How'd You Find This Site?

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
I actually came here first thanks to my father, who is not a writer at all. I was having issues with a publisher, I talked to him about it, and then he did what he does best -- Google. He found this place and suggested I check it out.

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
my parents bought me this Writer's Digest Guide thing for 2010, and it had a whole list of helpful websites for aspiring writers. this was one of them. when i first joined, i started posting, but then got really busy with school, and took a bit of a leave. then after graduation, i get really stressed with working multiple jobs and gathering up money for my eventual move to california.

but now i'm finally rested, and while i do have work, i now have some more free time to get on this site, and to really focus on my writing. but yeah, i found this site a year ago through a magazine. and i'm very pleased i did.

joshsandersmusic

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Mine was under pretty sad circumstances. I have been rejected by 40 literary agents and I became desperate for feedback on what I was doing wrong ith my query. I posted my query on yahoo answers and after many people told me my query was bad someone finaly took pity on me and pointd me to this site. specificly query letter hell.

Irene Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Mine was under pretty sad circumstances. I have been rejected by 40 literary agents and I became desperate for feedback on what I was doing wrong ith my query. I posted my query on yahoo answers and after many people told me my query was bad someone finaly took pity on me and pointd me to this site. specificly query letter hell.

Im sorry josh, that kinda sucks... but now your here and can get all the feedback you need. :)

ganges

Registered
Reaction score
Well this is new to me for sure. I found this site whilst searching for answers. I signed a contract with a literary agent, (one of the top recommended in UK) one year ago. She does not respond to any of my requests for conversation, approached no publishers, wants me to pay MORE money. Yes I fell into the trap, however this is after doing my homework. She also owns a publishing company. What does one do to assist other writers from falling into the same pit with this agency. I am not the only writer who has approached this agency with same results. Can anyone advise.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well this is new to me for sure. I found this site whilst searching for answers. I signed a contract with a literary agent, (one of the top recommended in UK) one year ago. She does not respond to any of my requests for conversation, approached no publishers, wants me to pay MORE money. Yes I fell into the trap, however this is after doing my homework. She also owns a publishing company. What does one do to assist other writers from falling into the same pit with this agency. I am not the only writer who has approached this agency with same results. Can anyone advise.

You can see if there is a thread in Bewares and Backgrounds regarding the agent. If not you can start one about your experience.

Also Writer Beware is a good place to contact

DanBrennan

Registered
Reaction score
Jeez I can't even remember how I found this site. I remember I kept seeing AW mentioned on all these blogs I followed and by writer friends I knew, but never knew what it stood for and was too embarrassed to ask. And I do remember when I DID eventually find the site, it still took me forever to figure out how to access the forums.

I'm so smart sometimes.

labcoat meerkat

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

This forum is pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks guys, for putting it together. Really.

I googled "query letter logline forum" and so here I am. And it's good.

I haven't posted a bio for lazy privacy reasons, but I don't wanna come across as a complete stranger either. So here goes.

I've had the training to become a stage actor you might not throw a tomato at. As for writing, I'm still learning.

Also, I'm a big fan of carne asada.

Jason E Thummel

Registered
Reaction score
Cindy Pon once mentioned that this was an excellent place to be. She was right. So I started lurking, one thing led to another, and now here I am.

aspiring great

Brains!
Registered
Reaction score
I also found this site by running into a block, mine concerning how to describe a character without making it sound cliche or like a dating profile.

Gem_Knight

Registered
Reaction score
boo

I remember vaguely seeing it a few times in various searches, but it wasn't until recently when I doubled up my efforts to find a Beta reader or two that I sat down and registered...

ActuallyStrange

Registered
Reaction score
Educated

I was looking up ways to become educated without college and your site popped up! :) Ubfortunately, I can't remember the link.

Ambitious

Where did you first hear about Absolute Write?(Merged with How'd You Find This Site)

I heard about it on Yahoo Answers; when I was about 16/17 I asked if there were any useful forums for people eager about getting work published. Must say, I'm glad I asked, AW is a lifesaver.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, AW is a lifesaver! I first heard about AW when I was "dogpiling" (I don't use Google) query letters. This ... "Absolute Write" kept popping up. What the HECK is this and why is it everywhere!? Fine. I'll click on it to see what it was. Wow. Oh, yeah.

AMLemons

Registered
Reaction score
An author on FB found out that Publish America had almost gotten me to publish with them. She got to me before they could sink their teeth into me, and directed me here!

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Found it when I was checking out Agents:)

SummerFinn

Registered
Reaction score
I was frustrated over trying to move from novel-writing to short-story-writing, and was googling for some tips on making the transition. A few of the threads from this board came up, and there was a lot of value in what was being said. :)