What do you do with your rejection slips/letters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli Hinze

Snuggler of Cats & Writer of Things
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
I'm currently reading Stephen King's On Writing, and in the book he talks about how he drove a nail into his wall and impaled through it every rejection slip he ever got. (Eventually he had to replace the nail with a spike. I don't even want to think about the hole in the wall that left!)

My rejection slips are simply in a drawer right now, but I'm considering doing the above.

What about you? What do you do with your rejection slips and letters? Burn them in a ritualistic attempt to appease the publishing gods? Stuff them in a drawer? I'm curious. :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just toss them. I kept them for a while, when I first started out. Mostly to show my family that I was doing something with the writing, but pulling them out just made me feel bad and like a failure to have a stack of any size. So I trashed them and discovered that I didn't miss them, I didn't want to look at them again. I didn't even think about them.

So, when they come now, I glance to confirm they are rejections, then into the garbage they go. Get whatever I'm submitting off to the next person on the list and keep the process going. I've seen too many personalized rejections over the years to think they mean anything and form letters are only better than silence.

I'm not a person who gets invigorated by such reminders, so I never understood how King was. I accept it, but I don't understand it. I think as long as you do what's right for you, when you discover what's right for you, all is good.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have a spreadsheet where I mark down passes. I also use Duotrope. There's a folder on my hard drive from The Great Agent Hunt. I haven't opened it in ages, but I'm anal-retentive about keeping copies of stuff. :tongue

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I keep one historical rejection but most of the others are e-rejections so i delete them. Unfortunately I have a small, icy spot in my heart for each and every agent and publisher that has ever rejected my stuff. I wish I were a nicer person but i am not. And if I am ever granted Super Villain status THEY WILL PAY-- Lex Luthor6!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to slightly know a woman who decoupaged them onto a folding screen which provided visual separation for her writing area from the rest of the room. I wanted to see it, or a photograph, but she left the critique group before that happened.

Now, of course, many rejections are digital. I'm not sure printing them out would be the same.

Maryn, who used to keep hers but later threw them all away once logged

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... the only ones I save are hand-written ones from notable publications. (Yep. Still send hard copies from time to time.) One complimentary rejection from the Paris Review was written on the back of the return envelope, as an afterthought. About a paragraph long :)

Eli Hinze

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
Now, of course, many rejections are digital. I'm not sure printing them out would be the same.

They don't feel quite the same to me, but I print them out anyways. It's weirdly neat to see them stack up. Granted, I'd enjoy having a pile of acceptances over a pile of rejections any day, but who wouldn't?

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
Mine are all email rejections, and I keep them all neatly stacked in my inbox mainly just because I started doing it four years ago when I got my first rejections and haven't really decided a good enough reason to delete them yet. The new ones that come in are saved out of habit. I don't plan on doing anything with them, but I suppose it is a form of motivation to keep them all.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have mine saved in an email file. I plan to print them out and shred them in the food processor. Then make little paper mache reject critters to paint and put on my desk. They can keep me company when I write. :)

I have plenty of rejections in my file, just have to get around to doing it.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Considering the OP already has two published novels, I'd say she's doing very well for herself and congrats!

As for rejections, all mine have been cyber-NO's, so I deleted them, those had a simple "No, thank you, it's not what we're looking for" (or words to that effect). I have saved a few (forgot how many) which had something constructive to say, and I must admit, their comments helped me make my works better and they were much appreciated.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've kept all mine in an accordion file -- the 281 agent rejections for my debut novel take up the lion's share of the space. Taken together, those slips of paper add up to visual proof of the necessity for persistance in this writing life. Not to mention hefty proof! I now need both hands to lift that sucker. ;)

I also keep an exhaustive log of all rejections and acceptances. Otherwise I'd be sure to torture editors by resubbing the same story over and over.

Eli Hinze

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
Considering the OP already has two published novels, I'd say she's doing very well for herself and congrats!

Well, self-published. I wanted to try it out and feel I made the right choice for those books in specific, but getting with a publishing house for other works is my goal. c;
But still, thank you! :)

Eli Hinze

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
I've kept all mine in an accordion file -- the 281 agent rejections for my debut novel take up the lion's share of the space. Taken together, those slips of paper add up to visual proof of the necessity for persistance in this writing life. Not to mention hefty proof! I now need both hands to lift that sucker. ;)

Goodness, that's impressive! I can't even imagine how I'd find that many people to submit to! :eek:

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
I digitize mine (so I can go back and check which comments/slips came from which mag about which story if I need to) then toss them, with a few exceptions.

There are some physical rejection slips I have kept and always will keep. I have a lengthy, type written rejection in which Dr. Schmidt tears my science apart that's a prized possession. I was like "Wow! He thought I was worth taking the time to tear my science apart." It's in my desk drawer somewhere ;).

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
I'm keeping all my e-rejections but threw away my paper ones. I'm already too much of a packrat, especially for paper and books. I don't look at the rejections so I don't really know why I keep them, but I do.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
I keep mine in a folder in my inbox. Haven't received any paper ones!

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Since I don't send out in paper form, my rejections are all email. I've been thinking of looking for one of those stores that sells miscellaneous shiny things like candles and jewelry and beads, and making a necklace of some kind where every bead represents a rejection. That way I turn them into something real that I can hold in my hand, and it'll hopefully look pretty at the same time.

Eli Hinze

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elihinze.wordpress.com
I've been thinking of looking for one of those stores that sells miscellaneous shiny things like candles and jewelry and beads, and making a necklace of some kind where every bead represents a rejection. That way I turn them into something real that I can hold in my hand, and it'll hopefully look pretty at the same time.

That's a very unique idea! Creative. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I used to keep them with a hard copy of the story, then I'd just write the name of the story and when I received the rejection on the back of each. I still have many of my rejection slips from when I first started. But since the advent of electronic submissions and rejections, I've sort of lost the habit of saving them. My first computer died and with it all the email rejections. My second computer died and with it all those email rejections. So I've lost about 15 years worth of email rejections. Which saddens me because I'm a hoarder.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Move to trash -> clear trash -> never happened. RIGHT? :D

I just note where I sent the queries so I don't do a faux pas and send it twice to one agent.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I put paper rejection letters in a folder and never look at them again. I save email rejections and never look at them again, either. However, for each project, I keep a list of all submissions and rejections, sometimes with a few words of explanation, so that I'll remember what interactions I had with a given agent or publisher. The information will be useful if I approach that person/organization again.

I have no interest in counting rejections or spending much time thinking about them, except to the extent they might help me improve my writing--and my querying and submission techniques.

Amy Jay

Registered
Reaction score
I am in love with this decoupaged writer's rejection screen! Maybe I'll have to go Pinterest up something to do with mine.

Mine are all electronic, but I don't delete them. I guess I like taking up a corner of ye olde internetes with my rejections.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I record the information and then delete them. I'd rather make space for the acceptances.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I've considered printing my e-rejections but never have gotten around to it. Probably not having a printer is part of it.

What I do with my e-rejects, however, is move them into a folder titled "keep going." Gives me a bit of hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.