Microsteps (I'm new here)

Joiflgrl

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings....ALL.

Truth: I have been reading and browsing AW for sometime now and the self-doubt got the best of me...so many witty, honest, talented writers out there. Although the perks of procrastination are undeniable (like a clean and de-cluttered living room and an alphabetized spice shelf in my kitchen), I am going to stop staring at this empty box and go for it:

[gulp]

I am a newbie. New to this site. New to putting myself out there for honest feedback (not the cushy, friends and family-type feedback). I am a stay-at-home parent with two amazing little people and I make time to write because when I don't, I feel lost. I fell in love with writing in sixth grade. I recently saw my sixth grade teacher her first question after hugging me was, "So, did you write that novel yet?" Her second question was, "Why not?"

I look forward to participating in this community and to the process of learning together with all of you. I apologize for being long-winded, and thank you for reading this.

Joiflgrl

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

AlisonD

Registered
Reaction score
Not long winded at all. And I see a lot of myself in your description. Although my little people are now teenagers and I spent about 10 years making glass beads. We all have our paths and your (and mine) took us here. :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joi, welcome! Good for that sixth grade teacher. :)

Robust Rebel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I agree, not long-winded at all. Sincerity is a quality, and I'm glad you decided to stop dipping your toes in the water and took the plunge.

The fright and doubt likely stems from writing as a deeply personal act. Your greatest strength is who you are, because there will be no other like you. I look forward to hearing you roar---let the world know you're in it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

DanielS

Skrbz
Registered
Reaction score
I can relate to a lot of what you said (I just joined and faced self doubt and procrastination). Hope to see you among the forum!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Sit down and write that novel. AW is a great place, but it can be a tool for procrastination.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joi!

Welcome (back) to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the
FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.
and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips!

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Posting your writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area is explained here. This link covers the most common problems posts. found in SYW *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun AW social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Joiflgrl

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for taking the time to welcome me. I feel encouraged and excited. Stepping AWAY from the spice cabinet and towards my project.

(Actually, I am sitting on the bathroom floor next to the tub where my sick 3-year-old is enjoying her 2nd bubble bath today...gotta love the stomach bug)

Joiflgrl

Registered
Reaction score
SYW question:

I really don't want to be the Newbie who asks a question that can be found in all of the places listed above, but I have looked through FAQ's and Newbie info and while it is entirely possible that while staring right at it, I didn't "see" the answer to this question, I am not sure:

How can I read and comment on others' work? Is this something that only members with 50+posts may participate in or am I just too sleep deprived to figure this out (even tried doing a few searches)?

CourtneyC

Lagrange Point
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Joiflgrl. I like the cut of your jib.

I'm an old lurker that finally decided to start posting. It is a lot of fun, and a grand community to be a part of. :)

John Olexa

Registered
Reaction score
How can I read and comment on others' work? Is this something that only members with 50+posts may participate in or am I just too sleep deprived to figure this out (even tried doing a few searches)?

Welcome from MD. This was a reply in my new members thread post.

"Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need 50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,critique other members’ works, or join a discussion."

CourtneyC

Lagrange Point
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful, that stomach bug is CONTAGIOUS!

You must be logged in to find the SYW (Share Your Work) thread about 3/4-ths of the way down the main page. Once you can see it, click it, and you will be asked for a password. that password is on the main page under the SYW title and is bolded. You don't have to have 50 posts to comment on other people's work...only to post in SYW yourself. You are encouraged to critique other's work. They need the feedback and you need the practice (it helps you see problems in your own work).

So, jump in!

pensmith

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Joiflgrl!

Hello,

I'm also new.:) Nice to meet you!

pensmith