RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The synod of the Church of England has voted by hefty majorities to allow women to become bishops.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28300618

The crucial vote in the House of Laity went 152 in favour, 45 against, and there were five abstentions. In November 2012 the change was derailed by just six votes cast by the lay members.

In the house of Bishops, 37 were in favour, two against, and there was one abstention. The House of Clergy voted 162 in favour, 25 against and there were four abstentions.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"this is exactly the sort of opportunity and equality for women i had in mind when i liberated this church from rome." - henry VIII

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
With the decision, the Church is acknowledging the importance secular society places on equality, signalling that it wants to end its isolation from the lives of the people it serves.
I don't know, but from what little I've heard of the Church of England, I wonder if it's doing this to keep from fading into total irrelevance.

Perhaps they saw the sudden rise of Sunday Assembly and that put the Fear of Social Change into them.