Romney: "No one's ever asked to see my birth certificate"

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, my comment about giving Romney the benefit of the doubt was tongue-in-cheek.

Romeny is all you say and more. As with Palin, he is his, and his party's worst enemy. The more America will learn about him the less they'll like him. He wears his despiration like a shroud. Picking Ryan in an obvious attempt to pander to the far-right will be his undoing. Where as Mitt doesn't like to say or do anything he can't back away from, or undo with a simple lie/denial, Ryan wears his far-right convictions on his sleeve for all the world to see. And we haven't even seen Romney go head to head with Obama on the issues. Romney is out of his league, wasn't even a true contender in 2008 for the GOP nom, and now he's the best the GOP could come up with.

And as in 2008, ultimately, the race won't even be close.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
And as in 2008, ultimately, the race won't even be close.
This is wishful thinking.

The GOP are masters at stoking resentment. The white middle class is aware that they've been screwed, and they're looking for someone easy to blame it on.

Thus, racial politics -- those ads explaining that your hard earned dollars are going to people on welfare (which has been code for black" since the Reagon days) who just sit back and collect checks, illegal immigrants taking American jobs -- and in addition, the FedGov spending and wasting all your money.

All of this is nonsense of course. But the fact that they've been screwed is not, nor is the difficult economic climate. The resentment over what has happened is real, and the brunt of that resentment goes toward whoever is in charge at the moment. It doesn't matter if a president is Republican or Democrat, what matters is that they are the person in charge, and people want to lash out at whomever it is.

Romney is a weak candidate with problems of his own. Otherwise it would be no contest. But it will be close, make no mistake. Add in the voter suppression drives (which can actually tip the balance in some swing states) and you've got a horserace.

Not that I'm happy about this, but that's what the political reality is.

And as I've said before, any prognostication has to take into account actual events before the election.

If the economy were to suddenly go on the upswing, Obama will win easily. If it goes into a steeper decline, i think Romney will come out on top. If it's up and down and inconclusive, I think Obama will squeak by.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question: if Romney hadn't made that joke (or any of his other less than stellar comments)... then what? Would you vote for him?

If the birthers were handed some sort of proof that even they couldn't deny :)rolleyes:), would they vote for Obama this November?

Do you honestly believe that any of this fucking drama is going to make a single voter do an about face and pick the other guy? (Gee, I really like Obama's policies, but I've heard he wasn't born on American soil. Romney it is!)

All of this bullshit is coming from the extremists on both sides. Romney says it, the liberal press reports it, people get outraged. Obama says it, the conservative press reports it, people get outraged. Hooray! Now we're getting somewhere!

Let's talk about the economy. Let's talk about healthcare. Let's talk about unemployment. Let's talk about medicare and medicaid. Let's talk about poverty. Let's talk about the education system. Let's talk about the deficit. Let's talk about all the foreign wars we're fighting.

For Chrissakes.

I... basically agree with this. But I know it's but a dream to think any of these things will ever be addressed in any meaningful manner by politicians or the public in a timely fashion, particularly in an election year.

I can only take solace in knowing that things will be different after I take over the world.