UK medical training in the 1940s

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I've found a few sources but nothing detailed enough for me to be confident I won't mess this up. I do know there have been changes so I can't assume it is the same as current. I'm working on a piece with a young House Officer in 1939 and need to know exactly what is involved in qualifying.

Anyone happen to have a suggestion for finding a good source? (I don't even know any physicians who trained in that period) Thanks.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read any of the 'Doctor in...' series, starting with 'Doctor in the House', by Richard Gordon? Written for laughs, but reasonably representative of med school life for junior doctor in the 40s and early 50s

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read any of the 'Doctor in...' series, starting with 'Doctor in the House', by Richard Gordon? Written for laughs, but reasonably representative of med school life for junior doctor in the 40s and early 50s

I haven't read those. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if it's any use to you but my other half is a doctor and he seemed to think this book was pretty good on the subject:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0141010649/?tag=absolutewrite-21

That looks interesting and worth reading but not really what I am looking for.

I'm not really looking for a history of medicine but want to be sure I don't get anything wrong in how one qualified in the 1940s since that has changed according to what I have read.

I may read it anyway. Looks like some interesting stuff on the history of medicine. :)