Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you in the storm's path, stay safe. Do your houses have basements?

Mario, fingers crossed for you.

It's freakishly warm here, a second January thaw, and work at the house under renovation across the street is shaking this house and my bones. Some gigantic vibrating sander or saw? I don't know.

But I think that's nature's way of telling me to suit up and go walking outside while I can.

Maryn, who hates the treadmill in spite of Firefly

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I am draggy this morning. I think it has something to do with being woken by unearthly wailings screaming that doom is upon us. Somehow the sirens you hear on TV don't have quite the weird quality the real life ones do.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn we do have a basement but the rain didn't start until I left for work. I had to dry the shower and lay a towel down for Leela who is scared of storms but I only heard one thunder boom. The storms seem to be breaking up. It was mostly just light rain on my drive in though you could see where water had collected indicating recent heavy rain. I discovered the hard way my umbrella is not in my car when I arrived at work but it was still light rain. I bundled up my office sweater and wrapped myself in a hoodie with the hood over my head and went for it. It was working pretty well until half way to my building - whoosh down pour. I ducked into another building and hung out with a coworker for about 20 minutes to wait it out. I texted my boss to tell him where i was. he's cool. I didn't want to sit at work with wet feet, not fun!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did five miles outside, in January! Granted, it did rain a bit at the end, but I'd have been all right in shorts and a T-shirt. In January!

My feet got pretty wet, since snowmelt meant standing water all the way across the path in places, but my shoes are well broken in and nothing rubbed. So I am content.

Komnena, we don't have tornado sirens here. I'm not sure I've ever heard them in person, although I must have as a kid. I guess I just don't remember.

Maryn, brain like Swiss cheese

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most assuredly. Bring enough vino for us both, if you would.

We drank Friday and Saturday and decided that was enough for a while, but I'm gettin' a hankerin'.

Maryn, who drinks more than she used to

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
A someecard I saw this morning—someone's reading my mind:
"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly grapes actually. Ok, all grapes. Fermented grapes. I'm having wine for dinner."

Last edited:

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, chances are you didn't hear them. It's not a sound you can forget.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, chances are you didn't hear them. It's not a sound you can forget.
In the small Ohio town I recently moved from (good riddance), the sirens were tested every Wednesday at noon. The sirens would also sound, often in the wee hours, when inattentive workers would set them off accidentally. Damn hard not to hear, but rarely would the sirens go off when there was actually an imminent threat. Funny, though, that after a threatening storm had passed, they'd blare the "all-clear" siren, even though there'd been no warning, prior.

Ya gotta love one-horse towns.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that you're no longer there and neighbors cannot find you with pitchforks, can you tell me what town in Ohio? The Kid attended college near Cleveland.

Maryn, who visited the area many times

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, we don't have salt trucks or snow plows.
I bought a weather radio ap last night because we keep saying we need a weather radio but don't get it. They remind us on the news aren't meant to wake us up - that's what the weather radio is for. It woke me up to say we were in a tornado watch. I may change it to only do it for tornado warnings. But I know it works!

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Now that you're no longer there and neighbors cannot find you with pitchforks, can you tell me what town in Ohio? The Kid attended college near Cleveland.

Maryn, who visited the area many times
Have you ever heard of Norwalk, CT or Norwalk, CA? Well, Norwalk, OH ain't them. 'Bout 15 miles due south of Sandusky (Cedar Point—great roller coasters!).

Yeah, we've talked about this before...I think in PM right after you rescued me from the site that shall not be named; best that way.

Where'd your kid go?

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, and there are many, many entertainers from Ohio. Seems like a lot of them are comedians.

If you're into lists, you might find this amusing.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Kid went to Oberlin and often went into Elyria for whatever she needed. It consists of a large mall, chain restaurants, and some so-so hotel chains. But sometimes her needs took her to Lorain, which was a dump populated by mean-spirited people who deserved to live there.

It was weird, where our kids went to school for undergrad. Almost exactly the same distance from home, one due east, one west. So it should come as no surprise that assuming they complete the requirements, they're earning their master and doctorate at ceremonies held the same day, only this time farther apart. If they're both attending, the parental units will be rather torn. The Kid does not especially want to go to hers, but damn, that's a big accomplishment and I think I can bully her into it.

Maryn, mean mommy

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my. WHen I finally finished college, I didn't feel finished becuase I majored in Film and didn't want to persue it as a career anymore. My friend videotaped graduation for me and I sent a tape to my parents and boy was my mom mad at me! It honestly didn't cross my mind becuase I was so meh about it to invite them. oops.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn did not attend the ceremony for getting the PhD. His parents were apparently livid. And of course The Kid is using that to justify not attending when she gets hers.

Maryn, un-eddicated

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine weren't livid. more like dismayed and "well we would have come if you had told us." indignant like. But that's just it, it wasn't a big deal. I would have liked to see them I guess. but...

I went to film school, changed my mind, went to community college part time for a couple years, realized that to change my major I would have to go to school even more years, went back to the film school and talked to the Dean who let me take one more class at the film school and graduate. I didn't even know anyone I walked with.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't attend my college graduation. In part, it was the times, a rejection of established values of our parents. While allowing them to pay the tuition, of course.

Ah, youth!

Maryn, whose kids are more savvy but no wiser

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Youth is wasted on the young. I didn't used to understand that statement. I know I am 36 but with the health problems I've had I feel really old next to the students I work with- even next to my boss who is 32.

My goal this year is to gain back my mobility.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's an excellent goal. What are the small steps which will do it?

Years ago, I had really bad issues with my back. I was in pain or discomfort much of the time. To my great surprise, walking three or more times a week for a minimum of three miles at a brisk pace (for me) made a huge difference. It still bothers me now and then, but a good 90% of the time, it doesn't.

I hope whatever makes you less than perfectly mobile improves as much as my back did when you start doing whatever it is you're going to do. (Did that make sense?)

Maryn, who'd better mobilize herself out the door soon

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could walk whatever distance you were comfortable with and gradually lengthen it, perhaps a block a week.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The snow, she is shoveled. The construction guys across the street apparently view it as entertainment. Because, you know, I'm totally smokin' all bundled up with my nose sniffling in the cold, not to mention older than their moms.

Maryn, mystified

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well my massage therapist had me lay on my stomach then bend my knees so my feet were in the air so my legs made a right angle with the table, if that makes sense. She had me bend my left leg to the side and I did fine, but when I tried with my right, I couldn't. She said that it is not that I can'tbut that I tense up, and told me to relax. "but I don't know how to relax." I say in a small voice. SOOOO i am going to a) get more messages! b) do more yoga again c) work up to dancing in my living room again like I used to, and work out.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Attagirl! Being limber, able to move all your joints in the directions they're supposed to go, seems essential.

Mr. Maryn's joints are okay, but he has tendon issues in his legs, has been told what to do by the doctor, and doesn't do it, so golly-gee, they're not any better. I suspect this is behind dropped things "disappearing," by which I mean he almost never picks up anything he dropped. It's not that he doesn't see it or can't get it, but that he's too tight to bend.

The good side of that is that while I pick up a lot of celery leaves and blobs of jam, I also pick up dropped coins, and they are mine.

Maryn, working for low wages

Status
Not open for further replies.