Re-write or heavily revise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first children's novel and am in the maddening process of trying to polish it.

It got to the point where it was so bad, I decided to re-write it from scratch.

Now I'm re-writing it a second time and have gone through the first MS and found that I actually like at least half of it. Once I got into a rhythm, it was less tell and more show.

Now what? Do I consolidate the three or just go back to the first because it's easier?

My problem is that I've cut a main character and I've gotten so many new ideas, it's almost a new book. But I can't keep doing this or I'll never finish it. Plus I feel like something was missing from the re-write that was very much there in the first draft.

Does anyone else go through this?

Juzzy

Pancakes.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't gone through it yet, but I'm expecting to in a month or two. I'd say keep what you like, and edit or re-write the other parts.

I do feel your pain with cutting the character though; I've decided to cut out two of my not-quite-main-but-still-big characters because if I leave them in it, it's going to end up stupidly long. So I've decided if there's a Book Two, I'll introduce them then.

Either way you approach it, good luck :)

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
I agree - cut and paste, keep the bits you like, get rid of the bits you don't until you come up with something you are at least kind of happy with. Then, if you have time, put it aside for a few weeks. Don't look at it at all, work on something else instead. You'll be surprised how much better (or sometimes worse) your writing seems after you've had a break - it gives you better perspective. If it's worse than you thought, you'll know which parts you need to fix...if it's better, it's all good!

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
How about making a poll in the show your work section? Paste the same or similar scene in three versions and ask people to vote which is best, and try to explain why they liked which. You don't necessarily have to do what the results point to, but getting the feedback on the three should definitely help get your thoughts in order.

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you like your first draft more than your second draft. Maybe try to work your second draft into the first.

Have you tried getting fresh eyes on the works? Maybe get a couple of beta readers and see what they think about the two works in comparison? A work will never seem complete/perfect to the author, but readers will think differently.

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll mainly stick with the first draft and cut and paste parts I like from the others.

Thanks again!

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first children's novel and am in the maddening process of trying to polish it.

It got to the point where it was so bad, I decided to re-write it from scratch.

Now I'm re-writing it a second time and have gone through the first MS and found that I actually like at least half of it. Once I got into a rhythm, it was less tell and more show.

Now what? Do I consolidate the three or just go back to the first because it's easier?

My problem is that I've cut a main character and I've gotten so many new ideas, it's almost a new book. But I can't keep doing this or I'll never finish it. Plus I feel like something was missing from the re-write that was very much there in the first draft.

Does anyone else go through this?

I agree with cut and paste. Take the best parts and smoosh them together and then make them into a cohesive part.
I actually hate to re-write. So I'll never do it, just polish it up until I think it's publishable. You need to make yourself limit how much re-writing you do. Maybe a chapter or two, but not the whole thing.

That's just me though, you gotta do what's right for the story.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think we all go through this similar situation at one point in time or another, but the best thing to do is just try to not be so hard on yourself especially when revising or rereading and maybe it isn't as terrible as you imagine- just do your best. Good luck!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Re-writing versus heavy revision is always a personal decision for the author. Do what feels right to you.

I always revise with reference to the old draft rather than rewriting blind, without looking at the original, but my "revising" switches from minor edits to complete rewrites depending on the page.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
Cut and paste and edit are our friends. :Hug2: yep...all the time. Don't be afraid to splice back in what you like and the edit and revise.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm doing the same thing with a WIP. Actually, this is the fourth (as in one, two, three, four manuscripts) go round, and think this may be the one. Woo hoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.