Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my dog Leela was a puppy and I was still new at dog owenership, we encountered a neighbor puppy pug about her age off leash. Not knowing what Leela would do and being inexperience, I grabbed her collar, and the pug circled us. Well Leela tried to follow the pug and wrapped my hand in the collar. I ended up on my knee, fearing my hand would break when the collar opened releasing my hand. Now my puppy Leela was off leash, but instead of running off she sat in front of me and placed her paw on my lap as if asking if I was ok. I was fighting tears and my hand was bleeding. The pugs owner arrived and instead of asking if I was ok or needed anything, she proceeded to tell me how I should be taking care of my dog and walking my dog (use a chain instead of attaching the leash to the collar- which I do now but that was not the time). It was her dog that was off leash and causing a problem. I was not happy, and I think she caught on becuase she gathered up her pug, and for a few days after she would go in her house when she saw me coming with Leela.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People are asswipes. 'nuf said.

Maryn, sure on this

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say these old eyes can't make out the necessary detail on an image that size.

Maryn, whose dry eye is also kicking up today, just for fun

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Splish, splash, and roll my eyes at rude dog-owners.
I have a question for people of a certain age and time in grade in front of computers. Back in late 1982, could one use CompuServ to send email on a Commodore 64 pc? Both had just come out earlier that year and I can recall seeing one of those Commodores in the mid-80s. Its just whether they could handle email is evading me. I'm trying to set a short story in Seattle around then, microsoft is new and starbucks is newer and how the world is on the verge.
I know there is a board for research queries, but I thought I would toss this in the jacuzzi for starters and see what ppl recall. I didn't convert from the Luddite faith until the early 90s.
Trevor, still catching up

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trevor, I don't know--but I bet the regulars at the Tech board will. Alleycat and Medievalist and a few others are old enough to have been around and possibly already into computers at that time. I was working 60-hour weeks and reading my head off in '82 while Mr. Maryn was in law school and had little time for such luxuries as a wife.

Anybody got weekend plans? We will apparently be watching baseball, which is okay by me, although I care less than Mr. Maryn. He's cool with me half-watching and half goofing around online. We'll also do more painting in the Final Bathroom (which is not getting the make-over the others did, just cosmetics).

Maryn, watching it rain

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our friends are having a party on Sunday. And I am making a hat for a woman I know from work who is working as a missionary in Senegal and is visiting here and asked me for a hat when she saw me crocheting. She is leaving Sunday, so Saturday I'm going to meet up with her. And probably get an oil change (i.e. go to Starbucks and write). :)

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for people of a certain age and time in grade in front of computers. Back in late 1982, could one use CompuServ to send email on a Commodore 64 pc? Both had just come out earlier that year and I can recall seeing one of those Commodores in the mid-80s. Its just whether they could handle email is evading me. I'm trying to set a short story in Seattle around then, microsoft is new and starbucks is newer and how the world is on the verge.
I know there is a board for research queries, but I thought I would toss this in the jacuzzi for starters and see what ppl recall. I didn't convert from the Luddite faith until the early 90s.
Trevor, still catching up
Technically, email systems have existed since the 60s, though of course they weren't like the systems we've come to use these days. CompuServ was founded in 1969, and the Commodore 64 came out in '82. There was networking software for the Commodore, so, technically, it was certainly possible.

I was using Apple's Mac in those days and emailing, so I can't speak specifically to what things were like using a PC. However, on another site, I encountered a writer who evidently has discovered a way to have a character flashback to something someone else experienced. Once I pick their brain, maybe I, too, will have that ability, and then I can tell you what it was like to use one without ever having actually done that. I can't wait!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That does sound pretty exciting. The future, she is here!

I have now done what I consider a fucktonne of errands, and I still didn't get through the list. I've decided it's not worth any more running around to save 2 bucks here and 3 there.

Trevor will understand--there's a baseball game starting real soon and I might just turn it on.

Maryn, who will report highlights to the real fan in the house

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
That does sound pretty exciting. The future, she is here!

I have now done what I consider a fucktonne of errands, and I still didn't get through the list. I've decided it's not worth any more running around to save 2 bucks here and 3 there.

Trevor will understand--there's a baseball game starting real soon and I might just turn it on.

