Versailles: The Dream of a King [UK only]

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it! I wanted so much more about the building and much less about Louis XIV! The one thing I really wanted to know was how the building survived the French Revolution.

It was an interesting study of Louis as much as the building - how an absolute monarch can make a dream reality. It was, in a way, magical - Louis said 'I approve' and things happened. The 'how to confuse a peasant' was novel! A woman slagged the king off because her husband had been killed on the building site. She got whipped for the verbal abuse and compensated for losing her husband! Nice one!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it! I wanted so much more about the building and much less about Louis XIV! The one thing I really wanted to know was how the building survived the French Revolution.

It was an interesting study of Louis as much as the building - how an absolute monarch can make a dream reality. It was, in a way, magical - Louis said 'I approve' and things happened. The 'how to confuse a peasant' was novel! A woman slagged the king off because her husband had been killed on the building site. She got whipped for the verbal abuse and compensated for losing her husband! Nice one!

I actually missed it. Thought it was on at 21:00 and switched over and caught the last ten minutes. Going to watch it on iplayer later. :)

Love Louis XIV. I would love to write a book about the Affair of the Poisons sometime or about the 'le masque de la fere.'

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
They sound interesting and I could get beguiled into reading them! I am more interested in the building of a palace than in Louis. Blame my mother who was totally besotted with the man! Her enthusiasm smothered any I might have felt - but then I Love RIII! Looking forward to reading your view of the programme.

Last edited:

austen

Registered
Reaction score
I found Dream of the King on You Tube. I'm in the midst of research on Versailles for my current project. This was just what I needed. Thank you for posting this!