• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Talcott Notch Literary Services

Kyrah Malan

Re: Talcott Notch Literary

Gina, thank you for giving us your perspective; it certainly makes for a more balanced thread. I think the bigger question that came up is not whether Talcott Notch is an honest agency, because everyone agrees that it IS, but whether your agency is actively selling to the big houses. Would you be willing to list titles you've sold to the big publishing houses in the last 12 months? A definite X was sold to Y, Z was sold to D, would put the whole matter to rest once and for all. Again, thank you for your participation.

CaoPaux

I am solicited daily by editors at major publishing houses for projects I represent.
The MPHs solicit you daily for mss, but you don't sell to them. Why?

gpanettieri

Re: Talcott Notch

Regarding whether or not I, or any other agent, requests a manuscript, that's a completely meaningless comparison. I have been extremely selective about what I'm taking time to look at lately, and am only requesting a very few projects. Agents work in different areas, and have different likes and dislikes. Just as I've taken on, and sold, a couple of projects other agencies turned down, I've seen a number of projects I've either seen and rejected or couldn't agree to look at picked up by other agencies, though I don't have any feedback on whether those eventually placed. All agencies, and agents, have specific tastes. We don't all agree, in fact, we usually disagree. Put seven agents in a room and you'll get eight opinions.

I do work, as most agents do, with indies and smaller presses in addition to larger ones. That's because I'm willing to take risks and work with very speculative fiction and cutting edge material the largest publishers may shy away from, at least, at first. But with many fantasy, sci fi and alternative fiction, I would certainly consider that type of risk-taking to be a positive in an agent. How many writers of this type of work have been told their work isn't commercial enough? However, I must admit, the terms I've been getting placing these works as lead titles or series at these smaller or indie publishers surpasses the terms most first timers are getting as mid-list debuts at larger houses. They also get more attention, and have more chance to grow.

However, as with most things, as I've been growing and getting back into the industry over the last year, the types of work I've been getting in also changes and grows. And as that has happened, it's been more the larger and more commercial publishers who've been calling to solicit the projects. So, our agency focus has been shifting, as well. But we will never abandon the writers of cutting edge fiction. Some one needs to help them get started and make their name.

gpanettieri

Actually, as I'd recently posted, our shift has begun to change as the types of materials we're taking on and representing has begun to shift. This shift has happened over the last six weeks to two months as we opened up more to new work (we'd been considering very few projects while we were in the process of moving our offices to our new location closer to the City). We've also been blessed with having a number of well-known authors sign on with us in the last month. However, as most writers realize and agents have been commenting, the purchase process isn't nearly as rapid as it was fifteen years ago when I first started working in publishing. Things are done by committee. So, when an editor calls to ask for a project, you can still expect to wait weeks for a response, particularly if that answer is an offer. Sales projections need to be made, second reads and committee reads done, the list goes on, all before anything can happen.

I do post sales that I update periodically on my PublishersMarketplace web page, as well as our offerings, and will continue to do so.

Kyrah Malan

Does this mean TN has made no actual sales to BPHs in the last 12 months? That there are only projects being considered? Would you be willing to list titles sold to BPHs since its inception? I am sure your explanation of the lengthy process is accurate, but it doesn't address the question(s).

gpanettieri

Kyrah, you're correct. As of right now, today, the only sale in the last year which has been finalized and contracts delivered from a major house has been to Krause, which is F&W. The types of works I've seen and signed have been more appropriate to other publishers. So, that is where I placed them, and very favorably.

Think of it in terms of statistics. While I was in temporary quarters, I was agreeing to consider very few projects, knowing the complexity of the move ahead. Agents typically take on 1-2% of works they consider. So, how many projects would I be able to anticipate signing and selling? I've seen on another forum that most agents are selling only 5% of the works they sign. At that rate, I wouldn't have sold anything. Thankfully, my sales average is running extremely high. Now that I've relocated as of two months ago, I've finally really been able to work to establish myself again and begin to expand my offerings.

gpanettieri

I just wanted to add, since this is taking up a great deal of time that I need to work on, well, work, and I can't continue to debate issues, that the projects I'd taken on up until recently have been sold where they are best suited. Highly speculative science fiction and fantasy is often best-suited to indie and smaller publishers willing to break new ground and take chances. These works appealed to me, but were not suited to large commercial houses heavily invested in safe choices. Working outside the City, I am not as enslaved to overhead as to have to reject these types of projects in favor of only pursuing the commercial. I sign what I personally love, and I sell it to the publisher who will do the most, and best for it. And the terms I have gotten from those indies and smaller houses to place a project or series there as a lead, have been better than what a midlist debut would usually bring from a larger house, and with more personal attention for the author and more chance for growth.

