XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hurray! I now have more people to stalk on Goodreads! I'm not on Goodreads much lately, mainly because I'm not finishing books very quickly during the school year.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm probably not a very interesting person to stalk on GoodReads. I am, as always, Not A Writer. I've been slowly cataloguing my bookshelves, and posting -- well, I hope they're pretty fair, but some are kind of snarky -- reviews. My GoodReads activities are about as boring as Sesame Street's Bert.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably not a very interesting person to stalk on GoodReads. I am, as always, Not A Writer. I've been slowly cataloguing my bookshelves, and posting -- well, I hope they're pretty fair, but some are kind of snarky -- reviews. My GoodReads activities are about as boring as Sesame Street's Bert.

I almost never write reviews; I've only done it once, I think. I let my rating for a book speak for that. As for cataloging my books, I am not even trying; there are too many. I just picked up at the point where I joined Goodreads, when I remember to do it.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
"He doesn't look a thing like Jesus, but he talks like a gentleman..."

Work is so stinking dull today. It's the paperwork equivalent of sweeping up. I've outlined two stories, a one-act play, and some fanfic for a show I've never seen. Le sigh.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com

You'll be hearing from Bert's lawyer.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
This is what I use goodreads for: I List all the books on my kindle and bookshelves that haven't been read. Then when I am done with a book and ready to start a new one, I peruse my books, and can see the covers and/or blurbs. For some reason, some of the out of copyright or books or pdf books I buy from other sights dn't have the damn author name listed in the kindle when they are changed to kindle format, and then you have to keep clicking on them to see who done writ them. You can also make lists or put them on "bookshelves" - for instance, by genre. So when I am ready for a gothic tale (and let's face it - when am I NOT ready for a gothic tale?), I can check what is on my gothic shelf. Of course, I haven't done that yet, but I am going to. There are also people who make lists of things. Suppose you find a book you want, and there will be a note on its page: #thusandsuch on "the 100 most bestest chillingest gothicfullness evers" and then you go look at that list. Got it. Got it. Read it. Got it. OOOH! Haven't heard of it! and then you wind up with hundreds of hard to find old books to read.

Ah, goodreads. I Luv you so.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I pick my books almost exclusively from recommendations from other people. The people I know, here and in Teh Real World, know my tastes, and know what a book junkie I am. They're all the time telling me, "You gotta try this book." The only other place I look for books are sites like Goodreads, TV Tropes, here on AW, places where I can learn what the books are about, does it contain elements that I would like, etc.

I don't have a huge budget for books. I can't afford to buy a book blind, and hope it's what I want. Recommendations are vital.

Did I ever tell the story of how I heard about Jim Butcher and the Dresden Files? It's a strange little story, and, believe it or not, fairly typical of my experience with this sort of thing.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I don't have my books with me anymore, I've been using goodreads just to remember everything I've read, kinda fun little thing to play with, haven't done much on it though (as usual lol)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm on GoodReads. Mostly, I use it to keep track of what I've read... I do like to try to read 50 books a year, and it's a good a place as any to keep track of what I've read.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
we had homemade veggie soup, courtesy of my Mr. Junely, who's a much better cook than me.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I had Chipotle. I always take Chipotle too far. :(

Well they make those things so gosh darn big you feel like you have to eat it all.

I've only manged it once and that was only because I was pregnant and hadn't eaten much the whole day.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever had Cold Stone ice cream? After dinner I had a nice scoop of cheesecake with graham cracker bits, straweberries and blueberries in a waffle bowl. Soooooo good. :D

I have seen them but never stopped at one. I may have to remedy this. :D

Well they make those things so gosh darn big you feel like you have to eat it all.

I've only manged it once and that was only because I was pregnant and hadn't eaten much the whole day.

Oh I've managed. Many times. But I only get half the rice and the bowl--not the burrito. Tonight I didn't even manage the whole thing and I'm still way too full. :(

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I think I need someone to come dart me with a tranquilizer gun before I go completely face-eating-chimp on someone. Not only have I put in a ridiculous number of hours at work this week while on *vacation* because of the f*ckage caused by one idiot -- I even had to come up with a babysitter for the twins so I could go in the office and fix stuff in person this afternoon -- I just finished putting in a total of NINE HOURS doing work today and then almost immediately got into an argument with some stupid, bigoted, intolerant a**hole on facebook about religion. Aaaaaaauuuuuugh!:rant:

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
:Hug2: Zanzjan. The work thing sounds like a major PITA. It's awful when you have to cover for other's stupidity. :( Especially during your holiday!

I have a policy of no Religion/Politics talk policy (for the most part) on Facebook. I'm friends with too many folks on either side of the spectrum and my wall always turns into a battleground.

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Zanzjan. The work thing sounds like a major PITA. It's awful when you have to cover for other's stupidity. :( Especially during your holiday!

I have a policy of no Religion/Politic talk policy (for the most part) on Facebook. I'm friends with too many folks on either side of the spectrum and my wall always turns into a battleground.

QFT! Same here, no politics EVER and religion only under the most controlled circumstances.

ETA: new avvie. I needed a change, and was feeling very Looking Glass.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
QFT! Same here, no politics EVER and religion only under the most controlled circumstances.

In my defense, it wasn't a conversation I initiated, nor did I expect it to go anywhere near as downhill, anywhere near as fast, as it did. )-: I just sort of tend to assume everyone's a decent, tolerant, thinking person, and it catches me by surprise (badly) each and every time someone proves otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.