Wordpress Themes and Serial Story posting

The_Riskbreaker

knows bears make everything worse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, after reading seventy plus posts (with all replies) I thought i'd post here, versus the blog-social network thread. Two questions, quick and dirty, here we go.

1. In the grand plethora of Wordpress themes for authorial websites, how good is a theme with a side navigation bar?
Example: http://www.wphub.com/themes/contrast-by-themeforest/
I think it's kind of cool and modern, but, as people like Medievalist have said, the best layout is black text on white, with no obscure layouts. I get that. Can you still use a theme like this? Or is the ultra-modern feel going to come off like neon green text on black? In other words, is it bad/abrasive?

2. In addition to my published words, I wanted to start a novel that will be released, say, a chapter a week on my website for free. It would be like a webcomic, and be used to get an audience. I'd have a seperate page for it, as well as an archive where previous chapters can be viewed or downloaded as RTF files. I know the idea's good. My question is how to best deal with the older chapter pages. Too many will build up and might consume extra site space, right? Is there a way I could set up an archive page instead that had DL links to each of the old chapters as RTF docs? (using RTF ensures it will work in other office products besides Microsoft) I understand this would start involving FTP and such, and I'm familar with that concept.

Let me know if I was vague on anything. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
1. I took a look, and I personally hate websites with that much scripting. I would find it difficult to read and it would definitely put me off. But I'm a little old-school in my web tastes; others may feel differently.

2. I'm probably not the best person to answer this, as I'm not an expert at all, but I'll give it a stab. I'm not sure quite what you mean by "space," though. Depending on what platform you're using, I can't imagine you'd have a byte limit that would cause you trouble, especially as document files are miniscule compared to things like pictures and videos, but I'm self-hosted (with theoretically unlimited drive space) so what do I know, I could be wrong about that. ;) You can probably figure out whether you need to be worried by glancing at the size of one of your files and multiplying by the approximate number of chapters, and that would give you a quick back-of-the-envelope. I really doubt this would be an issue, though.

If you're wondering about load time, that's probably a more relevant thing to worry about and a good caching plugin can help.

If you'd like some unsolicited advice ;), if I were a reader I'd prefer .pdf's or an an ebook file rather than .rtfs (I probably wouldn't download anyway, though; I'd want to be able to read it in formatted HTML online).

Hope that helps!

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Frankly, I would much rather have the RTFs for the archived parts, if not HTML. PDF and ebook formats can be hugely difficult for readers with vision problems.

I can't really tell from a sample image how the theme would work for reading. It doesn't tell me anything about how lines would wrap in my browser window, whether parts of the page would overlap when I zoom the font size large enough to read, whether it would work well in my default browser or force me to use something else, and so on.

So there you have the half-blind reader's view ;)

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
The theme you linked to is designed to showcase graphic arts and photography not text. There are themes for authors which are make to showcase the text and make it easier to read. Do a search for those type of themes, usually filed under the keyword Minimalist. Publish is one such theme geared toward showcasing the text.

2. Wordpress deals with old files automatically. You can list your archive in various ways. With only text load times are not slow at all. You would only have to worry if you have a graphic heavy website. IF you want folks to download files, uses a plugin such as Download Manager to load your file into. then you can insert the download link into any page or post you want. I use Wordpress Download Monitor.

That way you can upload them at anytime, and insert the link for the download you want, when you want to.

Other authors that do this, make either the downloads require a password (or password protect the posts) so they can track who is reading their work (may make a difference in rights you may want to sell later for print). Author Mary Robinette Kowal is doing this now with her latest book Kiss Me Twice.

You don't need to setup anonymous FTP to download, in fact, you shouldn't. It can be a security risk, and many hosts either don't allow it or charge extra for it. Use a wordpress plugin, like the one I mentioned above or one of the many others.