Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have curfews, which is good since i'm way old enough. But my mum tends to wait up for me if i'm out late. Part of it is because I still look so young, and because to her I'm still, and will always be, her baby girl :p awww how sweet... so she worries. Bless. Does get annoying sometimes though, when I forget to text her if I've arrived somewhere, and she starts panicking lol

ETA: Hey all! I am so tired. Then again, i'm always tired.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Goddessofthehunt, yeah I would not have been able to handle going overseas on my own at 16. But now I think I definitely can, and probably will between semesters of Uni or something. Bah. I'm always too lazy or indecisive to turn any travel plans into actualities. Must fix that this year.

Para, oh wow. That lack of debauched tales *is* quite the achievement, haha.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not sure Lisa, but I have the same problem, so I feel your pain. I don't always naturally include subplots (I don't plot, so I just see what naturally grows out of the story), but my editor suggested I add one into Fall to Pieces and once I got going it was pretty fun. But actually coming up with the subplot and figuring out how to incorporate it was super hard.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I like Isaac's one with his dad, and his mum and her girlfriend, but I don't like the one with his girlfriend, and I don't like the one with Stephan and this girl he has to hang out with, which I already introduced. Gah. >< If I could get away with just the main plot and stuff that goes with it, it would make my life so much easier. I never know when to include them.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
So many characters have subplots! Is it a multi POV novel? I quite like them.

And yeah, I have no answers, haha. I'm also clueless about when to include them. I had too many subplots in the book I wrote before FtP apparently, lawl. Subplot fail all over the place, on my part, really.

ETA: But I do think that a subplot has to do two things to not warrant getting cut -- somehow feed into the main plot, and significantly strengthen characterisation and preferably character arc.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
It's dual POV. Isaac and Stephan.

Based on what you said, it looks like the only subplot that really does those things is Isaac's one with his dad...

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing some fan-fiction at the moment. Morganville Vampires style xD

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
If I left a scene/chapter in for first draft word count purposes, would it make sense?

Oh, and I have all the school stuff.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's the one you like right? :) Is there a way to tweak the other ones so that they do those things. I feel like I should clarify that when I say feed into the main plot, I mean that sort of loosely -- like in some cases, the main plot is just too turbulent and the subplot offers emotional lulls/safe points for the reader to catch their breath or whatever.

And yay for fanfiction writing :D

ETA: I never cut stuff from my first drafts because I like seeing my wordcount swell. So yeah, to me it would make total sense.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. Well, I'll just ignore the other subplots and focus on his dad and the school stuff for now.

I have a feeling this is going to be a short, bare bones first draft. Almost like an outline or something.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
Nope -- I just can't think my way into other people's characters or settings, cause I'm solipsistic like that :p But I quite like reading fanfic :)

Lisa, bare bones drafts are always fun. Means you can knock them out quicker and get to revision (the awesome bit!) faster!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sort of going, (example), "I'll introduce the subplots in the next two chapters, and then talk about the improvements of their relationship in the next one". Which probably means it's moving a bit fast right now.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
Worry about it later! That's always my motto when I'm drafting, lawl.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying not to worry too much with this draft. I will be disappointed if I only have 30K - 40K when I finish it though.

ETA: Actually, I always knew Hannah Moskowitz has short first drafts, but this paragraph from a blog post made things better:

My fast drafts come out very short. BREAK was 27,000 words. INVINCIBLE SUMMER was 23,000 words. The one I just finished was 25,000. This comes with angst, every single time, that the book isn't going to be long enough.

Last edited:

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
My drafts are always either too short (like 40k) or too long (like 110k). I can never hit the sweetspot length, it's a curse, haha.

Also, I just have to say that I love Invincible Summer madly.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to finish this. I think this is the one I want to query.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until you've actually FINISHED it first before wondering if it's worth querying. Honestly, try not to jump before you can jog... if you know what I mean. I always find if you someone is all rushing to finish something, it can have a jinx effect where upon you don't finish it. So you know... keep calm and carry on :p

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
You could always kill her, Ally. :tongue

But seriously, can you say "No, bitch, I hate you and imma cut you if you ever talk to me again?" 'cause that would be awesome.

Or just don't listen and go out whenever you feel like it, and if they get mad at you say, "You don't own me. I have rights."

HAHAHAHAHAHAH Honestly out of all of those options probably killing her would be the easiest.

Option 1 would get me kicked out of the house and living on the streets, Option 2 would have me in a world of hurt for days as she constantly yells at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.