Save my netbook from bodily harm (sound is broke)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, some how some way, there fails to be sound on my netbook (windows XP, bloody Toshiba.)

I did use a program today called Avidemux (off CNET) to edit videos, and during the process told it to use no audio track, but how that would kill my system sound is beyond me.

Otoh, VLC player fails to have any audio options available when I play my DVD (they are all grey), which is odd. I should have checked if that was just for the DVD menu though...

Winamp- no sound, though it's clearly playing.

Headphones? Zilch.

So, where do I start? Other than telling you folks I love you far far more than my netbook :)

Also, while I'm here, is it possible to uninstall the Toshiba hard disk drive (airbag) protection and install another driver? Where would I find a compatible driver outside of Toshiba?

I'm also ready to nuke the system and start over, but ofc it didn't come with Windows disks and the backup partition never did cooperate in creating a backup disk... Joy.

*grumbles*

Why do we put up with these things?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PS- System restore is not an option. You can guess why.

Though I might be convinced to backup the computer and try it just to see if a miracle occurs and the system restore does work, and the sound does return. It claims there is a point set for yesterday... it claims a lot of things.

Is it possible to call microsoft and complain of an overly buggy windows, or is that like telling a used car salesman my 95 Chevy I got from them keeps ending up in the shop?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd try installing Linux. Windows sucks on a netbook (even more than usual). Otherwise, I haven't used Windows in ages, so I've no idea. Good luck.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been considering Linux... I wonder if the Toshiba drivers are less sucky on Linux.

Last edited:

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, some how some way, there fails to be sound on my netbook (windows XP, bloody Toshiba.)

I did use a program today called Avidemux (off CNET) to edit videos, and during the process told it to use no audio track, but how that would kill my system sound is beyond me.

Otoh, VLC player fails to have any audio options available when I play my DVD (they are all grey), which is odd. I should have checked if that was just for the DVD menu though...

Winamp- no sound, though it's clearly playing.

Headphones? Zilch.

So, where do I start? Other than telling you folks I love you far far more than my netbook :)

Also, while I'm here, is it possible to uninstall the Toshiba hard disk drive (airbag) protection and install another driver? Where would I find a compatible driver outside of Toshiba?

I'm also ready to nuke the system and start over, but ofc it didn't come with Windows disks and the backup partition never did cooperate in creating a backup disk... Joy.

*grumbles*

Why do we put up with these things?

Funny. I threatened to kill my G1 (the first generation of what was called the Google phone). I actually called up T-Mobile and calmly told the phone rep 'I've got a clawhammer in one hand and the G1 in the other hand. Convince me not to smash this phone and put it out of its misery.' I'd really hate to see all the customer notes in my T-Mobile profile.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Funny. I threatened to kill my G1 (the first generation of what was called the Google phone). I actually called up T-Mobile and calmly told the phone rep 'I've got a clawhammer in one hand and the G1 in the other hand. Convince me not to smash this phone and put it out of its misery.'

And then what happened?

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And then what happened?

The rep very sweetly told me 'Don't hurt your phone. We'll get through this.' Seriously. Then she lied to me, LOL. She told me 'Hold on, Adobe Flash for the Android is on the way.' I have a seven-year-old 'smart phone,' also from T-Mobile, which is a thousand times better than the G1 it replaced, and in fact, I'm still using the seven-year-old phone.

Adobe Flash for the Android was eventually released (two-and-a-half years later) but the software won't work on the now obsolete G1. I drank the Kool-Aid and bought the G1 the same starving way people grabbed the very first generation of IPHONEs - when waiting 6-12 months was a far smarter plan of action.

Edited to add: I have nobody to blame except myself. I also locked myself into an expensive multi-year phone and data contract when I upgraded to the G1. The phone wasn't free, either. Had I waited patiently, I would have read the nasty G1 reviews the other suckers wrote, and I wouldn't have ended up buying an overpriced doorstop.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering why the lack of Flash made you want to smash it.

Being an early adopter always takes a kind of spirit of adventure. Maybe I'll be one when I have more money to spare.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering why the lack of Flash made you want to smash it.

Being an early adopter always takes a kind of spirit of adventure. Maybe I'll be one when I have more money to spare.

First, my apologies to the original poster for derailing her subject.

Without Adobe Flash, countless websites won't load, including T-Mobile's own website, and I'd developed other habits over the years with the earlier smart phone I owned. Such as, I was used to very quickly pulling up bus schedules and transit info on the go, information which was all stored in PDF format on the bus company's website. There was no PDF file reader for the G1, just as there was no Flash player capability. It never occurred to me to ask if the phone could do these things, because every smart phone in existence before or since (except for the IPHONE, which still lacks a Flash player) had these basic functions built-in or were easily available through a third-party hack.

There is an upside to the G1. Because it had the power of both Google and T-Mobile behind it, eventually the G1 was able to do some damned amazing things. It runs on a software platform called Android (think of it as Windows XP for your cell phone). The best thing about the G1 was the promise it held for the future. Now there are dozens of netbooks, smart phones and even set-top TV video boxes which run on the Android operating system. I just bought in too early.

