG, I thought my story was plot-driven. This is as high concept as I get, people. <insert head explosion here>

Hugs Ink- It seems the word of the day truly changes daily in the land of publishing.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I also think QT premium is worth it -- it's nice because you can see when an agent requests a full that came after your query, even if they didn't respond. So you can cross them off. And yes, you can see that some of the agents request virtually nothing these days.

Beth, don't give up on querying yet! And don't forget about querying publishers. SP is a great option, but there are a lot of small and e-presses that can a launch a YA title very well.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
((Ink))

((Jenna)) I'm thinking doggeh nibbled something inedible. Or maybe he snacked on a bug that had intruded? My cat does that sometimes - nibbles on a bug and then throws up :s But you said doggeh threw up a lot so I donno. I hope he/she gets better soon

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking more about Beth's $%## agent comment, I think it's the business that's the problem more than anything else. Seeing all the discouraging publisher news upstairs in Purgatory sort of shows how had the business is, even with an agent, even with a book deal. And if your book gets skipped by the chains, you're out of luck. With the pricing the big guys put on e-books, it will be very hard to break out online without the real-life bookstore support. You might have a tidy advance, but you just won't be able to earn it out.

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I think hearing so much bad news from people who are published has discouraged me the most in all this. One can land a bad agent and if they are lucky get a good one and continue on. One can face R after R after R if there's a smidgeon of hope things will get marginally better if they get a deal. But it seems like things (by and large) are still crap for so many who do have agents/book deals. I know everything in this is hard but things really REALLY seem to be taking a downward turn. It's kind of like 'why fight and fight for an agent/book deal if even that rainbow ends in a pile of shit'?

/lament

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yup and yup to Kellion and Norma. I'm really not seeing many upsides in publishing lately. Except for a smaller and smaller pool, it sucks all around.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
What's that smell? Is that caramel? *gag*

Guess what I woke up to this a.m.? (Aside from more rejections, a given at this point.) Doggeh vomiting. Like, a lot. I've truly never seen so much. And we can't figure it out. He was fed at 6ish pm (dinner) and was fine, and didn't throw up until 9:00am. So 15 hours later. And he sleeps with us, so it's not like he ate something in the middle of the night. He seems okay now, but I'm a little worried....

My little boxer does this every few months. Just ups and vomits like that. Usually a good 12 hours after she's last eaten, but usually what looks like the whole meal she had. And then it just goes away. Vet & I have never figured out what might be causing it, but it doesn't seem to have serious repercussions. Hope your puking dog is similarly quick on the recovery.

Red, details on the butcher! Somehow, M00nstruck is coming to mind....

Hahaha! He's your standard small town Kansas boy. Went to work and got married right of high school. Then got divorced. Says things like, "Hey, you seen that Avengers movie?" and "That's about the funniest goddamn thing I ever heard." But like, good, kind redneck family guy. We had fun. I'm not yet sure if we have any chemistry. He was very gentlemanly.

Gaaaaaaaah. Give me a fucking break.

Status
Not open for further replies.