Submission Advice from the Editor

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Another interesting proposal from the slushpile came in today, and sparked this advice for aspiring authors:

If you propose to write a book about how to write a book, it's a good idea to be a good writer, first. I received the most recent of many proposals for a how-to book on writing for a particular genre. The letter was terrific and well written and I was very intrigued by what this person was proposing. So far so good.

I turned to the sample chapters. This is where everything fell apart. The sample chapters were so badly written that I couldn't quite follow what the author was trying to say. They were so bad that I couldn't quite believe the author had sent them to me.

This happens far more often than not--a query is good; a proposal is pretty good; and the actual product is bad, bad, bad.

So for everyone out there who writes a terrific query letter: make sure you spend as much time making your book as good as the letter you send.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Good point, Lauri. And according to miss Snark, when submitting such a book, by golly, it would be great if such author had actually published novels under their belt (with a name-house) to give credence and affirmation to their knowledge in the industry. Platform and experience would certainly be important in this instance, not to mention several articles out there as well.

Tri

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the author of this book mentioned 15 novels she had written, with more under contract. It was only after I read the sample chapters and went to her website that I realized the publishers she had worked with aren't really what you'd call "name-house."

Kristen, I don't think she hired anyone to write her query; I think that's what she worked on over and over to hone her pitch. And that's a real problem that has been discussed here earlier, by others. What often happens is that a writer works on his or her query, proposal, and the first few chapters of a work based on feedback or rejections or whatever, and they are really good. The problem is that the rest of the work doesn't live up to the initial sample. In this particular case, the sample didn't live up to the query letter.

How do I feel about the practice of someone hiring someone else to write a query letter? If you can't manage to write a decent query letter for yourself, you have absolutely NO business submitting a manuscript. Why would anyone assume that the query letter is more difficult or more important to get "right" than the book itself? Yes, a query letter can get your foot in the door, but what's the point of that if the manuscript you then send in isn't at least as good as the query that piqued an editor or agent's interest in the first place? I'm a big believer in self-reliance. If you can't write well enough to interest a house or agent, then please don't hire someone to write for you. Do something else with your time.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
triceretops said:
Good point, Lauri. And according to miss Snark, when submitting such a book, by golly, it would be great if such author had actually published novels under their belt (with a name-house) to give credence and affirmation to their knowledge in the industry. Platform and experience would certainly be important in this instance, not to mention several articles out there as well.

Tri

It should be, but until King's "On Writing" was released, "Natalie Goldberg's "Writing Down the Bones" was quite likely the best-selling how-to write book of all time. And have you taken a look at what she had published before writing a how-to book? Pretty much zero.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
Jamesaritchie said:
It should be, but until King's "On Writing" was released, "Natalie Goldberg's "Writing Down the Bones" was quite likely the best-selling how-to write book of all time. And have you taken a look at what she had published before writing a how-to book? Pretty much zero.

Good point and good example.

Kristen

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:

It wasn't a question of being well-known in the industry in this case (although it definitely helps sell books); it was the fact that the sample chapters this author sent me were absolutely incomprehensible: full of incomplete sentences (which as far as I can tell was NOT intentional), strange assumptions, and just plain terrible writing. I receive manuscripts in this shape fairly regularly so that wasn't what I was commenting on; rather, it was the fact that this person was submitting a how-to book on writing that was so badly written I had to take note.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Nomad said:
this person was submitting a how-to book on writing that was so badly written I had to take note.

Perhaps you misread the concept, and in fact it was a book on how NOT to write well. (Smart aleck emoticon inserted here, only I can't find one that's not bald.)

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
Silver King said:
Perhaps you misread the concept, and in fact it was a book on how NOT to write well. (Smart aleck emoticon inserted here, only I can't find one that's not bald.)

Ah, yes, you let a winner slip away because you couldn't get through the what-not-to-do chapters. ;]

Kristen

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:

An interesting observation. I found Natalie Goldberg's book, when looked at closely, to be full of vacuous froth. In particular her emphasis on how unpublished writers shouldn't worry about publication, which struck me as recommending that poor people shouldn't worry about money. The fact that she was selling bazoogles of her published book by advising people not to worry about publication was an extra bonus.

caw.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Bones

aruna said:
Makes you wonder how it found a publisher right? What was her platform?

I believe the book was originally published by Bantam's New Age line, so her New Age approach to writing meant more than any expertise she actaully had.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
And if I remember right, it was one of the first books that offered a spiritual/therapeutic approach to writing, rather than a nuts-and-bolts how-to.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
ha! Worked for her, though.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Nomad said:
And if I remember right, it was one of the first books that offered a spiritual/therapeutic approach to writing, rather than a nuts-and-bolts how-to.

Well, Dorothea Brande's Becoming a Writer was published 1934 and it's a classic. I took all her advice and that was my route into writing pubishable work. It's so good and so much better; it predates all the New Age stuff and yet it's more of a secret than a bestseller. Strange how these things work.