Maryn, who will report highlights to the real fan in the house
The highlights will be great! Do you know what I love about baseball? It's how a 3 to 3 1/2-hour game can be condensed to only its actual action, which is about 9 minutes, in fact. I suppose that's why it's referred to as the thinking man's game. There's plenty of time during a game to do nothing but.

Russ, who used to be a damn good first baseman and short stop.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know how you just have to love the whole person, not cherry pick their traits? For me, that means I have to attempt to generate interest in baseball and music not to my taste. But I can spend a genuinely pleasant evening at a game or concert watching people and thinking whatever, and go home happy.

I'm sure Mr. Maryn has no such difficulties, since everything about me is amazing and wonderful.

Maryn, choking on the lie

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, give it a rest, Maryn. I happen to know for a fact that you are making all this up about Mr. Maryn. Clearly, the mushrooms ate him long ago.

img4701h.jpg

Or look here http://imageshack.us/f/26/img4701h.jpg/ in case the image won't display.

Last edited:

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
If you had told me thirty years ago that someday I would own a device capable of storing several hundred books and which could fit in my purse I'd have laughed myself senseless. I'd have thought you really silly if you'd tried to tell me my prized vinyls would be antiques then.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yeah tech has moved forward rather quickly in my lifetime. When I was a kid we still had rotary phones. in 2000 I took a roadtrip by myself from Los Angeles to Alabama and back by way of the midwest and I didn't have a cell phone (i DID have a pager - whooo). Now I have a small computer in my pocket that I have with me at almost all times and use it to map my walk with the dogs, track my budget, check facebook and AW and email and take and send funny pictures to my friends and sometimes make calls.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Laugh of the day, Russ. Those same chicken mushrooms grew near the same spot this year, too, but not as large a bunch.

My dad worked in computers in the 1950s through his death in the 1970s. In that time, they went from filling a room the size of an elementary school classroom to the size of a large vending machine. Hell, by the time I die, my iPhone will be implanted in my palm or something.

It'll ruin my handball game, if I take up handball.

Maryn, who'd better not

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Not long after I got out of the military, I went to work for Hughes Aircraft Co. (they love us covert types to keep them in good standing for govt. contracts). They had huge mainframe computers the size of large commercial freezers. This was the 70s. Now, my little rinky-dink laptop has more power and capability than those.

I remember one Christmas as a kid when the rich kids in the neighborhood (not me) found the new high-tech device under their trees and in their stockings. It was amazing—a six-transistor, monaural radio, AM only.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My mother-in-law, who'd have turned 100 this year had she lived that long, used to marvel at the changes which had happened in her lifetime. She had an ice box, with ice which kept food cold, as a kid. Fruits and vegetables were seasonal or canned until she was a young adult, when frozen veggies arrived. Phones were party lines and a household had one instrument. Music was a radio or a wind-up Victrola--and the radio was replaced with grainy black-and-white TV, then color, then bigger. (She didn't live to see HD.) She went from flight being something only a handful of daredevils did to war planes to commercial air travel to humans landing on the moon.

Pretty amazing time to have lived. So is ours.

Maryn, who remembers what Russ remembers, probably

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
My grandfather once told me about seeing his first car. We were watching a shuttle launch.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool.

My family says when they were watching the moon landing they called in my great grandmother to watch and she said, "I've seen that show before."

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I reposted in an AW board called Tech Talk and yes, Maryn, Medievalist was there and had a crystalline memory of what one could do 30 years ago.
The Red Sox 4th inning was almost nonstop highlight reel and took a bit more than nine minutes, Russ. I trust Mr. Maryn was pleased, too.

Trevor, enjoying October in the Evergreen State (sans leaf turning)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If there is a Mr. Maryn.

So, I did turn on the baseball game and sent Mr. Maryn three emails with one-sentence summaries of the team's progress. "Instant" my ass. He got home a little after five, which for him is quite early, and he hadn't received any of them.

We walked under heavy clouds today but didn't get rained on. Some of the maples are getting into high color--brilliant rose-reds and a pale orange with elements of pink, all the more brilliant against an ashy sky. My dinkly maple in the front yard still has its regular color leaves, a black-tinged red. No idea yet how colorful it'll be. I'm hoping for red as a crayon.

Maryn, fingers crossed

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
The Red Sox 4th inning was almost nonstop highlight reel and took a bit more than nine minutes, Russ.
Why do folks insist on pointing out the odd exception in a feeble attempt to disprove the general rule? :Lecture:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.