• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[ePub] eXcessica / Fido Publishing

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I've got two pen names (one for 'real world' historicals and contemporaries and one for my space ops and other speculative fiction), and I'm creating another one for my more erotic stuff, like the shorts I intend to send to Excessica. That persona will have her own website also, but like my other pen names, there will be links to my other personas for those who wish to follow.

If a publisher asked me to take down mention of eXcessica on my websites, not created or dependent on them, I'd ask to see where it states such an obligation in my contract. It doesn't, so I would politely refuse.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
My agent would probably not allow such a clause in my contract. If it was with one of the Big Five romance or sci-fi imprints, and worth a large advance, we might discuss whether to de-link my fan fiction or not. Some authors do, some don't. It's been worthwhile promotion in my case.

But for a publisher around Noble's level, even at its biggest? Not likely to happen.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
In total agreement with you, Filigree. In my credit history and bio, I list all publisher's and dates. That's my record, no matter who it is. It shows a general timeline/incline from the early days (mediocre) not-so-great houses, to the current and more acceptable publishers. I would, perhaps, leave off any vanity or notorious pub mill that would be recognizable in the media as a very bad or embarrassing credit.

tri

MandyHarbin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mandyharbin.com
Just to be clear, I've never been asked to remove info from my website. It only pertains to bios that publishers release on "their" website or with the books they release. I can understand not wanting to promote another publisher within the work they do for me, so I respect those decisions...but I've never been asked to remove mention of anything off my website, social media, etc...

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know if you have to use eXcessica's cover artist if you're accepted or if you can supply your own? I have a few covers I'm thinking of purchasing for my stories which I'd like to use even if eXcessica reject them. The artist won't 'hold' them for me and I really like them.

Thanks.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
My novella

I sub'ed my novella, Emily's Other Face to them on 4/11 and got an offer for a contract today. The only thing that bothered me was how many of their books are erotica. I just have a problem with detailed sex. There is some romantic scenes in my story, but I leave some to the imagination. It's not easy placing short stories or even novella's so I think this will work out for me.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around how incest between consenting adults portrayed in prose is just as bad as real-life incest. Can someone please explain that one to me?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I must have missed where that was said? It is just one of two areas thought to be vulnerable to prosecution under the current US "obscenity" law.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I won't attribute them directly, but I have had in the past ten years two fairly-visible members of RWA (Romance Writers of America) explain this to me and others attending a panel discussion. The stipulation shows up on many romance e-publishers' guidelines: no incest. They may make exception for distant relatives, but nothing closer than second cousins (usually).

I have heard members of social-justice groups claim that fictionalized incest/rape/violence/etc. is as bad as the real thing in that it supposedly desensitizes readers - and can be used by the unscrupulous to desensitize potential victims of sexual assault and emotional abuse.

Personally, I think that's a little too close to the equally-suspect idea of thought crimes being 'as bad' as physical crimes, or that homosexuality = pedophilia.

ETA: while the erotic romance publishers have been covering all vulnerabilities with such guidelines, the science fiction and fantasy genre has pretty much ignored them for the last, oh, forty years. So has the horror genre.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well that is a reference, with non-approval, to the fact that there are people who make that claim. There are people who make the same claim about books showing violence, magic, swearing, or just about anything. But I doubt anyone here could easily explain that position.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
That's really bizarre, but good to know in case I ever want to try writing romance/erotica.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Just pay close attention to each publisher's individual guidelines. In their defense, they mostly know what they can get away with, and what their readership wants vs. what their readership will tolerate.

For examples of guidelines/reality getting so far out of sync that it might as well not matter, consider Sherrilyn Kenyon's ACHERON and STYXX, books of her 'Dark Hunter' paranormal series that are almost more child-rape and character torture than romances. And yet, very, very popular moneymakers, while Kenyon is often considered to be one of the founders of modern paranormal romance and urban fantasy.

Last edited:

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
exessica

My novella, Emily's Other Face will be out tomorrow, June 6th. So far I found this company easy to work with. they answer all questions in a timely manner and offer to help in any way they can. It's a co-op which is not new. they don't charge anything to publish, you only need to do your own editing,(which they said they check) and your cover. I love doing the cover because I'm also an artist who paints in oils, so this is fun for me. After so many disappointments with agents and publishers, I thought I'd give this a try. They have a sister company, Fido publishing wher a lot of my work will go because I don't care for exotica. They have a NYT best seller there and most of their books are doing pretty good.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

Wow! I hope your book does well and you are happy at Excessica! I'm still considering them for an erotic novella I'm writing--if I ever finish it! Too much going on at the moment.
Just a question, but it seems from your post that you're not sure whether they did any editing. Or am I mis-interpreting? I know the author is supposed to produce the best editing they can, but I thought Excessica would also do a pass, send it to author for correction etc. and only then publish. I'm a bit confused.

All the best with your book!

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
editing

they said they would do a line edit, also if there is changes they would send it back to the author for corrections. I didn't get anything back so I guess mine was good to go.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Murder Me Twice

Just had another novel out by Fido Publishing, a sister company to Excessica, Murder Me Twice. So far I have no complaints, but it's a little soon to say. I've learned how to format my MS for e-book. They have you do it yourself. It's a little work, but I was happy to know how. I'd still like to get another agent and move on to a larger pub, but this is a means in which to get your work out there.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Just had another novel out by Fido Publishing, a sister company to Excessica, Murder Me Twice. So far I have no complaints, but it's a little soon to say. I've learned how to format my MS for e-book. They have you do it yourself. It's a little work, but I was happy to know how. I'd still like to get another agent and move on to a larger pub, but this is a means in which to get your work out there.

If I may ask... what do they do that you couldn't do for yourself by self-publishing? If you did your own editing and had to do the formatting... what did they actually DO for you?

Thanks!

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Fido

They place the book in many online stores, send it out for reviews and do some promoting. They also will put it in print and you can buy them at a discount. They only take ten percent. Fido also offers traditional publishing if you want. This is my understanding.

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed a short story to eXcessica and didn't receive an automated response thingy! Does anybody know if they respond with one of those at some point, or should I submit again? It's Christmas and all that so I'm wondering if I should wait on a follow-up e-mail to them asking if they received it. Thanks!

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I've had several short stories and novels out with Fido now and my royalties are not bad for a co-op company. I find it nice to have my work the way I want it and not suffer at the hands of an editor wanting to rewrite it. I also like making my own covers. Hasn't been too bad there. I've gotten four and five star reviews for all of my books, not from family an friends either, so I must be doing something right. They send your work out to reviewers and I also send some out.