• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck, Beckstah!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi brightly,

I pasted the first five pages below my query :). Good luck!!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
There used to be conflicting guidance (web site said no and blog said yes), but now the guidance is consistent - up to 5 sample pages within the body of the email, no attachments. (Web site says double spaced.)

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this agency is a "no from one is a no from all" agency? I know they don't say it on their website but their queries all go to a generic email address it seems. I queried Joanna Volpe and it is way past the 8 week mark. I would like to query Nancy now as I just read a book that she agented that is similar in some ways to mine and will appeal to the same readers.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Hi MttStrn,

I don't know for sure, but their blog says:

Q: Can we query more than one agent?

A: Please do not query more than one agent within the Nancy Coffey Literary agency. We are a team and share our projects with one another. If we feel that something is better suited for the other, we do pass the project to that agent.

Last edited:

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm represented by them, and I can say that they do take a team approach at the agency. If a query/book better matches a different agent at the agency, they definitely share it, along with keeping each other posted on each others' clients. As a case in point, I queried Nancy and was offered representation by Sara, their junior associate.

So, sadly, a no from one does mean no from all.

Now, if you drastically improve your query/improve your book, then I would resubmit.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you ericknoe and Mt. Dew Addict.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
I intended to query Ms. Ortiz at her old agency. The query I have now is so much better than the one I directed to Ms. Volpe months ago. I'm hoping there won't be an issue querying Ms. Ortiz when she's open to queries in August. I don't want to seem disrespectful of their guidelines.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
So, sadly, a no from one does mean no from all.

But how is one supposed to know it's a definite "no" from one when there is no response? *puzzled* The Knight agency is the same way but they do send rejections so you know the door is now closed.
I mean, I understand how it works with individual agents, you just write off the agent after several months if they are silent, but when it's a whole agency...

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
But how is one supposed to know it's a definite "no" from one when there is no response?

Totally understand how you feel -- that's something that annoyed me when I was querying, too.

One nice thing about NCL is that they send an auto-response when they receive your query, so that you KNOW they received it. Via their blog, under query log, it says if you don't get an auto-response, either a) you forgot to put 'Query' in the subject or b) the internet demons ate it. Either way, resend.

If you don't get pages requested in two weeks...it's a no. They're small enough that if one thinks your query fits someone else better, she'll tap that agent on the shoulder--the query isn't going back into line. If you hit the two week mark and silence (three/four if you want to be extra-careful or if their Query Log announces that they're behind) -- write them off, eat chocolate, and send to the next people on your list.

Last edited:

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
One nice thing about NCL is that they send an auto-response when they receive your query, so that you KNOW they received it. Via their blog, under query log, it says if you don't get an auto-response, either a) you forgot to put 'Query' in the subject or b) the internet demons ate it. Either way, resend.

I actually love this sort of rejection. I know the query is received. But if I see another email, I know it's good news. If not, chances are I'll have forgotten about it in a few weeks and moved on.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
There is an auto-response? Wow, I somehow managed to miss that, even though I checked the query log (which has the last date of May, 15, so I assumed they haven't read any queries past that date).
Thanks for mentioning this. I'm going to recheck my email now, and if there is no auto-response, I'm resending the query.

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
Any one knows Miss Volpe's turnaround?

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
For queries, she's the no response = no type, and she'll usually respond in two weeks if she's interested. They keep track of their progress here: http://ncliterary.blogspot.com/p/query-log.html

For requested material, she tends to respond fairly quickly. Any time between a day and a month or two. Good luck!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm dropping in to post an update from query purgatory. It's been over four months now and I'm still waiting for the verdict on my last revision. I'm not sure if Nancy has passed and just hasn't told me, or if it's still in the queue. I sent polite emails at the 2, 3, and 4 month points, just to be sure she hasn't already passed on it, but no response. The uncertainty is gnawing at me.

I wouldn't be so ancy if she didn't have the manuscript exclusively. (She didn't ask for that, but I really appreciate her help, pointing me in the right direction during the revisions, and I have no desire to pursue another agent.) Another AW'ler recommended I check Query Tracker for her stats; boy was that depressing. Her average response time on manuscript submissions is 29 days, with the longest positive response at 50. I'm pushing 150. Sigh. I guess that says it all. I just sent another email requesting a status, also informing her I'll begin querying other agents next weekend if I don't hear anything.

There's a faint glimmer of hope that my manuscript is buried under a stack of papers somewhere or at the bottom of her In-Box, still working its way up. But the realist in me says it's time to move on.

This is just so damn disappointing.

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so ancy if she didn't have the manuscript exclusively. (She didn't ask for that, but I really appreciate her help, pointing me in the right direction during the revisions, and I have no desire to pursue another agent.)
Writing is art. Publishing is business. Put on your business hat and get away from the above mentality. Exclusives almost never benefit the writer, an open-ended exclusive is complete BS and volunteering one is ...well, you get the idea.

You're willing to trade anything for some affirmation from a publishing pro. I get that. Many of us have made the same move (*raises hand*). Don't do it again.

You must show respect and value for your intellectual property if you expect others to do the same. Forget that I-have-no-desire-to-query-another-agent crap. You've presumably been away from your manuscript during this ordeal. Great. Look at it with fresh eyes and attack it with all you have. Then query widely. And respect your works and talents. You've already accomplished so much more than 99% of those who've tried. Be proud of yourself and let that pride drive you. This biz is so damned hard and so often disheartening. Keep your chin up and move on. Luck.

Last edited:

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice ND. You're right - what I want most is affirmation (I'll even take rejection). I want to know if I've got it right or if it still needs work.

I sent Nancy an email politely requesting a status, letting her know that if I don't hear anything by this weekend, I'll begin querying other agents. It won't be without regret, as I don't think my writing would have improved as much without her help, but at least I'll be moving toward an answer again, hopefully a positive one.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy finally replied last week, passing for good. It was a major disappointment; she seemed like the perfect agent for me. For others in search of an agent, based on my experience over the last 18 months, you won't find a nicer or more dedicated agent than Nancy. Good luck to those who query her!

TeacherLady

Registered
Reaction score
So Suzie Townsend joined Nancy Coffey. That's some pretty stellar YA agents over there - Joanna and Kathleen and Suzie. So how are we supposed to pick just one?!

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Suzie Townsend back when she was at Fineprint and got a R on the same day. Ouch, but at least she was prompt and kind in the rejection letter.

I assume that it's still okay for me to query one of the other agents at Nancy Coffey, since the R from Suzie was prior to her move there.

nash

nom.nom.nom.nom
Registered
Reaction score
EQ'd SuzieT 1/12 for my young adult ms
Full request next day :)