Where Would You Go to Write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
The Most Overrated Tourist Destinations thread made me wonder.....

What destinations make you pause and think to yourself: THIS is a killer place to write my novel?

I travel to write my novels, mostly to get my head in the game and escape real-life responsibilities. I look for places that have the right atmosphere and energy for me to sit down and write. Right now I include Kingston, ONT., NYC, and a little tourist trap town called Ogunquit, Maine as my writing destinations. (Someday I'll be able to regularly afford the Caribbean, maybe!)

Lots of authors do this; Annie Proulx chose Newfoundland, countless writers have chosen Paris or NYC as their writing playland...

What cities/towns/countries have the right energy to get your artistic blood flowing?

bookgeek

Vicarious is my middle name.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amywritesstuff.wordpress.com
Key West, FL. That place puts the F in fun! Plus, you can channel Ernest Hemingway and be quick and to the point with your work.

Although all the rum consumption might muck you up and cause you do to some crazy things, like breed cats with 6 toes. Or something.

...oh what the hell! You only live once! I say: Key West. Key West for me, please.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ganymede. Best lattes, and loads of peace and quiet. The tourist hit Io and Titan, but they're Jupiter's party moons, too much noise.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
To write? I actually prefer my little computer desk in my apartment. I get too distracted elsewhere.

Now, to plot is a different story. Get me anywhere with scenery. I am a daydreamer from way back. A quiet beach with waves crashing on the shore, a mountainside cabin with a campfire burning and trees with multi-colored leaves everywhere, a spot by a lake or a waterfall.

Those are the places that inspire me. But if I actually tried to write there, I'd never get anything done.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Oooooh! I wish I could tell you!!!

It's the most beautiful spot in all the earth, but little-known. And my relatives live there and they don't want anyone to know.

Well, there are probably more beautiful spots somewhere in the earth, but this is my spot.

Mine, all mine! :tongue

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really need a special place to write. But if I could take off and write another novel, I'd do it in Yellowknife or Greenland.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
A small village in Greece or Italy.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Doesn't matter to me. Take me with you when you go somewhere cool and dont' mind when I eventually stop talking and start scribbling, I'll be happy.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Somewhere quiet, away from the city like Vermont, even though I have never been there.

My second place is Rome in front of the Trevi Fountain at 2:00 AM, or on the Spanish Steps, or in the Chianti bar near the Trevi Fountain.

I pretty much need a vacation.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
To actually sit down and write? Probably anywhere with pretty scenery. Outside my window I have woods, and right now they are all the most beautiful shades of oranges, reds and yellows. When the leaves are all gone, I watch the birds and squirrels.

For all the stuff besides BIC? Anywhere!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Carrie in PA said:
To actually sit down and write? Probably anywhere with pretty scenery. Outside my window I have woods, and right now they are all the most beautiful shades of oranges, reds and yellows. When the leaves are all gone, I watch the birds and squirrels.
Can I come over? I love watching nature it is so calming.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I have the most productive writing sessions at my old university library, ironically. I think it reminds me of happy times or something.

Last edited:

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
I would rent a castle in the Carpathian Mountains so that I could be inspired by the vampire legends in the land of Dracula.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
My most productive place was my desk at my old job. There was a 'dead' period between 9 am and 10:30 am when nobody ever bothered my. I couldn't leave the desk and I had no work to do until the drivers left at 10:30, so I wrote, and it was good, and quiet and nice.

I can write at home but the kids bother me. Every time they do, I hand out a chore...but once the concentration is broken, well...you know.

When I need to really buckle under these days I go to my friends house in the mountains or I go here:
www.brendasbeachcottage.com

Really!!!! I know the owner and it is totally quiet in the winter. Very conducive to writing. Very. If you ignore the great sports bar 3 blocks up the road, and the tax free shopping in Delaware......

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The energy of the Rocky Mountains always makes it easy for me to write. I prefer the area around Colorado Springs the most but Boulder, Denver, anyplace works for me. Idaho, Montana and Wyoming are other favorites.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
A train. To anywhere. I did my best writing on the auto train to FL. We go to NYC a lot by train, too. You pass by different towns and cities and it just seems there are so many stories to be told. And some of the conversations you hear between riders or people on their cell phones are amazing.

Okay, I have a second favorite place. Here in my home office. The sunrise in the morning is breathtaking, and I can usually hear the fishing boats going out or coming in. Many days I hear the ocean. But that can be a problem on a day like today. Cool and clear and I'd love to play hooky (sp??!).

I can't write at the beach. Don't know why, but it's a place where I'd rather read.

Reaction score
cree said:
The Most Overrated Tourist Destinations thread made me wonder.....

Thank you.

I am nothing if not a thought provoking professional messageboard poster.

______

I would like to write in my home office in Westport CT facing a window that vistas out into a forest.

Or Colorado.

Thank you.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
I would have to say Negril, Jamaica. It combines my two favorite things in the world. The mountains as a backdrop to the most beautiful ocean in the world. I am in awe of both and find them inspiring.

cree

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
I would like to write in my home office in Westport CT facing a window that vistas out into a forest.

There are still forests in connecticut?
I thought they were all cut down to build housing compounds.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I write well when I travel. My favorite destination to clear my head and write for a long spell is Glacier National Park, Montana. (Also happens to be where I met my spouse.) My friend has a cabin outside Whitefish, and it's the most peaceful spot in the universe.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would go to the Scottish island of Iona, preferably in spring when the orchid and sea pinks are blooming and the Puffins are flying in on thise silly little wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.