Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
Ok....time for me to sound REALLY stupid! (I'm sorry for this.....) But I REALLY need some clarification....what's "SNI"??

This morning is a bad morning. Jamie just called. He fell on the ice at work and is pretty hurt. Going now to meet him at work. He's putting on a strong face, but I can hear pain in his voice (not like him). Send happy thoughts. I'll check back soon.

Kyva, I'm sorry to hear that ^^ I'm hoping everything is ok!

Erica.....YOU GO GIRL!! Sorry to hear about the baby though....it seems that everyone that I know has sick babies.....poor widdle people!

Channely.....I'm sorry...but WHAT are you waiting on?? I know that unanswered emails can be about the most nerve wracking ever. Mom always told me "a watched pot never boils" basically a nod to patience....but unfortunately for her I think that I was born patience deficient, so I DO understand the basic premise of what you're going through even if I don't understand what you're going through it about....(was that English?? I hope that it made sense!)

I think that I just need to go into the kitchen an brew a pot of "Wake me up"!:e2coffee:

Save my seat....I'll be right back!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
SNI is one of the hardest acronyms to get. It means Shiny New Idea.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
O!! Thanx Sage....now I REALLY feel like a dolt! (That new Thesaurus is working out for me see.....! LOL)

Well, I can fully report that I procrastinated the day away yesterday and only got 337 words written....that's not thousand....that's three hundred thirty seven. Blah! Ok Erica....time for your spurts of energy & ideas birdie to come and poop on MY head! LOL

How IS everyone this morning? (I think that I forgot to ask before....sorry.....my bad!)

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
SNI is one of the hardest acronyms to get. It means Shiny New Idea.

I thought it was funny when I read Lisa & Laura calling them "Slutty New Ideas"....lol. It does make sense since you cheat on your WIPS with the slutty new ideas, lol.

I kinda like Shiny New Ideas better.

lindzmill

This space for sale.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Sexy New Idea works too-- kinda combines "slutty" & "shiny" ideas. And everything is so much sexier at first, until you start to actually write and muck it up with plot holes and inconsistencies and... problems. ;)

Also, good morning/ afternoon!

erica_henry

Typing away 1 word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erica-henry.blogger.com
Ok....time for me to sound REALLY stupid! (I'm sorry for this.....) But I REALLY need some clarification....what's "SNI"??

Erica.....YOU GO GIRL!! Sorry to hear about the baby though....it seems that everyone that I know has sick babies.....poor widdle people!

Channely.....I'm sorry...but WHAT are you waiting on??

Shiny New Idea - I had no clue on that one either until someone finally wrote it out.

Thanks. 9.5K is my all time high in a day.

Channelly had an offer of rep earlier this week. She's waiting on agents who have her material at the moment to respond if they are going to offer before her deadline she set to accept the other.

erica_henry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Number of words I've written today ----- drum roll--------- Zero. Today has been an I want mommy day and phone ringing off the hook day and it's only 9. Hmm. Might be time for Eclipse to get the baby to sit and watch it so I can write. Got to love those werewolves. He just loves them :D

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
O!! Thanx Sage....now I REALLY feel like a dolt! (That new Thesaurus is working out for me see.....! LOL)

Don't feel bad, I think that one confuses everyone at first :) I like Sexy New Ideas, though... speaking of them, I need one >.< *wallows in wastelands of lack of inspiration*

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! New concept....giving THEM a timeline......now THAT'S a "novel" idea!! I hadn't even thought that it was possible to do that.....good goin!! I'm hopin that it works out for you...I know how frustrating patience can be....it's kinda like giving your phone number to a guy....do you call him....do you wait for him to call you.....why isn't he calling you.....why do us women always have that burden of waiting??? MEN! (No offense to the men out there....I'm just venting!)

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Number of words I've written today ----- drum roll--------- Zero. Today has been an I want mommy day and phone ringing off the hook day and it's only 9. Hmm. Might be time for Eclipse to get the baby to sit and watch it so I can write. Got to love those werewolves. He just loves them :D

How old's your little guy that he'll sit still through a movie like that? My son James (he's 15 now) would only sit still through Blue's Clues. I usta take naps during that show....but I stopped when I started dreaming I was in the tub with Steve.....GAH! Banish the thoughts from my mind!!!!

erica_henry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oooh! New concept....giving THEM a timeline......now THAT'S a "novel" idea!! I hadn't even thought that it was possible to do that.....good goin!! I'm hopin that it works out for you...I know how frustrating patience can be....it's kinda like giving your phone number to a guy....do you call him....do you wait for him to call you.....why isn't he calling you.....why do us women always have that burden of waiting??? MEN! (No offense to the men out there....I'm just venting!)
Yeah, once you have an offer, you can email everyone who has partials or fulls and just tell them that you have had an offer and that they have till ________ to offer as well. Some agents even like to know this even if they just have a query out, but definitely not all of them do.