Regarding one person's comment that the acid test of an agent is placing books in houses where agents are required, I suggest the acid test of an agent is getting a book sold where others were afraid to take the chance, but I got the job done.

Kyrah Malan

Thank you, Gina. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to our questions.

Now, all you lurkers can laugh your butts off at me :rofl for totally blowing my chances with Talcott Notch by being so pushy, but at least (I believe) that our concerns have been addressed and the whole matter can finally be "put to bed".

CaoPaux

Highly speculative science fiction and fantasy is often best-suited to indie and smaller publishers willing to break new ground and take chances.
:rollin

You're right, Kyrah. She has now made it quite clear what sort of agent she is.

DaveKuzminski

In my post above, I believe that I posed both a statement about my knowledge on the matter of restitution and a hope. Nothing more.

Since I have received an email about this as was also mentioned in a later post, I will answer here to avoid any appearances of conflict or favoritism on my part that might be caused by answering Gina privately.

To put it bluntly, I accept Gina's word that she has given restitution and does not owe any writers from those past events. Her remarks here and in her email to me are sufficient. After all, if she's not telling the truth, she'd be sinking her career for good because anyone who is owed would certainly contact me and offer proof.

Wandering Sensei

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Talcott Notch

Is this agency still in business? By Gina's request, I sent her a full manuscript back in September. She e-mailed that she should be able to get back to me by the end of October. That was the last I head, and that was several months ago. Well, obviously I've been rejected, but I'm really pretty ticked off that she didn't have the grace to even return the manuscript. Postage is not free.

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
Talcott Noth

I had sent my manuscript, per Gina'a reuest, last spring. I followed up a few months later to chck on the status and I got a reply from people other than her. Then all of a sudden, I get a rejection e-mail from some person and another rejection by mail from the agent.
Obviously it's fairly normal to have assistants and whatnot, but this was as though everyone there, but the agent, had read the mss. Yet the agent wrote a letter of why she was rejecting the mss.
She was very nice, but it was odd.

Jerry

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I tried to do a search, but this was the only thread that came up. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the older threads to come up? I tried both "Talcott" and "Talcott Notch" in my search string.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Coffee breaks have their uses. :Coffee:

Last edited:

AgentGina

Registered
Reaction score
Email for status updates on manuscripts

Sensei, my apologies if we haven't responded on your work, or returned it. Please email us for an update and note your email as urgent, directly to my personal email address [email protected]. We definitely understand the expense of producing manuscript copies and want to make certain anyone who has provided SASE gets their mss back. When inquiring about submissions, please indicate your name, the title and the approximate date of submission. We try to respond on all work within eight weeks, but never hesitate to request a status update.

My apologies to anyone we're late getting back to. We've been flooded with queries and email inquiries, and though we try to get to every one of them, often it's a challenge. We're at that rather pinched phase of business growth where we desperately need additional personnel to cover the work load, but I can't take time out to train an extra person. We're now currently severely limiting new submissions until we're back at the response time I feel comfortable with.

So, in answer to your question, yes, we're still in business. The newest client referred to in the earlier post is probably attorney Brette Sember, for whom we've placed Your Plus-Size Pregnancy to Barricade Books and a two-book deal for Gay Divorce and Gay Parenting with Career Press.

Again, our apologies for any late responses. If you do not hear within the anticipated time, please drop us an email, mark it urgent mss inquiry in the subject line, and we'll try to get back with the status immediately.

Gina Panettieri
Talcott Notch Literary
276 Forest Road
Milford, Connecticut 06460
203-877-1146

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Talcott Notch Gina Panettieri

Just a *ping* to test if a new post will make this visible to the search engine.

ETA: Duh! How 'bout I add some key words, like Talcott Notch and Gina Panettieri. :Headbang:

Last edited:

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I researched both Talcott Notch and Gina Panettieri thoroughly before querying them. I discovered that most of the complaints about them were based upon innuendo and half-truths, and that the "evidence" for either wrongdoing or unprofessional behavior added up to exactly zero.

Gina's own comments on this and other forums seem perfectly forthcoming and reasonable, probably much more so than mine would have been had I ever found myself iin a similar situation.

With all of this in mind, I sent my most recent query to Talcott Notch, with no reservations at all. I haven't heard back from them yet, but whatever the outcome, I don't doubt that I'm dealing with a professional agency.