Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Woke up to two R's earlier this morning. Not fun.

The problem with living in California is you wake up and NYC is already busy.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Soul has cracked the whip, Snappy! Get to it.

Hugs for Steve, Teri, Cricket, Ink, Cat -- wait, let's hug everyone.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
(((Ink))) You need a vacation, babe.

(((Cricket))) You too.

(((Teri))) Sorry about the Rs.

(((Steve))) May the force be with you as you figure out the best path.

Soul!!! I missed you.

Good luck, lkp!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that a rejection feels much like a punch in the stomach? DUH Teriann.

I think everyone needs a vacation. Too much work all around.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
LOL Snappy! Love the smiley!!!!

:whip: <- Now, back to those edits Snapps! Mwa ha haaaa use those epic beta notes I sent you *has inflated sense of help-age*

Soul has cracked the whip, Snappy! Get to it.

Ok. Ok.
im-ok-smiley.gif

And Soul, not inflated at all. But, shh. Your beta-reading skills must remain secret! *slinks around like Gollum chanting my precccioussss*

Has anyone else noticed that a rejection feels much like a punch in the stomach? DUH Teriann.

I think everyone needs a vacation. Too much work all around.

Yes and YES!

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
{{Teri}}

Waves to Soul -- did you notice we redecorated? New walls: Plaster de Pit; New air freshener: Eau de Pit; New carpet: Oh wait, that's not new carpet. Whose turn is it to scoop the hellhound poop? It's piling up. Anybody?

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
*looks around* OOoooh so THAT'S what changed!

*jumps between Snappy and Red* ladies please! *preens then jumps out of the way* fight over me if you must! ;)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, I talked to my agent last night: the bottom line is she is fine with sending the ms. to the editor. But --- she did say she thinks there are two big areas that could be improved in the ms. As usual, they are both areas I have identified myself but have been too scared to admit to myself. The first is to add more magic, mystery, mysticism. I like that. The second...is the hard one and is the reason I gave up on the ms. The story takes too long to get going. But I have no idea how or where to cut because everything that happens in the beginning seems so essential to me. So I'm not sure what to do about that, though I have ideas. BUT she is not making me revise before we send it to the agent. I know there is someone out there (Uncle Jim?) who says only revise for someone who will pay you money. She thinks she can present it to the editor as a fabulous story that I am eager to make perfect with her expert editorial guidance. This seems like a good plan to me --- worst case is editor says go away and fix it and then send it, or editor decides to read as is.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Lkp, I think that's a fabulous plan. The editor already loves your work and knows you can write. She'll be willing to work with you.

I like agents who sub -- she seems like a good partner for you! *fingers crossed*

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, I talked to my agent last night: the bottom line is she is fine with sending the ms. to the editor. But --- she did say she thinks there are two big areas that could be improved in the ms. As usual, they are both areas I have identified myself but have been too scared to admit to myself. The first is to add more magic, mystery, mysticism. I like that. The second...is the hard one and is the reason I gave up on the ms. The story takes too long to get going. But I have no idea how or where to cut because everything that happens in the beginning seems so essential to me. So I'm not sure what to do about that, though I have ideas. BUT she is not making me revise before we send it to the agent. I know there is someone out there (Uncle Jim?) who says only revise for someone who will pay you money. She thinks she can present it to the editor as a fabulous story that I am eager to make perfect with her expert editorial guidance. This seems like a good plan to me --- worst case is editor says go away and fix it and then send it, or editor decides to read as is.

Sounds great.

You know, one of the how-to fiction books I read a long time ago and liked says it isn't always necessary (or even necessarily good) to start a story with a bang. The book talked about "high" and "low" beginnings. There are all sorts of views. what you did may even not be a problem at all.

For what it's worth, I'd hope Uncle Jim (or whoever said that) would make an exception if you agree with the suggestions.:) but the plan sounds perfect.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Sounds great, LKP

Hey guys, still swamped at work, but I was able to email my decison in response to the options he offered, and my reasoning behind it. I'll update you when I learn more.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Lkp and Steve! Maybe we'll get some Pit escapees yet.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
HAHAHAH Snappy OMG you are priceless!!! :D

dreamy-eyes-smiley.gif
LOL.

Lkp, I think that's a fabulous plan. The editor already loves your work and knows you can write. She'll be willing to work with you.

I like agents who sub -- she seems like a good partner for you! *fingers crossed*

What Kellion said. *all crossables crossed*

Steve, excellent. May it all work out the best for you.

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
Huzzah pit! Slightly bright news. One of my short stories just went up today. I haven't looked at it since it was accepted and had one of those moments today like, hey I wrote that? Anywho, it's funny. I'm relatively new here but my story (written last year) has shades of purgatory throughout. There's this big section all about Calla Lillies and fuchsias, so without trying I gave a shout out to two purgies! We rule!
http://www.thewritingdisorder.com/fictiontwo.html
This is a big step for me to share. I normally shrink and hide in a corner but y'all have given me some confidence...some. Just don't look at my picture. Not that confident yet. :]

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Noompsy!

Don't be mad--I looked at the picture. I wasn't trying to, honest!

Maryn, guilty

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Noompsy! Very evocative and creepy. If you don't want people to see your photo, they need to put it at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.