XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
In all my time at AW, I have never put someone else's quote in my sig before (despite the recent proliferation of such things).

But I am sorely, sorely tempted with this one.

:D

You should do it. :)

Well, Jesus didn't have to put up with Lent, either, seeing he was Jewish.

:D

And this made me :roll: because me preggo brain is off being pregnant or something.

Plus, I just looked up capybara and now I want one for a pet. They look cute! :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
That earns a minimum of ten points in some circles ;)

Thanks for the support everyone (both here and in reps). After four and a bit years in AW and three and a half thousand posts, it's not happened to me before.

It was past my bedtime (after dozing off mid-evening) and I've now slept and got up again. I do stand by what I said - I'm currently reading an SF novel which is up for the BSFA Award which is way overlong and that's not the only reason why I'm. Not. Getting.On.With.It. (Is there a gritted-teeth smiley?)

I'll name and shame - it's Adam Roberts's By Light Alone. I'll vent about it in the "What Are You Reading?" thread when I get a moment. I've got China Miéville's Embassytown up next, and even a fan of his (who fancies the pants off him) told me his writing can get self-indulgent.

I've read one other novel by both writers - Roberts's Yellow Blue Tibia and Miéville's The City & The City - when both were up for the 2010 BSFA (Miéville won). Both novels I found not uninteresting but failed to blow me away and wore out their welcome for me. I remember comments that City was a "short" Miéville novel - it's still 103,000 words.

Anyway, back to much procrastinated-against review and the dayjob in three hours' time. Sleep well, American branch of the Cantina, and hope the Antipodean chapter is having a good evening.

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone (both here and in reps). After four and a bit years in AW and three and a half thousand posts, it's not happened to me before.

Wait wait wait. I went back and read the posts in the other thread about novel length (no, that's not stalker-y at all, I swear; I was just curious!). Somebody jumped on you for that? Hell, I was expected arterial spray or something. This was just a dissenting opinion, presented firmly but without unnecessary bloodshed.

I no understandz.

I agree with your argument over there. I've been avoiding reading Jonathan Strange for this very reason. I like the concept of the book. But I look at 1) the length, and 2) the language and go, "Oh, jeez, is the story worth wading through all this?"

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I did notice how SP made it personal by offering to list her own books under 90k. But I think people know what I meant by "major publishers" - in our particular genres in the UK it's five or six big names which are all owned by multinational companies.

Ebook publishing is another matter entirely, and I stress that I have nothing against it, indeed have friends who have or have had ebook-only publishing deals. And of course you have more opportunities to publish shorter work there.

As I said over there, I have read some very long novels, Jonathan Strange among them. GRRM's A Storm of Swords and Mary Gentle's Ash kept me going through long-haul flights and they are respectively 425k and (my estimate) 450k. I enjoyed all of them.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I did notice how SP made it personal by offering to list her own books under 90k. But I think people know what I meant by "major publishers" - in our particular genres in the UK it's five or six big names which are all owned by multinational companies.

Ebook publishing is another matter entirely, and I stress that I have nothing against it, indeed have friends who have or have had ebook-only publishing deals. And of course you have more opportunities to publish shorter work there.

As I said over there, I have read some very long novels, Jonathan Strange among them. GRRM's A Storm of Swords and Mary Gentle's Ash kept me going through long-haul flights and they are respectively 425k and (my estimate) 450k. I enjoyed all of them.

E-pub or traditional, Big Six or indie, short, long, very long, o-dear-god-it-has-its-own-gravity-well long, it comes down to, "Is it a good story?" I've read good ones, both long and short. I've read bad. When they're terrific, I don't even notice the length. When they're bad, I can't NOT notice the length.

I hate reading a book that's terrific, and getting to the end and going, "Wait, where's the rest of it?" I also REALLY hate getting two-thirds of the way through a book and going, "Please, God, is it ever going to end?"

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eye- try this guy- :gaah

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Good morning cantinas :Sun:

I'm just making the tea.

Calling all demotivated and unwriting folk. Is anyone up for some ninja writing this afternoon - my time? I'll be around at about 2:30 (world clock here, I live in the UK) for about an hour or so for definite.

I'll post how many words I do if anyone wants a challenge of trying to beat it.

I need to read the last three chapters of my current book as well so I can take it back when the Feb reading book comes available in the library.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I've even a rep from someone I don't remember posting in here. We obviously have some lurkers here - hi there! Hope you enjoy the show.

Off to the dayjob now.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning cantinas :Sun:
Calling all demotivated and unwriting folk. Is anyone up for some ninja writing this afternoon - my time? I'll be around at about 2:30 (world clock here, I live in the UK) for about an hour or so for definite.