Tami_Elder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blogomonster.com
Ok I'm not entirely certain that this is where I should ask this, but please bear with me, as i am new to this forum.

Now, I am by no means new to writing. I have been writing seriously for fourteen years. However, I have discovered the Catch 22 situation that the "New" writer faces today. For nearly all publishing houses anymore, you have to either have an agent or be previously published before they'll even look at your writing. Now, while Agent's may serve a puprose, i am not comfortable with someone else gaining money off of my years of hard work and effort.

My question is this. It is my goal to break into print, but I am unsure of how to go about it with all of the "we don't accept unsolicited manuscripts" red tape to cut through. Without recommending an Agent, can you give me any tips on how to break into print with a legitimate publishing house? And a quick FYI: I'm not interested in PoD, Subsidy Publishing, Self-Publishing, or any other vanity press.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
Tami_Elder said:
Now, while Agent's may serve a puprose, i am not comfortable with someone else gaining money off of my years of hard work and effort.

Really? I'd like nothing better than to have an agent making 15% from my years of hard work and effort.

Without recommending an Agent, can you give me any tips on how to break into print with a legitimate publishing house?

If we knew the answer to that one, there'd be no need for this board to exist. Apart from the standard cliches like "Gee whiz, all you need is a Brilliant Manuscript(tm) and a Dynamite Query Letter(tm)!" the best advice is just to keep writing, keep improving, keep submitting, and don't be easily discouraged.

Oh, and by the way:

1: "Agent" is not capitalized unless it falls at the beginning of a sentence
2: The plural of "agent" is "agents," without an apostrophe.
3: Purpose.

I point these things out not to be annoying but to warn you that if such errors are appearing in your manuscript or query letter, both agents and publishers will generally cross you off their lists at once.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Arkady, play nice, please.

Tami, I know it seems like a total Catch-22, but it's really not. There are lots of publishers that accept non-agented manuscripts and queries, and even many of the big NY houses will take a look if your pitch is solid and intriguing and the manuscript is worth reviewing. Have you had your work published in the past (in magazines, newspapers, etc.?) If so, you know how to query and pitch properly. It sounds more like you don't know publishers in your market particularly well. Do you have a copy of Writer's Market (which isn't always accurate, but can be a good starting point)? What I would recommend is buying or borrowing a copy of that book, marking off some good possible candidates, then going to each publisher's web site to check submission guidelines. You'll find dozens of legitimate, excellent presses who take unsolicited, unagented manuscripts. Start from the top and go down: pitch and submit to the publishers you really, really want to work with, then move down your list if they don't accept your work. Don't settle.
Does that help at all? Good luck!

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tami_Elder said:
Now, I am by no means new to writing. I have been writing seriously for fourteen years. However, I have discovered the Catch 22 situation that the "New" writer faces today. For nearly all publishing houses anymore, you have to either have an agent or be previously published before they'll even look at your writing. Now, while Agent's may serve a puprose, i am not comfortable with someone else gaining money off of my years of hard work and effort.

My question is this. It is my goal to break into print, but I am unsure of how to go about it with all of the "we don't accept unsolicited manuscripts" red tape to cut through. Without recommending an Agent, can you give me any tips on how to break into print with a legitimate publishing house.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Arkady, you need to take a chill pill.

Tami, I'd listen to what Nomad is saying. From stuff I've read on these boards, you have to figure out where your novel fits in with the commercial houses. If you come to the conclusion it wouldn't have wide appeal, you might consider the small presses (look at the sticky at the top of the Bewares and Backgrounds forum on the lists of publishers for a good start).

But if you think your novel would fit in with a commercial house, by all means, go the agent route. Taking 15% off the top isn't as bad as it sounds, when you realize that those publishing houses that accept unsolicited mss. have a year (or more) wait, when an agent can get that ms. to the editor in half that time or less.

So I'd rethink the whole agent thing. Yes, it sucks to have someone else take a percentage of what you'd be getting up front. But think of it this way: a legitimate agent is going to look out for your interests so that you get the best contract deal (Agent Kristin went through that on her blog, http://pubrants.blogspot.com) because they have a vested interest in your book doing well. Check out the 20 Worst Agents thread in Bewares for those agents to avoid.

Oh, and check out some agent blogs, too. The one I noted above is an excellent one (she's currently going through query letters that worked for her AND got the author a publishing contract). You also should check out Miss Snark (http://misssnark.blogspot.com). Rachel Vader's blog (Lit Agent X) is also a good one http://raleva31.livejournal.com.

Read up on this stuff, see what legit agents have to say. Although Miss Snark can be, well, snarky :tongue, she still imparts some great stuff, as do the others I mentioned above.

Good luck!

~Nancy

Last edited: