• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer's Market / writersmarket.com

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think places like Writer's Digest don't really screen things like this. That's why it's always so important to do lots of cross-checking. Even the Writer's Guide that comes out every year isn't a 100% reliable source.
I can understand it might be difficult to vet everything that comes across their desks but when they regularly include xlibris, iUniverse, and Publish America as potential publishers, something's not right.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm looking for work. They could hire me to check out the background of the people who submit themselves to their list :D

neilfriske

Registered
Reaction score
writersmarket.com (merged into existing BR&BC thread)

I'm not trying to do a commercial for them or anything, but does anyone recommend using writermarket.com? It has a monthly fee, but according to my google searches its the best way to get an agent.

Should i give them my $

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The best way to get an agent is to write a really good book then submit it to the most appropriate agencies.

Writers' Market might help you identify those appropriate agencies, but there are other similar listings and services which will do the job for you for free. Look for agents who represent the sort of books you write (perhaps by finding out who represents authors who write like you), and agents who have a history of making solid sales for their author-clients.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Good, free way to do that: go to Amazon or Smashwords. Look up recently published authors you like (or envy, or both) in your genre. Select the 'see inside' or 'view sample' sections. Look at the first few pages of the book - author dedications often cite agents.

Publishers' Marketplace often has good info in the free browsing sections, but I dream of the day I can afford to buy a subscription.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Abra-ca-necro!

I'm just looking around, trying to get a feel for good ways to start the query process. I ran into the writersmarket.com web page, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any more recent commentary on them, or if maybe anyone has a subscription?

999ghosts

Registered
Reaction score
WritersMarket: the book vs. The website

Quick question.

To find a good publishers list, is the WritersMarket book the right way to go or should I become a member of their site and access their up to date list on the site?

or is there another and beter option.

thank you all!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I'd suggest using an on-line source rather than a print one. Checking out an old copy will give you a place to start, but you're going to have to research the current state of the publisher on-line anyway.

The (Submission) Grinder might be another place to check out. I just did an advanced search looking for places that accept novels, and it brought up 198 results, from the smallest of the small to Baen and Avon. Again, once you have the list you're going to have to vet the publishers yourself.