I'll post how many words I do if anyone wants a challenge of trying to beat it.

That's about 9:30 Eastern Standard, right? I hate time zones.

I'm not all that unmotivated, but can I play anyway? Ninja writing is fun.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We should make a relative crazy list to see which of us is the maddest hatter by popular vote. 10 gets most self delusional ;)

That is just... mean. :e2cry: Et tu, Fens? Et tu?!

I'll be around for that :) Yay!

Morning, peeps. Starting the Week of Doom today. Wrote some yesterday. EvilPants is finally getting somewhere again.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Guys there is officially too much going on. In here and in real life. *flails wildly*

So I came into work today with a list of things to get done in the morning. Then something else landed on my lap (a press release that needs to get written and sent TODAY, right NOW) so everything is on hold until that's done. Just chucked it together now and sent it to people for approval.

Hectic job is hectic.

*waves at new people*

Howdy all. I am the official and best Psycho, also known as Pony Mac, AND NO OTHER NICKNAMES *glares pointedly at 10s*

I also REALLY hate getting two-thirds of the way through a book and going, "Please, God, is it ever going to end?"

That's the time to start skimming. I have a very short attention span so if things don't grab me I tend to give up and move on. Except now that I'm reading for research I can't really do that - I have to force myself through things more than I would if I were reading purely for pleasure.

Morning folks. Whut up?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Guys there is officially too much going on. In here and in real life. *flails wildly*

Do they make a decaffeinated tea? You should find out.

Howdy all. I am the official and best Psycho, also known as Pony Mac, AND NO OTHER NICKNAMES *glares pointedly at 10s*
I always want to call you "Fati" but in my accent that comes out "Fatty" or "Farty" and that's just rude.

That's the time to start skimming. I have a very short attention span so if things don't grab me I tend to give up and move on. Except now that I'm reading for research I can't really do that - I have to force myself through things more than I would if I were reading purely for pleasure.
I feel like such a slut when I skim. "Hi, I'm a big ho. I'm not in this book to have fun, i'm just here to make my quota and move on to the next big piece of... " Well, I'll leave it there.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
But... but... how would I function without the caffeine? :e2cry:

I always want to call you "Fati" but in my accent that comes out "Fatty" or "Farty" and that's just rude.
Well you can call me that if you want... It's better than 10s Nickname-That-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned...

And I have to go to a training session that lasts most of the afternoon. The joy. It overwhelms me. Ugh.

Oh well, nearly time for lunch :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Hello, AW people.

How is everyone doing tonight?

Hi there Joey :welcome:

Pull up a chair, sit a spell.
Whenever I see you write this I always wonder which meaning of the word 'spell' you really mean. ;)

That's about 9:30 Eastern Standard, right? I hate time zones.

I'm not all that unmotivated, but can I play anyway? Ninja writing is fun.
I have no idea, it's about three hours from the time of this message. I hate time zones too. And of course, you can join in, the more the merrier :e2drunk: Er, no, not that kind of merry.

I thought if I could get something going on a regular basis then anyone could call in when they needed it as our motivation levels go up and down. I know I joined AW to get this kind of writing group feel so I decided that as you only get out what you put in I'd do something. Ooops, waffle mode.

I'll be around for that :) Yay!

Morning, peeps. Starting the Week of Doom today. Wrote some yesterday. EvilPants is finally getting somewhere again.

Great. Er, week of doom? evilpants? Do I want to know. Sounds like some sort of US bad fashion week.

Passes Kermit hands *wonders if Kermit had hands*

But you are the sarcasm fairy. Or is that not a nickname?

Decaff tea in this country is awful.

I have had a good morning topped off when I went into the charity shop to get part 1 of Dark Tower for £1.99. They had an offer on - 3 books for a £1 and I found parts 3 & 4 as well. I was only going to get no.1 as they have 2 to 7 in the library (No, I don't know either). Result!

Right, lunch time and then do chores before mad ninja writing session. See you in a couple of hours.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great. Er, week of doom? evilpants? Do I want to know. Sounds like some sort of US bad fashion week.

You know not of the wonder that is EvilPants? :eek:

EvilPants is my MC :D

It's not his actual name, but I usually refer to him as EvilPants, to the point where I once wrote 1500 words of "Lord EvilPants" until I realized that no, that was in fact not his name and I had to do a find and replace.

Week of Doom refers to my week stuffed to the brim with doctor's appointments, Big New Client Meetings, council meetings and party meetins. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.