• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Mishell

That Clarion chick!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mishellbaker.wordpress.com
From what I understand, 6-8 weeks is perfectly normal. And this honestly doesn't surprise me. It takes me almost that long to read a book just for pleasure, and I'm only reading ONE book at any given time, and I don't have to make a huge important decision about it. ;)

All flippancy aside, it isn't a bad sign if it's taking a long time. In fact, if you heard back in a few days that means they probably just realized on page 10 that you weren't for them.

Jazzwriterchick

Jazzwriterchick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newfaceofjazz.com
Hello from THE READER

Hey all,

Someone said my name was coming up here quite a bit...

Yes it takes 6-8, sometimes 10 weeks to get back, especially if I've personally spoken with you in regards to your MS and reading more than just the query.

Currently I have 800 queries in my box and 20 partial/full MSS to get through. And Agent S is so backed up, he isn't even looking at what I send to him for a while. Bleh.

But, we all march forward day. after. day.

Keep writing!

~C

PS: Sorry for the HUGE font size and no name. It's an automated thing that does that. IF we responded personally to everyone I would never have time to eat, sleep, or do various functions that keep me alive on a daily basis.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little confused at Molly's likes/dislikes list.

Dislikes: paranormal fantasy

What's the difference? Is this urban vs. high fantasy? Or fantasy that's not too fantasy-ish?

paralus

Registered
Reaction score
Roly,

My understanding is that reality-based fantasy is a story that's set in the real world, with only one fantastic element. Example: the book Before I Fall (girl dies in a car crash, keeps reliving the last day of her life).

Paranormal fantasy is also set in the real world, but involves several fantastic elements, including non-human characters (vampires, fairies, etc.).

Make sense? :)

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Roly,

I suspect you are writing paranormal. The current book I'm querying has an overweight male protag at a magical fat camp. There are tree nymphs and sasquatch and such in it, so I doubt Molly would be interested. When I query Folio, I plan on querying Emily. She might be the best bet for you too.

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Yes it takes 6-8, sometimes 10 weeks to get back, especially if I've personally spoken with you in regards to your MS and reading more than just the query.

Currently I have 800 queries in my box and 20 partial/full MSS to get through. And Agent S is so backed up, he isn't even looking at what I send to him for a while. Bleh.

Keep writing!

~C

PS: Sorry for the HUGE font size and no name. It's an automated thing that does that. IF we responded personally to everyone I would never have time to eat, sleep, or do various functions that keep me alive on a daily basis.

Hey, CJ. Thanks for posting here with your inside view. Glad Scott's silence is due to being busy - which, I hope, means he's making money even in this economy - instead of considering a career change.

I hear Wal-Mart is hiring.

Good luck handling all those queries. If there are any really bad ones, please feel free to remove identifying data and post them here. It'll go a long way to making AWers feel a lot better about their own writing.:tongue

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Keep writing!

~C

Ouch. And here I was complaining about my summer job in the library...lol. Glad to hear from you, thanks for dropping by! Just remember, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. (the light is a computer screen, opened up to your email account, filled with more queries. xP. Kidding. Sort of. lol.)

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Just heard back from Cicily. I'm going to be kicked up to Scott! (and will have to bite my nails for about another six weeks. lol.) Here's to hoping! Though she did say "after much consideration." I might just be reading too much into it but does that mean she went back and forth or something? Gah!

Last edited:

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Keep writing!

~C

Thanks for the update! I'll settle in for a long wait.

Mr. Anonymous, that's great news. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

MrKennedy

Registered
Reaction score
I've been sitting on pins and needles for the past 8/9 weeks or so waiting for a response to my first 50 pgs.

Sent a follow up the other day, but haven't heard anything back. The pins and needles are really starting to dig in (but seem to be great prep if I ever want to get a tattoo down there :idea:)

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Many congrats, Mr. Anon and a well done, too. :) Can I ask if you submitted directly to Scott or did you submit to someone else at Folio first? (I apologize if you've already said.)

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Beckstah and ronempress

Ronempress, I submitted directly to Scott. I'd had dealings with him before, when he requested and promptly (a couple hours after I sent it, lol) rejected my first novel. But the email was one of the nicest, most encouraging ones I received, and he was trying to tell me what at the time I didn't want to hear - that the first novel felt like a good trunk/practice novel. So when I finished my most recent project, he naturally came to mind. Haven't queried anyone else at folio, and hopefully, I won't have to (though I know its a long shot...)

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard back from Cicily. I'm going to be kicked up to Scott! (and will have to bite my nails for about another six weeks. lol.) Here's to hoping! Though she did say "after much consideration." I might just be reading too much into it but does that mean she went back and forth or something? Gah!

Best of luck! I'm not trying to discourage you but Cicily's post here suggests it'll be longer than 6 weeks. I've been waiting longer than for Scott's reply.

My advice: difficult though it is, put the submission out of your head and start working on your project. It's what's been sustaining me so far.

Meantime, fingers crossed. Here's hoping for good news.:partyguy:

Goldsoundz

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. A, congrats. That's awesome news. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. :)

hoyateach - will do. Already have one (okay, like fifteen is more like it) in mind.

MrKennedy

Registered
Reaction score
Wow...the fact that others seem to be getting super quick replies and responses (and congrats and best of luck to all of you on those, by the way) and it's now been about 10 weeks without any response (or a response to my status check) is really bumming me out...

Goldsoundz

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. K, try not to worry about it too much. You'll hear something when there's something to tell. Sounds like C has a lot on her plate at the moment. S too. Just relax. I'm almost at six weeks now, and I'm past the point of anxiously waiting. News usually comes when you least expect it. Keep your chin up.

MrKennedy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right Goldsoundz...I need to just start plugging away at the next thing. Thanks

Goldsoundz

Registered
Reaction score
I got the big R. And it was form. I honestly didn't think I'd get offered rep. on my first request, but I thought I'd at least get some kind of feedback. I was looking forward to that the most. Oh well. Good luck to all of you still waiting. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Goldsoundz, I'm so sorry! The first R on a sub really hurts, I know. Go send some more queries - even if it doesn't make you feel better, it at least makes you feel proactive.

connecto

Registered
Reaction score
Goldsoundz, just wanted to say that my first rejection was a form. I think I cried, no kidding, for three days straight. It sucked beyond words. But like so many things in life that can only be understood in retrospect, I am now grateful for that rejection. A few months later I got several offers of representation and feel with great certainty that I ended up with the agent who was perfect for me and who was able to give me just the right notes to improve my manuscript in the areas it needed. Not sure I would have been as open to those notes if I had not first experienced a brutal rejection. So sometimes what feels like a curse is really a blessing and I tell you my experience in the hopes that it might help to know how many have been through it. You don't want the agent who is wrong for your book no matter how great that agent may be!