Any Suggestions of Agencies that Take Unsolicited Scripts...

Geniussavantwriter

Registered
Reaction score
That are interested in offbeat, or dark comedies?

I've been looking at dark comedies that I like and trying to find what agents represent their writers, but was wondering if anybody could offer any additional help.

Thanks in advance

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Agencies aren't in the genre business. Certain agents might gravitate toward certain genres - because they've had more success in selling or setting them up.

Generally speaking, black comedies are rarely in vogue with the industry or mainstream audiences.

A hard sell to Hollywood means a hard sell to agents. If a writer asked me in advance if he should take four months to write a black comedy, I'd tell him no.

To prevent yourself from getting shut down too quickly from the bias, I'd suggest you refer to it as an "edgy comedy" instead of a black comedy.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Black comedy might be easier to pitch in the UK than the US but it better be razor-sharp. Wit does well, gross-out humour, not really... Not sure where the OP is based though for now I am assuming American.

That are interested in offbeat, or dark comedies?

I've been looking at dark comedies that I like and trying to find what agents represent their writers, but was wondering if anybody could offer any additional help.

Thanks in advance

As far as I know IMDB is a good source, but you need the paid version to access those sorts of things.

Your best bet is to go through the larger agencies one-by-one, look at the agent's bios to see if they do accept screenplays (many say explicitly whether the do or don't) and then find an agent who you think might be a good match.

And of course, nail your 'elevator pitch' and so on before sending out anything.

Last edited:

hunnypot

Registered
Reaction score
Can I hijack this thread for a moment to ask...
is there any point in sending unsolicited scripts to agents when I don't think I'll ever be able to move to LA (or anywhere else the agent, studio etc. is)? I don't want to be wasting my time or anyone elses.

BruinScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Don't send scripts unsolicited. Query them with the longline. If they are interested, they'll ask to read it.

However, most people don't get signed based on a query (unless they won a big contest or something). It usually works far better to have someone else pass them your script (ex. A manager or another writer they rep and trust).