False ET signal.

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a query regarding a false ET signal scenario I am attempting to portray accurately in my story. As it stands, a crew of SETI scientists in space come across a signal. The initial signs point to it being intelligent, potentially from a star system of interest and doesn't correspond to any artificial object in the vicinity. They identify the frequency, perceived direction, type of signal etc. They discover an audio component, it turns out to be an anti climax and all they have done is come across a broadcast from a rogue/abandoned craft.

So my questions are, is it plausible to determine the frequency and still think it might be of ET origin (if the frequency turns out to just be a radio broadcast)?

How likely is it that a team of knowledgeable scientists are fooled into thinking my may have an ET signal on their hands only to find it's come from a nearby space craft. (the craft is abandoned and doesn't appear on any maps).

Thanks in advance

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I don't remember the details, but when they first started that program a signal was noticed that was taken as something from ET. The direction, frequency, etc. were what might be expected. I think it was eventually classified as uncertain. It might have been the ET's sending a receipt of the message to stop, because monitoring was about to start.

They would be able to figure out pretty quickly that it was from nearby, so that would make it less interesting. If a probe sent to Pluto starting sending again; that could fool them.

Last edited:

Diver

keyboard crawler
Registered
Reaction score
There was a signal that's still unexplained, as far as I know. It's known as the WOW Signal and it was detected in 1977 by the Big Ear Radio Observatory at Ohio State University. If you follow the story, it may give you an insight on what the researchers found unique.

Pinpointing the origin of the signal should be straightforward. I think you'd need something more to keep the researchers guessing about its alien origin.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was also going to suggest reading about the "Wow signal." Google that up and do some reading and it will probably help you.

When you do read about it, note that to most of us, we wouldn't "get" what was so special about the signal until it's explained to us.