How old's your little guy that he'll sit still through a movie like that? My son James (he's 15 now) would only sit still through Blue's Clues. I usta take naps during that show....but I stopped when I started dreaming I was in the tub with Steve.....GAH! Banish the thoughts from my mind!!!!
Ok, one more thing we have in common. My son's name is James too. lol. He's 2. He loves the "roars" (werewolves). He doesn't sit through it the whole time, but he tends to watch quite a bit of it. Oh and Steve is no longer on the show. I don't like the new guy. I can't remember his name though. Steve had a nervous breakdown a few years back (at least that is what I read in several places but who knows). He really likes Wonder Pets and Mickey Mouse Club House but those only last like 15 minutes.

erica_henry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't feel bad, I think that one confuses everyone at first :) I like Sexy New Ideas, though... speaking of them, I need one >.< *wallows in wastelands of lack of inspiration*

I'm debating on what I'll work on next. I still have My-Not-So-Normal-Life
that I could pull out of the trunk, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of a rewrite. I am thinking of a witch type book. IDK. Also thinking of a ghost hunter book. I haven't tried to develop them yet, so I'm not sure which will win.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts gals. Haven't heard anything yet. I couldn't get out, there's ice under my car and I can't get traction. Jamie thinks his shoulder is dislocated, but we won't know for sure until he calls me. I looked it up though. 12-16 weeks recovery depending on the injury.

Jamie depends on his arms for work (stocks pet food) so this means he'd be out of work. I don't have a job, am on unemployment and trying like hell to find freelance work. I have a little saves up to cover bills for a few months, but after that, I dunno.

Looks like dreaming/writing will have to get put on hold. Which sucks, I got a partial request last night ...

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, I titled it 'offer of representation' - so it's obvious the minute they look at their inbox!!

Danaalisonlevy

Trying to bring the awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danaalisonlevy.wordpress.com
Hey all-
So we're back already! Glad to see all the familiar avis! As for SNIs - I always call them sexy new ideas, because they totally flirt and beg you to cheat. And I for one, need to remain monogamous to my WIP or it all goes bad...flashbacks to poor college choices and inappropriate flirting...but I digress.
Happy Friday!

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all-
So we're back already! Glad to see all the familiar avis! As for SNIs - I always call them sexy new ideas, because they totally flirt and beg you to cheat. And I for one, need to remain monogamous to my WIP or it all goes bad...flashbacks to poor college choices and inappropriate flirting...but I digress.
Happy Friday!

A woman after my own heart! I have like 3 other idears in my head....but if I stray from my current work everything will go to hell in a handbasket quicker than you can say "Divorce Lawyer"! I blame that on the ADHD. I can work on several quilting projects at once....but writing projects....I've tried that....I end up mixing everything up....in the end it's like I wrote one of the most confusing mad libs ever! LOL

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
that I could pull out of the trunk, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of a rewrite. I am thinking of a witch type book. IDK. Also thinking of a ghost hunter book. I haven't tried to develop them yet, so I'm not sure which will win.

I seem to remember conversations online about that yesterday.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm:poke:

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score

I feel like I'm overanalyzing what-to-write-next too much, because I keep hearing agents/editors talk about how there's too much <insert genre> out there. gah!
ghost hunters sound fun :) (I love that show though <.<)

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
ghost hunters sound fun :) (I love that show though <.<)

I've been watching one on the Travel Channel that kinda makes me mad....but I can't stop watching called "Ghost Adventures"....this guy just won't stop being mean...but my fascination with the show won't let me NOT watch it....it's like that train wreck, you DON'T want to look....but can't HELP it.......*SIGH*

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching one on the Travel Channel that kinda makes me mad....but I can't stop watching called "Ghost Adventures"....this guy just won't stop being mean...but my fascination with the show won't let me NOT watch it....it's like that train wreck, you DON'T want to look....but can't HELP it.......*SIGH*

Oh, is that the one where he shouts at the ghosts and insults them and stuff? That annoys me too. I mean, if they do exist... way to be disrespectful <.<

erica_henry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Has anyone here just sent material straight to a publisher without looking for an agent? I've been thinking about that lately. I kind of want the security of an agent and most publishers that I've researched do not really like multiple submissions so it seems like it wouldn't save time to do it that way. If you have to wait months before you hear a response and most of them I've seen say not to include a SASE because they only respond if interested and don't send material back. I was just wanting your advice.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, is that the one where he shouts at the ghosts and insults them and stuff? That annoys me too. I mean, if they do exist... way to be disrespectful <.<

Yeah, that's it.....Ghosts were people too....they have feelings. That & that one guy on his crew....he just keeps sending that poor guy in to do things that guy just doesn't want to do....I don't understand why that guy just doesn't say "F this....I'm outtie!" LOL.

Just talk to the ghosts nicely & I'm sure you'll get a heckuva lot more conversation out of them!! Sheesh! LOL

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here just sent material straight to a publisher without looking for an agent? I've been thinking about that lately. I kind of want the security of an agent and most publishers that I've researched do not really like multiple submissions so it seems like it wouldn't save time to do it that way. If you have to wait months before you hear a response and most of them I've seen say not to include a SASE because they only respond if interested and don't send material back. I was just wanting your advice.

I've only sent material to editors I met at a conference (like SCBWI events), who indicated interest after reading a sample page or hearing a pitch or something. Since I know most editors don't accept unsolicited material from unagented people anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.