What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I reread Tangled by Carolyn Mackler yesterday/today. It's a fast read, and I like Mackler.

I desperately want a new book to read, but I no longer live near a decent library, and I can't buy myself new books this close to Christmas. I know I'll be getting a decent haul on Friday.

But Friday's still a long way from today....

What book on my shelf should I read again, now? Hmmm.... going to look. :D

PriyankaB

Literary Flibbertigibbet
Registered
Reaction score
I'm eagerly waiting to go back to the States so I can pick up Anna and the French Kiss!

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I'm reading Emily Horner's "A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend". Love love love it so far.

It bugs me a little that I feel like it's the eighth YA novel I've read lately with kooky pacifist liberal parents. But the writing is fantastic and much of the book, besides that, feels fresh.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished My M0st Excellent Year. It's a sweet story about three friends coming of age, a cute little deaf kid, and Julie Andrews. Of note one of the three MCs is a gay chinese-american guy, which I have seen approximately Never. It was really funny. The only weird thing is that all the teenagers in like 2004 are obsessed with various members of the Kennedy family, and really old musicals, instead of anything remotely contemporary, for no apparent reason. It still worked though, I guess. Just strange.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
About to settle on the couch with Divergent.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Just started Anna and the French Kiss. I've been saving this one for Christmas, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
the hour between by sebastian stuart.

set in a Christian Science boarding school in 1967, this guy has to accept that he's gay and meets a very Audrey Hepburn movie-star's kid named Katrina. it reminds me way too much of Breakfast at Tiffany's; I mean the first chapter is about this guy telling MC he's seen Katrina, for the first time in years, and they go back in time to the story.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Lips Touch Three Times = :heart:..... *sigh* de la semaine, for SURE.

Reading The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams now but might have to put it down since, you know, it's Xmas and all and the book is stressing. me. out.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Poison Garden by Sarah Singleton. It's maybe more of an MG than a YA...very original and atmospheric, with some really interesting characters. Unfortunately the MC is fairly passive and a lot of the novel is taken up with providing the backstory/unravelling the mythology. That said, I enjoyed reading it and found the imagery vivid and compelling.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Fall for Anything (blog review). One of (if not the) best YA contemp title I've read. Reading I am the Messenger today.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Adios, Nirvana by Conrad Wesselhoeft. The voice is pretty much driving me up a wall. It's a male POV but it's trying really hard to be edgy and 90s Curt Cobain-y (although it's not set in the 90s) and it's really way too much angst for me. Plus the plot isn't going very far and I'm having a hard time believing that someone would name their son Telemachus so it's got a lot going against it right now.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm halfway through The Sky Always Hears Me and The Hills Don't Mind, which DrummerGirl recommended -- loving it so far!

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
On a reading binge:

HANDCUFFS by Bethany Griffin
SINS OF THE FATHERS by Chris Lynch
YOU AGAINST ME by Jenny Downham
Some MG novels

a little sad that I didn't get BEATLE MEETS DESTINY for Christmas, but I'm going to buy it myself. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read The Death-Defying Pepper Roux over the holiday. I guess the author has won a lot of awards, but this book just felt like a mess to me. MC is a Mary-Sue, the plot meanders slowly from minimal plot point to minimal plot point, the whole thing is an idiot plot and relies on a deus ex machina. And it felt too kiddish for YA and too morbid for MG. It was a hard slog to the finish. There was an ambiguously gay cross-dressing pirate, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I usually stick to newer YA, but my mother's recently foisted of an ancient (like, this book is literally older than I am ) copy of Lisa Bright and Dark on me. I'd never heard of it, but I guess it's pretty well known?

PS Who wouldn't love a good ambiguously gay cross-dressing pirate or two?

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
The Absolute Value of -1 by Steve Brezenoff. Carolrhoda Lab hasn't failed me yet so I have high hopes for this one.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
My children have eaten everything in the house! It's funny that you never realize how much they can eat because they are at school during the day.A trip to Kroger is coming up.

I just found out that one of my fave would be agents is switching agencies and isn't accepting queries now. *Cries* I slaved over this beastly thing and really wanted to query her. Sigh. I can wait.

PriyankaB

Literary Flibbertigibbet
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Anna and the French Kiss two minutes ago. It was SO GOOD. I am in love!

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
I just finished Anna and the French Kiss two minutes ago. It was SO GOOD. I am in love!

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. And considering the amount of good things I've been hearing, the wait is killing me.

I'm currently reading Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Just past the prologue. This has been on my wishlist for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.