Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award 2011

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
After some consideration I have decided once again to enter the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award with my recently-completed historical novel Mr Stephenson's Regret. I entered last year with my thriller 11:59 and managed to get to the semi-final stage. The book was subsequently published by Wild Wolf.

I have a feeling it will be more difficult to get so far with an historical novel, but it will be interesting to find out. There are several stages to the competition, or should I say hurdles. From a possible 10,000 entries that start out as runners in the two categories (General Fiction and Young Adult Fiction) only two will cross the finish line - one in each category - while bodies pile up at the fences behind them. The first fence is The Pitch - a maximum of 300 words to interest the judges enough to put you through to the next round. There is much massacre here; a maximum of 1,000 entrants in each category will be allowed to progress to the Second Round, so most poor souls won't be given the opportunity to have one word of their manuscript read before they are unceremoniously culled. It's a hard world.

I've posted my pitch at my blog writer in the north for anyone interested. There are a few days of edit time before the deadline (6 Feb) so if anyone has some valuable advice to give me about the pitch, please do not hesitate. It might save me falling flat on my face.
progress.gif

tammay

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you! I like the pitch. I'm a huge fan of Victorian-era fiction, so the best of luck to you :).

Tam

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Writer - I usually refuse to go offsite to look at anything, but did after I noticed you're a newcomer and quite a few posts away from being able to put this in Share Your Work.

I wasn't particularly thrilled with your pitch (I would equate a pitch to the material on the back cover of a book that catches readers). But, since you made it to the semi-final stage last year, you may be right in the way you did it. I personally would have expected something more dynamic.

Aside from the tone, I was concerned you didn't specify the locale for your story until near the end of the pitch - and that's very important, at least it is in my opinion.

If you haven't, you might want to take a trip over to Query Letter Hell in Share Your Work and read some of the query synopses paragraphs people are putting out - and then see how your pitch compares to theirs. You can do that, and even leave comments on them before you arrive at the magic 50 posts to put up a piece of your own for comments. Hope this helps. Puma

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Writerinthenorth, I agree with Puma; I think the pitch doesn't do justice to the potential of your novel, which sounds like something I'd like to read...
Unfortunately, submissions have closed for the General Fiction category of ABNA so you can't edit any more. But you never know; it's all subjective and you may get a history buff as a reader who loves the idewa of your pitch and pushed you through.
In any case, here's another ABNA therad where other people who have entered have posted; we can watch each others' progress there.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
This doesn't read like a pitch. More like a high school book report.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
hmmm -- it's a bit confusing, with both these threads having exactly the same title. I was goig to ask you "what pitch"? till I realised you were on the History thread!
Maybe a mod could change one of the titles to distinguish them.

ETA -- there IS a difference. The other one is a question!

Last edited:

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
Over the first hurdle

So, I got through the pitch round. Thanks to everyone who 'pitched in' with comments, suggestions and good wishes.

writerinthenorth

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
Extract from Mr Stephenson's Regret

ABNA have now made the quarter final extracts available for general review. It would be really helpful to have reviews of my extract on site, so if you have time please visit, read and review. My category is Historical Fiction and my extract is no. 40. There is rather a long-winded link below which should take you direct to the Kindle download link. Many thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TEYSXS/?tag=absowrit-20

writerinthenorth

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award

If you don't have a Kindle, you can download a free thing from Amazon called Kindle for your PC, which allows you to read Kindle stuff on your computer - it's very quick and easy to load.
The link is http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

Alternatively you can go to my blog posting on the subject and read the extract there , then simply put your customer review on the Amazon site without downloading the extract.

Here's the link to the blog posting.
http://writerinthenorth.blogspot.com/2011/03/regret-reaches-abna-quarter-final.html

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! It's obvious my assessment of your pitch was way off, which is very interesting to me. Now to think about whether that equates to any differences in the way novels should be pitched to agents. You may have helped us more than you expected when you posted, writerinthenorth. Thank you. Puma

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I've...

had another read of David's pitch. Its task was to make the judges want to read the novel.

I think it did just that, examining not just the plot, but also the motivations, conflicts and relevance to today's readers.

I bring this up because I wonder how different the pitch/query would be if it had been written for an agent.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
How on earth did you re-find the pitch, pdr? All I found was a blog of quotes.

I'm curious too about pitch versus query ... and all the things we hear about hook, hook, hook. When I read his pitch it came no where close to exciting me. So now I'm puzzled. Puma

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
Whatever you do, don't judge the ABNA pitch as anything that will net agent attention. It's completely hit and miss, to the point where some people who've submitted the exact same pitch for the same (revised) novel see different results at the pitch round. I'm convinced that until you go from quarters to semis, it's mostly like a lottery with a bit of talent required for entry. Very mixed bag until that point.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I think I would pitch in much the same way to an agent, for better or worse.

:) That's not saying anything negative about your pitch, writer (TBH, I haven't even read it). The ABNA judging, however, while it mimics the query/partial/full process of finding an agent, doesn't utilize the same types of professionals. You can have an excellent query that nets tons of requests from agents that fails at pitch for ABNA, and vice versa. But going through ABNA pitches to find something to model queries after is a bad idea.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I just re-read it too. I think I'd classify it as a cross between a synopsis and a review, probably closer to a review. It's looking in from a distance rather than up close and personal and written objectively.

As I said. Very interesting. Food for thought. Puma