• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chipmunka Publishing

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know how Jason Pegler finds the time - what with him having over 800 authors etc and only a part time helper but here he is again - selling only himself, his 'services' and 'seminars' etc as well as 'publishing' other books for lots of money - and I am talking LOTS and LOTS!! but what is going on here is really serious and dangerous stuff
http://www.howtobeasuccess.org.uk/
http://www.howtobeasuccess.org.uk/buy/
http://jasonpegler.com/
www.overcomingbipolardisorder.co.uk/
http://conquerbipolardisorder.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eajdb...shGhFw&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/user/mentalhealthpublish
http://www.youtube.com/user/CuringMentalIllnes?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/user/EmpowerMentalHealth

Last edited:

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
I have an update about my experience with Chipmunka. Yes, they are an evil bunch and no, I didn't receive what I should have. I have since cancelled my contract with them. However, for me there was a bright side. Because I was so naïve, I planned my own book tour to the UK using my own money. I didn't meet Mr. Peglar but met some wonderful people there who set up speaking engagements for me. I even spoke at St. Johns Wood Library where Sir Paul McCartney lives. I spoke everywhere in London and sold books to fund my trip. My book has great reviews on many websites including Amazon US and UK and although this could have been a horrible setback for me, I turned this experience into something good. I am editing my second memoir and have had some interest from legitimate agents I have checked out. Yet, I think I might go solo this time. Yes, please don't go with Chipmunka. I don't even think he is pushing this side of his "business" ventures anymore. My own "trusting nature, eg. ignorance at least got me noticed. I also made a lot of friends with other disillusioned Chipmunka authors who made his life a bit difficult despite his tough skin. He's a scam artist for sure but I had a bit of fun and a lot of experience about publishing and publicity albeit the hard way. Aloha

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
Am sorry to learn of your bad experience but glad you were well enough to cope with it and take come positives from it. The worry is that many others are not. They are unable to cope with the traumatic fallout that Chipmunkapublishing causes - people who cope with mental distress have enough to deal with without being exploited/manipulated by such outfits. The English Art Council is not recommending them for funding in their next portfolio of supported arts.

If you know of other authors who have bad experiences all I can suggest is that you make sure they seek mental health support, alert the mental health charities,organisations etc and the media etc in their area/country. Also let others know about their bad experiences via the internet etc.

Sometimes self publishing is a good idea as it means you are in charge of the whole process which can be a good idea if you are feeling vulnerable - though sometimes that route can be too daunting for some folk so being managed by a publisher might be preferable but make sure it is a good one this time! Whatever you do I wish you well and look after yourself.

Last edited:

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
Chipmunka is no longer a registered charity

It also has the following disclaimer on its website. They work with Lightning Source, the POD digital publisher. The publishing is all done via their website - it is neither a work intensive nor complicated process. Lightning Source is a slick professional operation and welcomes self publishing. It offers a very economical and efficient method of having a book published/printed. Since Chipmunka say the author is to sign off the book at each stage (it should be the publisher who does that btw) it would make better sense to self publish with Lightning Source. As to editing - experiences suggest that is either non existent or limited. Lightning Source offers stacks of guidance and will offer help and support btw Also note that Chipmunkapublishing not only charge a publishing fee but also an additional fee for editing.

Disclaimer: We do not provide refunds. The publishing process is a very work intensive and complicated service. We work with one of the largest and most respected print and distribution companies in the world. Please remember that it is up to you as the author to sign off your book at each stage of the production process. We provide a professional and patient service as we realise we work with people with mental illness. However, our staff will not tolerate abusive or offensive behaviour.

http://chipmunkapublishing.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=30

Last edited:

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
http://chipmunkapublishing.co.uk/faqs/ - scroll to the bottom - how to stop being published by Chipmunkapublishing -

If you are considering terminating your publishing agreement and wish to cease publication of your book then please read the information below and email us as specified.Are you sure you wish to terminate your contract? Please read the information below and make your decision based on this.
If you are sure you no longer wish to be published by chipmunka, we can remove your book from our website and the trade by way of ceasing the publication of your book with our printers.
Please e-mail us confirmation that you wish for this to be done. Without your written authorisation we cannot proceed.
If Chipmunka were to stop publishing you after your book was out we would take your book off the website and remove your book from the trade, usually within 14 days via our printer and integrator Lightning Source so that no more copies are ever printed. However, as the owner of the intellectual property of your book, it would be your responsibility to contact any websites (e.g. Amazon, or viewable on Google), which may still be offering content from your book after Chipmunkapublishing has notified its printer and distributor to cease publishing and offering your book sales to the book trade. Surplus copies may still be in the trade for which Chipmunka nor you will receive any payment. If you have any doubts or concerns about your identity being on the internet forever, then please consider using a pseudonym or alternative image instead of yourself”.
Chipmunka cannot under any circumstances be held responsible for third parties showing your book. Some booksellers may remove the book within a week others can take months. Chipmunka cannot get into conversations with anyone about the removal of content after we have stopped publishing you neither can our printer.
You retain all rights to your book and can publish it with another publishing house or self publish as you wish.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
http://chipmunkapublishing.co.uk/faqs/ - scroll to the bottom - how to stop being published by Chipmunkapublishing -

