Crucifixion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRob1

Trained by the soft master
Registered
Reaction score
So, do any of you know examples of crucifixion in fantasy literature or have you used it yourself?

crucifixion was a widely used punishment in roman times. I've been re-watching the HBO series ROME recently and in the first episode they have a crucifixion scene and in other episodes characters say things like "If Caesar finds out we'll both be crucified!"

The only example I can think of is the old Conan movie when Thulsa Doom says "Crucify him on the tree of woe!"

Last edited:

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Well there's a crucifixion in The Drive-In by Joe R. Landsdale, three of them to be exact, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
crucifixion was a widely used punishment in roman times. I've been re-watching the HBO series ROME recently and in the first episode they have a crucifixion scene and in other episodes characters say things like "If Caesar finds out we'll both be crucified!"

Crucifixion wasn't as common in Ancient Rome as people believe. It was a punishment for treason, and crimes against the state. You were more likely to be beheaded, than crucified. As for soldiers, again beheading, decimation and stoning far more common.

As a soldier, I think I would have been more worried about being bludgeoned by my mates in my cohort than crucifixion. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion#Ancient_Rome

Crucifixion was used for slaves, pirates, and enemies of the state. It was considered a most shameful and disgraceful way to die. Condemned Roman citizens were usually exempt from crucifixion (like feudal nobles from hanging, dying more honorably by decapitation) except for major crimes against the state, such as high treason.[citation needed]
Notorious mass crucifixions followed the Third Servile War in 73–71 BC (the slave rebellion under Spartacus), other Roman civil wars in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC, and the Destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. To frighten other slaves from revolting, Crassus crucified 6,000 of Spartacus' men along the Appian Way from Capua to Rome.[citation needed] Josephus tells a story of the Romans crucifying people along the walls of Jerusalem. He also says that the Roman soldiers would amuse themselves by crucifying criminals in different positions. In Roman-style crucifixion, the condemned could take up to a few days to die. The dead body was left up for vultures and other birds to consume.[citation needed]
Under ancient Roman penal practice, crucifixion was also a means of exhibiting the criminal’s low social status. It was the most dishonourable death imaginable, originally reserved for slaves, hence still called "supplicium servile" by Seneca, later extended to provincial freedmen of obscure station ('humiles').[citation needed] The citizen class of Roman society were almost never subject to capital punishments; instead, they were fined or exiled. Josephus mentions Jews of high rank who were crucified, but this was to point out that their status had been taken away from them. The Romans often broke the prisoner's legs to hasten death and usually forbade burial.

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
I think most writers want to avoid crucifixion if only to avoid the religious implications of it. And of course, a crucifixion is incredibly brutal - I can't imagine too many stories where a fully depicted crucifixion would 'fit in' with the mood/descriptors. The only time I can remember seeing someone crucified was in non-book media, i.e. a manga and a comic.

In Fullmetal Alchemist someone is crucified with swords to a cross-shaped stone and then lowered into acid. This is only in the Japanese version, though, as in America they changed it to a simple block of stone. The comic book is X-Men under the authorship of Chuck Austen. It featured an issue that had several young mutant children crucifixed on the front lawn of the mansion. That was one of the lesser egregious things in that arc.

jdwhitelaw

Gone Drinkin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jdwhitelaw.blogspot.com
I agree with the previous poster.

Unfortunately the inevitable Christ analogies would be drawn into the whole characterisation of whoever is being crucified, whether negatively or positively.

If this is the intention then fine of course. But the nature of society, certainly within the Western hemisphere, is the inevitable connection between the two.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
R Scott Bakker crucifies Kelhus (who survives because it's fantasy) who is using his powers to become more than a living god. Maybe not on a T shaped cross, but something much the same.

I know I've seen similar things in other books, can't come up with names though.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Neil Gaiman hung Shadow on the World Tree (which amounts to the Norse version of crucifixion) in American Gods, and there's a scene at the end of one of Guy Gavriel Kay's early novels, too.