Edited to add: There's a very good reason why the IPHONE still lacks a basic Adobe Flash player - Steve Jobs hates Flash, and Apple has taken a stand against it, pushing instead for an open-source program. Flash creates all kinds of headaches and problems - most importantly, these smart phones aren't computers, and even something as gorgeous as the IPHONE was never intended to replace a computer. Adobe Flash is a memory and space wh**e, a demanding girlfriend who needs a lot of attention and a high amount of maintenance. Flash also doesn't play well with all the other software loaded onto smart phones.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I know what Android is and I have an iPod Touch, so I know about the lack of Flash. ;)

I hardly ever visit a website that needs Flash, since I hate it myself anyway. I can't wait for HTML5 to replace most it most places. The lack of PDF capability would irk me far more.

I'm not much of an Android fan, but comparing it to Windows? Ouch.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but is your volume control set to "Mute all"

:gone:

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know what Android is and I have an iPod Touch, so I know about the lack of Flash. ;)

I hardly ever visit a website that needs Flash, since I hate it myself anyway. I can't wait for HTML5 to replace most it most places. The lack of PDF capability would irk me far more.

I'm not much of an Android fan, but comparing it to Windows? Ouch.

Sorry. I was just offering up that explanation in case someone who wasn't tech-savvy happened to read the message later on.

You're right - Flash is kind of a luxury, but the inability to read PDF files was a definite lifestyle clash - after years of being constantly on the go, I was used to reaching into my pocket to find out when the next bus was coming. However, there is an amazing option available now with the G1 and Google Maps, at least in those cities where the transit agencies have agreed to work with Google. If you don't know where you are (and this is the story of my life), just hit the little picture of the map, and when the screen comes up, type in your destination address. The GPS pinpoints your location and then, after clicking the little bus icon, there you are, with instant real-time transit information. No more fumbling with bus schedules stored in clumsy PDF files.

There are other amazing possibilities with the whole Android operating system. On the G1, someone wrote an app which attempts to offer a real-time verbal description of colors, as well as instantaneous navigation. The app doesn't work very well, but I'm impressed with the idea someone is even thinking about these kinds of possibilities.

Edited to add - I aimed the phone at my gray-and white cat, and the damned phone correctly announced 'gray', 'white', and green for her eyes, and on a spot of her fur clearly mixed gray and white, it recognized 'this color is both gray and white.' F--ing scary stuff. You don't even press a button - you just aim the G1 at the object and it tells you the color. It's not consistent, and actually talks too much, almost like the person who wrote the program tried to make it do too much, but it's still amazing.

I checked out a book from the library on writing programs for the Android, and the book might as well have been written in Chinese, because I couldn't understand it, but there are other people out there who are figuring out how to program a cell phone so it can tell a blind person what color shirt they're about to put on.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Double checks volume* Nope, still all good. Though 'wave' was set super low.... um... *runs winamp* YOU'RE A GENIUS! How did I miss that the first time? I always check the stupid volume thingy when there's a volume quirk.... Go figure.

And no worries on the derail. Made for an interesting read this morning ;)

*Blasts Breaking Benjamin*

At least now I can wait a few days before switching to Linux.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Double checks volume* Nope, still all good. Though 'wave' was set super low.... um... *runs winamp* YOU'RE A GENIUS! How did I miss that the first time? I always check the stupid volume thingy when there's a volume quirk.... Go figure.

*Blasts Breaking Benjamin*

At least now I can wait a few days before switching to Linux.

You solved the sound problem? Wonderful news! :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but is your volume control set to "Mute all"

:gone:

I kind of want to smack you now. :tongue

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well if I had proper speakers I would have heard *something* when I turned the main volume up :tongue

I really don't know how that happened though...

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I had a similar problem a few days ago. I was fooling around with guitar and microphone and new audio interface etc. etc., and my sound vanished. I went a few extra clicks in: Control Panel -> Sound -> Speakers -> Properties -> Levels tab -> Balance -- and LO and behold, L & R levels were down to zilch. Something I did in my recording program (Audacity) changed that globally. *scratches head*

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Well if I had proper speakers I would have heard *something* when I turned the main volume up :tongue

I really don't know how that happened though...

I had a similar problem a few days ago. I was fooling around with guitar and microphone and new audio interface etc. etc., and my sound vanished. I went a few extra clicks in: Control Panel -> Sound -> Speakers -> Properties -> Levels tab -> Balance -- and LO and behold, L & R levels were down to zilch. Something I did in my recording program (Audacity) changed that globally. *scratches head*
That's the way many/most/all? Windows programs work with sound, they tell change the volume by telling the SYSTEM what volume it should play back. Running and watching the sound control panel thing while changing the volume on such an app can be quite instructive. I saw where Winamp's voume varied the volume on the sound control on Win98.

But yeah, that video app should have changed the volume back when you quit it, or when you switched over to another app or something. I'm sure there's UI guidelines for these things.

nonantroll

Registered
Reaction score
Many programs, as BenBradley said, use the System controls to change volume.
That's why I gravitate to those that are independent.
For MP3s, for instance, I use CoolPlayer, a freeware application I really like. I don't have to worry about touching the system levels.
Also, there are freeware utilities that sit in your tray and allow you speedy access to volume and mixer, as well as separate devices. Google for them.

Sometimes, the driver for your sound hardware will become corrupt. Reinstallling the driver will often cure the problem.

My HP laptop require three separate drivers in order to function.

(Don't by HP.)