If you are considering terminating your publishing agreement and wish to cease publication of your book then please read the information below and email us as specified.Are you sure you wish to terminate your contract? Please read the information below and make your decision based on this.
If you are sure you no longer wish to be published by chipmunka, we can remove your book from our website and the trade by way of ceasing the publication of your book with our printers.
Please e-mail us confirmation that you wish for this to be done. Without your written authorisation we cannot proceed.
If Chipmunka were to stop publishing you after your book was out we would take your book off the website and remove your book from the trade, usually within 14 days via our printer and integrator Lightning Source so that no more copies are ever printed. However, as the owner of the intellectual property of your book, it would be your responsibility to contact any websites (e.g. Amazon, or viewable on Google), which may still be offering content from your book after Chipmunkapublishing has notified its printer and distributor to cease publishing and offering your book sales to the book trade.

Uh, nope. It's the publisher's job to tell Amazon et al that a book is being taken out of print. No one else has the authority to do so. However, a book going OOP won't remove it from sale: it'll remain on Amazon with a "not currently available" note against it, so that second-hand copies can still be sold.

Surplus copies may still be in the trade for which Chipmunka nor you will receive any payment. If you have any doubts or concerns about your identity being on the internet forever, then please consider using a pseudonym or alternative image instead of yourself”.
Chipmunka cannot under any circumstances be held responsible for third parties showing your book. Some booksellers may remove the book within a week others can take months. Chipmunka cannot get into conversations with anyone about the removal of content after we have stopped publishing you neither can our printer.
You retain all rights to your book and can publish it with another publishing house or self publish as you wish.

Again, booksellers do not usually remove books from their online databases: they just make them unavailable, but still visible. And it's the publisher's job to make this happen, not the author's.

This is basic stuff, isn't it? Surely a publisher should know this?

Isca Stieglitz

Registered
Reaction score
I won my court case against them and am now securing "authority" over the ISBN with a printers. When this is done, I will pursue a final avenue and report back.
A few years back, I complained to the Charity Commission, about Chipmunka blanking me & being uncontactable even via the charity arm, and they were removed from the register.
Authors are lured by a plethora of endorsements: New statesman entrepreneur of the year(!); mental health charities; Stephen Fry; David Cameron etc. A mental health charity recommended them to me...little did I know...little do these endorsers know.
Vulnerable people trust the trusted endorsers and are then shafted by an outfit meant to be empowering people with mental illness; oh the irony

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I won my court case against them and am now securing "authority" over the ISBN with a printers. When this is done, I will pursue a final avenue and report back.

ISBNs belong to the publisher which bought them, so you'd probably be better off getting a new ISBN for the book. Otherwise, all sales information and possibly income will be automatically sent to Chipmunka if anyone other than you sells the book. Also, note that you'll need to have rights to use the jacket design, internal design, and any artwork inside the book if you plan on republishing the book yourself.

A few years back, I complained to the Charity Commission, about Chipmunka blanking me & being uncontactable even via the charity arm, and they were removed from the register.
Authors are lured by a plethora of endorsements: New statesman entrepreneur of the year(!); mental health charities; Stephen Fry; David Cameron etc. A mental health charity recommended them to me...little did I know...little do these endorsers know.
Vulnerable people trust the trusted endorsers and are then shafted by an outfit meant to be empowering people with mental illness; oh the irony

Yes, it's a problem. But consider it this way: why would charities know anything about publishing? If you were having problem with your washing machine, would you ask them who to call? No? Then why ask them for advice about publishing?

I'm sorry you've had such a hard lesson. I hope things pick up for you from now on.

Isca Stieglitz

Registered
Reaction score
Apropos the ISBN; what I meant to say is Chipmunka's printers is arranging a transfer of title. I have the copyright & IP, but the transfer of title means Chipmunka can't print it with the same printers any more.
Re: The charity commission. I got Chipmunka removed from the charity register by proving that Chipmunka wasn't adhering to charity commission rules, one being that a charity must be contactable. So yes, it was a procedural reason, rather than anything publishing related.
I'll report back here with the result of our next move.

The short advice to anyone else who's been duped is, go to small claims court. It worked for me, though it took awhile!