Forgot about that one, but the whole idea is a bit different. Odin sacrifices himself to himself, and Shadow was basically doing the same without really understanding.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Neil Gaiman hung Shadow on the World Tree (which amounts to the Norse version of crucifixion) in American Gods, and there's a scene at the end of one of Guy Gavriel Kay's early novels, too.

Yup. In GGK's Summer Tree, Paul is hung on the Summer Tree in sacrifice for three days and three nights. Minor spoiler: He doesn't die, though he's given the name Twiceborn.

GKK blended a lot of different mythic, folk, and religious symbolism in that trilogy (Fionavar Tapestry).

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Because my fantasy takes place on another world that is similar to earth, but not earth, I don't use crucifiction as a form of punishment.

Even though crucifiction was around before Christianity, I want to avoid any Christian images or themes...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Because my fantasy takes place on another world that is similar to earth, but not earth, I don't use crucifiction as a form of punishment.

Even though crucifiction was around before Christianity, I want to avoid any Christian images or themes...
It's difficult if you want to elicit some of those images, but without the religous connotations.

I'd sure like to crucify a character, but I might just settle for impalement.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Generally, crucification was a slow death. You can still achieve this slow death by hanging someone by their arms or feet...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
So, do any of you know examples of crucifixion in fantasy literature or have you used it yourself?
There's a good one in The New Testament, but it might be considered high fantasy and hard to believe by the way it's presented.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with other posters who just would not go there. Using crucifixion is so full of unwanted pitfalls - if you just want to use it as a method of killing a character - that the disadvantages aren't worth the dramatic effect.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
You probably can't escape the Christian connotations. But if you want to use crucifixion in writing, I think you shouldn't let that put you off. Nobody owns it; it's a historical fact that it was done to lots of people who weren't Jesus, and before Christianity was even thought of.

Just be prepared for people's reactions.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was a scene in the Quickening series by Fiona McIntosh, though I don't know which book in the trilogy.

And wasn't there a story abouy how Julius Caesar was captured by pirates, and then later returned to find them and had them crucified?

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
And honestly, Crucifixions were not done the way Jesus was crucified normally. They were hung upside down, but the connection would still be there regardless, I'm sure.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score

The only example I can think of is the old Conan movie when Thulsa Doom says "Crucify him on the tree of woe!"

The crucifixion scene in the 1982 Conan movie was inspired by a similar scene in "A Witch Shall be Born" by Robert E. Howard (Weird Tales, Dec. 1934). You can find it in The Bloody Crown of Conan as well as many other Conan anthologies.

Not so much fantasy crucifixion, of course Odin was speared to a tree to grasp the runes. There were crucifixions in Shogun and The Sand Pebbles, but they were epic, Westerner-in-the-Far-East novels.

I had people broken on a wheel in Crazy Greta, but it's not quite the same.

Wait! I just remembered, The Man Who Would be King! Kipling knew how to do a good crucifixion scene.
http://musapublishing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=221

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
The David Eddings trilogy with Belgarion as hero had a country where they crucified people.

Sirion

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I think it's fairly rare because of the connection crucifixion has with Christ. It can work with Roman-themed stories or fantasy worlds, but showing a cross in any form will evoke a very specific image in the minds of the readers.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
The Angel is crucified in the film Barbarella. If I remember correctly his wings have the nails through them.

TheRob1

Trained by the soft master
Registered
Reaction score
The crucifixion scene in the 1982 Conan movie was inspired by a similar scene in "A Witch Shall be Born" by Robert E. Howard (Weird Tales, Dec. 1934). You can find it in The Bloody Crown of Conan as well as many other Conan anthologies.

Not so much fantasy crucifixion, of course Odin was speared to a tree to grasp the runes. There were crucifixions in Shogun and The Sand Pebbles, but they were epic, Westerner-in-the-Far-East novels.

I had people broken on a wheel in Crazy Greta, but it's not quite the same.

Wait! I just remembered, The Man Who Would be King! Kipling knew how to do a good crucifixion scene.

I forgot about Shogun and I'm a fan of that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.